Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: Is Pandemic Legacy really the most thematic game on BBG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
First let me state that I have nothing against, this game, the legacy concept, or the players, nor I do I expect anyone to change their votes or anything of the sort.

So is Pandemic legacy the most thematic game on here?

This is a difficult question. Can a real world theme overide a fictional or fantastical one, is it how well the theme and mechanics are intereoven together, is it better use of theme or more pefered theme?

I could state that Fury of Dracula is more thematic because it is a follow up the novel, or imperial assault is becuase it happens between the films, but does that make the theme better?

The only game to game comparsion I can think of for Pandemic Legacy is Eldritch Horror. Both games a team of people take limited actions and encounters to world trek and stop the end of the world. Both have characters with powers, both are difficult, both have end game triggers based on decks running out, both have tokens to interact with on location spaces, travel can be difficult in both games, both have character elimination, both have player interaction, both have items, and many other similarities.

Differences, one has dice, combat, narrative diven encounters, stats and stat improvment, written backstories and resolutions, and a dierect antagonist. The other has player named characters, nameable threats, a permanent changeable board, and other differences.

For me personally it is much more enjoyable to play as someone with a known backstory and go on adventure with combat and a variety of events in each new local. I will never forget the time cultist shunk my boat with a canon and my Expedition leader jumped on their boat and knocked out every single one of them.

Pandemic is good game but named character or not for me it just feels like min maxing and action maximization every time, go here, then here, 3 cubes removed, good job.

But this is my opinion, maybe I am wrong.

So is Pandemic Legacy the most thematic game on BBG or is it another game (mine would be fury of dracula), let me know below.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm still waiting on my copy of Pandemic Legacy, so I can't faithfully answer that.

I have a lot of great games with great theme that really floods through and you feel that emersion whilst playing. It's hard though, because once it's a great game and the theme comes out in the game, all those games just get relegated to being great thematic games.

From that point on, the only difference would be for me is if I preferred the theme of one game over the other. But that's were I still fence sit, because if I didn't like the theme I wouldn't have bought the game.

So some of my favourite themed games are;

Twilight Struggle
Descent 2.0
Imperial Assault
X-Wing
Mage Wars
Game of Thrones
Battlestar Galactica

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pillow
United Kingdom
Worcester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The most thematic game in my opinion is a game which feels like the story it is trying to tell, using mechanics to help tell the story.

Robinson Crusoe is my personal Most Thematic Game for this reason.

Some games with lots of interesting characters and great backstory fail this (Pathfinder: the card game for me fails as I felt more like it was an interesting puzzle rather than a RPG in card form).

Original Pandemic feels like co-ordinating a team of people to find cures whilst restricting outbreaks. This feels thematic as the mechanics and the story work together (most of the time).

Pandemic Legacy adds the Legacy deck, which brings surprises and an over-arcing story to the game. Also the rioting city mechanics show a world changed by the outbreak, and rather than in the normal Pandemic game where you may leave a city to outbreak because you will win the game, players may risk it as the city itself is more important.

So I would say Pandemic Legacy is a very good and thematic game but whether it is the best ever... thats up to you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rating system isn't saying Legacy is the "most thematic game", it's saying that among all the games people consider "thematic" that Pandemic Legacy is the overall favorite game on average. So it might not be quite as story or theme driven as thematic games lower in the ratings but its gameplay makes the game exceptionally fun compared to, say, Tales of the Arabian Nights which is entirely theme based but which has gameplay that is essentially a total luck fest.

So no, nobody is claiming it's the "most thematic game", they're saying it's their favorite "thematic game".
29 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I'd like to point out that there is no rating for most thematic game here on BGG. If you filter the rating on thematic games, you will get the highest rated game, that is classified as a thematic game.

So while Pandemic legacy is certainly rated high for the moment, it is for me certainly not the most thematic one in existence. If you check the wiki on thematic games, there are certainly some entries in the examples that I would consider more thematic than pandemic. As to which is the most thematic, I can't really judge on that as I don't play them that much.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Bearhug78 wrote:
Well I'm still waiting on my copy of Pandemic Legacy, so I can't faithfully answer that.

I have a lot of great games with great theme that really floods through and you feel that emersion whilst playing. It's hard though, because once it's a great game and the theme comes out in the game, all those games just get relegated to being great thematic games.

From that point on, the only difference would be for me is if I preferred the theme of one game over the other. But that's were I still fence sit, because if I didn't like the theme I wouldn't have bought the game.

