GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,488 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Blitz! A World in Conflict» Forums » Rules

Subject: US-Japan-A Bomb rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Cornaghie
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1. The US is prohibited from moving any "land" units outside the home country while neutral, but they could transfer the Pacific Fleet to any sea area or rebase to Manila? And for that matter put any naval unit anywhere on the map prior to entering the war?
2. There seems to be no possibility of a Pearl harbor type attack that has much chance of an effect?
3. While the Japanese have an A-Bomb and the rules do not seem to prohibit its development by japan, they have no way of moving it, as no aircraft with a strategic factor of 4 or more, which leads to the question, when built it is deployed in the Japan, so if invaded by the US, can it be exploded for 15 land attack factors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
cctenn wrote:
1. The US is prohibited from moving any "land" units outside the home country while neutral, but they could transfer the Pacific Fleet to any sea area or rebase to Manila? And for that matter put any naval unit anywhere on the map prior to entering the war?
2. There seems to be no possibility of a Pearl harbor type attack that has much chance of an effect?
3. While the Japanese have an A-Bomb and the rules do not seem to prohibit its development by japan, they have no way of moving it, as no aircraft with a strategic factor of 4 or more, which leads to the question, when built it is deployed in the Japan, so if invaded by the US, can it be exploded for 15 land attack factors?

Hi Chris,

1. If I recall correctly, GAR are exempted from the rule about no land units outside of a neutral major power's home country, fyi. But you are correct that air and naval units may rebase while neutral. (This was an historical consideration, from what I've read: should the USA really up the pressure on Japan by putting the fleet first into Honolulu (which Blitz! assumes always happens; technically it did not happen until 1940, iirc), or into a more advanced base like Manila or Singapore? The former is a possibility; the latter only after the USA is in the war.)

2. The Japanese CV Fleets may Port Attack Honolulu, which is of course easiest to do while the USA is neutral and least likely to be prepared. Don't expect the US fleet to sink en toto; it didn't historically either (the elements that were there took heavy damage, but many elements, such as the CVs, were not affected in the slightest).

3. The Japanese Naval Air unit with 9 Naval Factors at Size 2 thus has available 4 Strategic Factors, and therefore could carry the A-Bomb and drop it. The V-Weapon and A-Bomb units may only be used for Factory Attacks. (You could house-rule that they could be used for other types at half value, just like air units; I considered allowing that, but as there was no WW2-era precedent for this, I did not allow it, but it is a reasonable extrapolation.)

Hope this helps,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Re: attacking Pearl Harbor: this happens in about 50% of the games I've seen. Sometimes the Japanese player won't bother; sometimes he will. The damage inflicted is usually 1 to 2 points of damage, iirc, and there is a risk of doing nothing. The real benefit, though, can be pinning down the American Fleet. Japan can then repeatedly Port Attack on successive Blitz phases and regular moves, unless the USA does something to relieve the situation. And in the meantime, the Japanese TRS can be leading invasions around the Pacific, unless the AFA or USA devote other fleets to interfere.

Cheers,
Dave L.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOVE the idea of self defense nuke!

And something the Japanese would have done to us if we hit.

The only modification I would make is that it can only be used in defense, and does its 15 point attack before regular combat, ignoring lettered results.

Note, I am not sure about any of this, but I do think it should be usable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn H
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaveLeLacheur wrote:
Re: attacking Pearl Harbor: this happens in about 50% of the games I've seen. Sometimes the Japanese player won't bother; sometimes he will. The damage inflicted is usually 1 to 2 points of damage, iirc, and there is a risk of doing nothing. The real benefit, though, can be pinning down the American Fleet. Japan can then repeatedly Port Attack on successive Blitz phases and regular moves, unless the USA does something to relieve the situation. And in the meantime, the Japanese TRS can be leading invasions around the Pacific, unless the AFA or USA devote other fleets to interfere.

Cheers,
Dave L.

In what way would the US fleet be "pinned"? By blocking fleets from moving away from the sea zone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.