Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy of Loco! for $3 during Fantasy Flight's pre-Christmas sale, but did not have the opportunity to play before today. With the family home due to a snow/ice storm, we decided to play some games and I brought this one out. I explained the simple rules to my wife and son and we were off.

In the first round, my son played all of his high cards early. I explained the advantage of holding on to high and low cards and we talked through the rest of the first round. At the end of the first round, the scores were my son and wife 24 points each, while I trailed at 22.

The second round proved to be a low scoring one as several low cards were played then the round ended quickly as I perceived it an advantage to end it. The round scores were me with 16, my son with 13 and my wife with only 6 points. Totals were me 38, my son 37, and my wife 30.

The final round saw a very tight game and it appeared that my wife would pull out a close victory as I lacked any cards to affect her best color, red. However, my son, in a mildly surprising move, chose to end the round by playing a red 2 instead of a purple card that would add more points to his score. When I asked about it he stated that lowering the red value hurt my wife and me more than the purple card would help him. He was right.

The final round saw my son and I tie with 23 points while my wife scored 45. Final scores were me with 61, my son with 60 and my wife with 15.

A fun game that we will play again soon. I am interested to see if my 4 year old daughter will be able to understand the game, so we will try a 4 player game next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Killoran
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I think it is very impressive for a 5 year old to figure out that last play...go ahead and buy a frame for that upcoming MIT scholarship! It's unlikely that my 8 year old would get that on a first game, but we have not played Loco with him yet. Time to break it out tonight, I guess.

Also impressive is the way you lopped 30 points off Mom's total at the end of your report! 'Bout time we saw some Dad solidarity around here. I hope she doesn't check BGG, or that your couch is comfortable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
xman@pcisys.net wrote:
Wow, I think it is very impressive for a 5 year old to figure out that last play...go ahead and buy a frame for that upcoming MIT scholarship! It's unlikely that my 8 year old would get that on a first game, but we have not played Loco with him yet. Time to break it out tonight, I guess.

Also impressive is the way you lopped 30 points off Mom's total at the end of your report! 'Bout time we saw some Dad solidarity around here. I hope she doesn't check BGG, or that your couch is comfortable.

Yeah, I was surprised too. I'll find out next time if he really understands or if it was luck.

As to Mom's score . . . opps. I actually reversed the two numbers, she scored 15 in the final round and 45 overall. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.