So some of my favourite themed games are;

Twilight Struggle
Descent 2.0
Imperial Assault
X-Wing
Mage Wars
Game of Thrones
Battlestar Galactica



I understand, it can be hard to divide the two, in your head and in your heart. especially if the theme and the game mechanics are so closely married

I think a game that does not get enough credit for being thematic is Android Netrunner. Almost every card and action is dedicated to its theme.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
dugman wrote:
The rating system isn't saying Legacy is the "most thematic game", it's saying that among all the games people consider "thematic" that Pandemic Legacy is the overall favorite game on average.


I know how the ratings work, one of the main reasons I made the post is the qualitative differences between top rated game and most thematic game vs the quantitative display of that information.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales of Arabian Nights would have to be the most Thematic Game in my opinion. It has a rich dynamic story, which changes each time you play it, and lines up well with the Arabian Nights books.

I know a lot of people don't enjoy it because of the page flipping and constant reading, but I love it, and it is definitely my top favourtie Thematic Game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
pillinjer wrote:

So I would say Pandemic Legacy is a very good and thematic game but whether it is the best ever... thats up to you.


Do you think that Pandemic Legacy is more game vs theme (meaning that it gets the love as a game and theme is second)?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
I can't speak for him, but that's certainly my view.

It is very thematic - considerably more so than regular Pandemic, which already has a nice "crisis control room" feel to it and the gameplay follows the logic of the emerging situation. I don't think someone who bought it wanting theme would be disappointed.

On the other hand, it's not even close to being the most thematic game ever. As has been pointed out, that's not what the thematic ranking measures. Pandemic Legacy is a thematic game, and it has superb gameplay.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Part of might be the fact that I am burned out on normal pandemic so I do not even see the theme anymore its just move and stop cubes. I taught this game a lot, and recently at a board game night I put normal pandemic on the table becuase nobody knew what to play and I had never played it with anyone at the table and nobody wanted to play it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcloud357 wrote:
dugman wrote:
The rating system isn't saying Legacy is the "most thematic game", it's saying that among all the games people consider "thematic" that Pandemic Legacy is the overall favorite game on average.


I know how the ratings work, one of the main reasons I made the post is the qualitative differences between top rated game and most thematic game vs the quantitative display of that information.


There is nothing being displayed by BGG saying that Pandemic Legacy is "the most thematic game" and there is no difference between "qualitative and quantitative display". The only person here saying BGG claims it's the most thematic game is you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
One, I only asked if it was Thematic Game on BBG I never stated or claimed that it is in fact the case. I asked this to produce discussion on the topic.

Two, there is big difference between qualitative and quantitative displays of information.

If you a display a number only based on average or averages, a statistic, and then rank that number you have produce quantitative data.

If you do the same thing again and display the same number, or a similar one, and place a new word in front of that number you change the connotation of that data and depending on the use of the word it can make that data appear qualitative instead of quantitative.

I know that most Thematic on the list is most fun or mostly likely to be played/favorite game. I just think it is poor representation of subcategory of, Thematic games, and the information is poorly displayed. If BBG wanted to rank it in such a way there are better ways to gather and display that data.

Lastly, I could troll or hate on you dugman, but I am not here for that. Just here to discuss the topic I posted about.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcloud357 wrote:
One, I only asked if it was Thematic Game on BBG I never stated or claimed that it is in fact the case. I asked this to produce discussion on the topic.

Two, there is big difference between qualitative and quantitative displays of information.

If you a display a number only based on average or averages, a statistic, and then rank that number you have produce quantitative data.

If you do the same thing again and display the same number, or a similar one, and place a new word in front of that number you change the connotation of that data and depending on the use of the word it can make that data appear qualitative instead of quantitative.

I know that most Thematic on the list is most fun or mostly likely to be played/favorite game. I just think it is poor representation of subcategory of, Thematic games, and the information is poorly displayed. If BBG wanted to rank it in such a way there are better ways to gather and display that data.

Lastly, I could troll or hate on you dugman, but I am not here for that. Just here to discuss the topic I posted about.


You are the one misreading the title to think it is trying to say something that it's not. There is no misrepresentation going on. Even you say that you totally understand what the rating means and are not confused by it, so who exactly is being confused by the way BGG is displaying the category rating? Nobody in the thread seems to be confused so far, you are arguing against a problem that doesn't seem to actually exist.

And I'm not hating on you either, despite you implying I'm a troll. I'm just saying you're trying to find a problem when there isn't one.

P.S. Merry Christmas!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Mckinney
United States
Willington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I wrote the title, so I doubt that.

I also never said anyone is confused, just that there is better ways to present and display data.

Have a great Christmas!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcloud357 wrote:
I wrote the title, so I doubt that.

I also never said anyone is confused, just that there is better ways to present and display data.

Have a great Christmas!


I guess I wasn't clear, I meant the title of the category "Best Thematic Games".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.