Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that boxes lie about game length, and that even the BGG descriptions are not accurate (understandably, because the length of a game depends on many factors). I am hosting a game night and want to fit two games into three hours. We will either have three, four, or five players. I'm hoping the community can help out with their experience of how long the following games take. The ones that have an asterisk I have played, but are new to the others. Those without an asterisk will be new to the entire group. If we have five, one of the players is prone to minor AP. If we have three or four, we will not have this issue.

Thanks in advance and have a great holiday all!

How long would it take mostly new players to complete these games at 3, 4, and (where applicable) 5 players?
Agents of Smersh
Francis Drake
Robinson Crusoe*
Tikal*
Arcadia Quest
Kemet
Stockpile*
Five Tribes*
Troyes
Alien Frontiers*
Caverna*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes plays briskly and can definitely be played in 75-90 minutes. That said, it is kind of a tricky one to explain, so including set up, explanation, and first time slowness, it would be tough to get it to fit completely within 1/2 your time allotment.

Tikal just seemed to take forever when I played it face-to-face. Hard to plan ahead with 4 players, and then tons to think about when it is your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played it but Five Tribes has the reputation of inducing AP (and from watching playthroughs I can definitely see why), so if your AP-prone player is coming you might want to stay away from that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seth van orden
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd usually let a less biased person answer about Stockpile, but since I've probably taught more new people how to play stockpile than anyone else, I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

When scheduling a play of Stockpile at an convention I only schedule an hour slot for all player counts. I can usually set-up and teach the game in less than 10 min (probably about 5-7 min). I would guess this would take most people around 12-15 min probably. Game play will probably still take you about 45 min for all player counts for the first play and less for faster players and slightly more for more AP prone. If you add the investor cards you could expect this to add another 5-10 min of time for new players. The time typically doesn't change for higher player counts since you also play less rounds.

TLDR: Stockpile play time for new players 45 min - 75 min for all player counts depending on speed of teaching and AP. (Experienced players 30-50min)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We need something to calibrate from. Give an example of a game and how long it takes currently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not the boxes that lie, it is the players that might be unorthodoxly slow.

My groups can usually play Agricola in 1:30 for 4 players. Caverna is the same game length, and both are 30 min / player games.

So what games do you usually run OT on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
It is not the boxes that lie, it is the players that might be unorthodoxly slow.

This applies to my group. There is only four of us but we seem to take forever compared to the norm. I'd look for games that have a set end period. As in they end after X number of rounds or something similar. And usually the more people the higher the play time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.