4 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Influence = remove then place? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
NoName NoLastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With influence, is it possible to move a disc one hex, using only itself as the hex with an influence from which to influence from, even though it means moving it?

In other words, do I "choose targets first and then resolve", or do I "pick it up and then decide where to place it" (if that explained it better...)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules as written are in fact not very clear on this point:

Quote:

By selecting the Influence action, you may move up to two
Influence Discs. These moves may be:
• from your Influence Track, or
from a hex where you have an Influence Disc

to a hex that does not contain an Influence Disc or an enemy
Ship and is adjacent to a hex where you have a disc
or a Ship
, or
• to a hex where only you have a Ship, or
• back to your Influence Track.

So, with the most strict and literal interpretation of the rules as written, this would appear to be possible.

But I have the impression that this is not how the rules are meant to be understood. It has already been clarified that one cannot put the disc back in the same hex, for example, although the rules as written would seem to allow this (see the FAQ). So if my feeling is correct, the rule should be read as:

to a [different] hex that does not contain an Influence Disc or an enemy Ship and is adjacent to a hex where you have a [different] disc or a Ship

but a clarification is probably in order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Feilin wrote:
With influence, is it possible to move a disc one hex, using only itself as the hex with an influence from which to influence from, even though it means moving it?

In other words, do I "choose targets first and then resolve", or do I "pick it up and then decide where to place it" (if that explained it better...)?

The latter. There is no concept of "action decleration" anywhere else in Eclipse, and it is not explicitely mentioned in the INF section as well, so I can not see why it should apply there. The board state is evaluated the moment it needs to be applied, at which time you would be holding the disc in your hand.

"There is no declare; there is only do or don't."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoName NoLastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found what I was looking for:

Official FAQ wrote:
Q: Using the Influence action, I can move an Influence Disc from a hex to its neighbor through a Wormhole connection. May I move the Disc that created this connection in the first place?
A: No. If you move the disc, there is no longer a connection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.