Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
As per a post in another thread...

ToomanyBarts wrote:
atarilynx wrote:

- There is a typoyuk on two of the cards for each color for the main game. This is acknowledged in the manual on page 10. I am bugged by this. You would think that an anniversary edition for a game that has been around for 20 years would not have a typo. 20 years should be enough time to clean up those errors. It would be nice to have Z-Man provide replacement cards, especially since this game retails for $80.

Agree! Annoying...not being funny, but we've waited 20 years, if they knew cards were wrong before they printed the manual and packed that in the box, delay the release and fix the cards!!

Just wondering if someone could tell me more about this typo or take a picture of it?

Also, the Decennial Edition cards had some typos (according to this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/314663/typos-cards-decennia...) does the Big Box correct the old typos? I'd assume so since it was mentioned that newer editions of the Decennial Edition didn't have typos.

I have the Decennial Edition and am debating on whether I should cancel my order on the Big Box.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdiel Xordium
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can tell you about the typos.

Two of the cards in stack 2 say "Each player" when they should say "Each opponent".

I have the original English RGG version with all expansions that were available for it. But I prefer the Big Box and will end up selling my old version.

Edit:
I've played the Decennial edition, but don't own it. As I recall (the link in your referenced forum post is dead) the card typos were that text was dropped off the bottom of the card, making some of the powers of the action cards unclear. Those typos do not exist in the current version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that's lame. We must be playing it wrong, now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
abdiel wrote:

Two of the cards in stack 2 say "Each player" when they should say "Each opponent".

Are the Big Box cards the same size/graphic design/color as the Decennial version to make one single version without errors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
abdiel wrote:

I have the original English RGG version with all expansions that were available for it. But I prefer the Big Box and will end up selling my old version.

Edit:
I've played the Decennial edition, but don't own it. As I recall (the link in your referenced forum post is dead) the card typos were that text was dropped off the bottom of the card, making some of the powers of the action cards unclear. Those typos do not exist in the current version.

That's unfortunate. "Each player" vs "each opponent" is definitely a huge difference, like when court caballeros have to go back to provinces. Given they had this issue with the Decennial 10 years ago:
"Each player" vs "Your fellow players"
You'd think for a 20-year-anniversary edition they would've put extra attention into that part of the wording given the confusion in previous editions.

As for the (separate) issue of cut-off wording from Decennial, if people are curious what they looked like in the Decennial:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdiel Xordium
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the offending cards in El Grande Big Box:

"Each player" should be "Each opponent".

EDIT:
And as you can see from the previous post, they are not the same size or layout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. Decisions, decisions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this is inexcusable, especially for a hugely expensive anniversary edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance for a replacement from the publisher?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with all. This is inexcusable in a game that has been out for this long. Just ordered it, not knowing this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Evans
United States
Port Angeles
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming, Strategizing, Trading; This is what's best in life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Typos are pretty unforgivable for published writing. That's what editors are for. I'd like to see the publisher print replacement cards as well. The sticky-note I'f placed on the offending cards don't cut it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pretty easy fix once you know the problem. What's more a shame, IMHO, are all the people who buy the game but don't frequent BGG etc, and are essentially playing a different game than the designer envisioned (at least when those cards are in play), and they just don't know any different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soo....what should we do about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson Ijames
United States
Morganton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Any word from Z-Man if they'll offer replacement cards with fixed text?

Edit: Fixed publisher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tschetter
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
grayson21 wrote:
Any word from Rio Grande if they'll offer replacement cards with fixed text?

*Z-Man Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were a misspelled word or a punctuation error I could live with it but this fundamentally changes how the game plays. This should be addressed by Zman and corrected with new cards, printing a correction in the rules is an unacceptable solution in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nivet
Ireland
Cork City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any more typos and incorrections we should be aware of? Does the "Each Player" instead of "Each opponent" misprint affect "only" 2 cards or more?

EDIT: The PDF rulebook available from the Z-Man Games website mentions these two misprints at the bottom of page 1, at least:

http://www.zmangames.com/uploads/4/7/1/7/47170931/en-elgrand...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, these typos do change how those cards work. For such an expensive game I think Z-man should issue replacement cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nivet
Ireland
Cork City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bobnabob wrote:
I agree, these typos do change how those cards work. For such an expensive game I think Z-man should issue replacement cards.

Agreed. Or I'd settle for printable cribsheets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strangly enough the errors aren't in the Dutch version (for a change)...

Is there an overview of all the (correct) cards in English so I can check the rest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have we heard anything back from Zman? I just ordered this not knowing there were typos on the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that huge a deal, because the errors are clearly pointed out and corrected in the manual. You just need to read the rules fully beforehand, and make sure you let every player know about them.

It is annoying, though. I'm hoping that there will be a corrected reprint, and they'll make those corrected cards available to those of us who bought this printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Evans
United States
Port Angeles
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming, Strategizing, Trading; This is what's best in life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd actually like to hear Z-Man's explanation as to why they didn't fix the cards. Was it anything short of simple carelessness?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
It's not that huge a deal, because the errors are clearly pointed out and corrected in the manual.

IMO it is a deal big enough to restrain me from buying this edition, especially considering the price and the fact, that this is 20 years old game, which should be flawlessly published.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
kaszkiet wrote:
xipuloxx wrote:
It's not that huge a deal, because the errors are clearly pointed out and corrected in the manual.

IMO it is a deal big enough to restrain me from buying this edition, especially considering the price and the fact, that this is 20 years old game, which should be flawlessly published.

Same for me. Anyone know if the typos were corrected in the latest print run newly in stock at retailers now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.