Subject: Charades for Kids with my kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
As the name suggests, Charades for Kids is a child-friendly version of the classic Charades game. My mother gave this to my boys as a gift and we have really had some fun with it, despite the fact that I generally don't like Charades, but that all changes when playing with my sons. That said, this game does have some limits and is not quite as child-oriented as it could have been.

Game Play
Game play is rather simply. Each player selects a color and places it at the start. Roll to see who goes first. On a player's turn, the player will roll to see which number on the charade card he or she will attempt to act out (there are 3 per card). There are cards with just words on them and there are cards that have a picture and two word clues. After receiving a clue, the player will act out the clue to the player on the left. The guessing player gets only one guess and if that is incorrect, the player to his or her left gets a guess. This continues until someone either gets it right or no one can figure out what the player was doing. Whoever guesses correctly moves two spaces, whoever was acting moves one. No correct guess means no one moves.

There are also All Play Spaces on which everyone gets to guess at the same time. As usual, the player to make it to the finish first is the winner.

My View
As stated above, I've had a lot of fun playing this game with my sons. We tend to not use the gameboard, instead just acting out the various clues. Actually moving on the board just doesn't work yet, perhaps because my sons are too young (3 and 5). But there are also two problems we've run into with the game. First of all, there is a rather limited number of the picture cards - only 50 of them with one picture each. As you can imagine, the result is that the more often we play the game, the more frequently we have the same cards. It kind of destroys the fun of guessing. Most of these 50 cards do have pictures that my sons have been able to act out without any help. The other issue we've run into is that many of the word clues that my wife and I use portray items or concepts that my sons simply could never guess, words like "Tonsils," "Chauffeur," or "Putting up Wallpaper." As a result, my wife I end end up sifting through cards until we can find one our sons can guess.

I imagine both of these issues will ease as my sons get older. They really love the acting part of the game, so I expect to play this with them as they grow up. Despite the negatives, we have enjoyed this game when we've played it. So if you think you can deal with the limits, this is a good one to pick up for some fun with kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.