Popular Tags: [View All]
David Mitchell
United States
Pine Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to a board game night at a local store and four of us were looking for a quick game to fill some time until more people showed up. We had never tried Golf Mania before and figured it might be fun.

First off, the game was great. We all had a lot of fun and will probably play it again. The game encouraged playing like a cut-throat since every hole you draw back up to five cards. There was quite simply no reason to sit on cards. The cards themselves were all golf themed, but think Caddy-Shack or Happy Gilmore as opposed to PGA: for instance you can give someone the flu an obnoxious neighbor to talk while they are trying to play or play hazzards like "lightning strikes" and "realy big lakes". You also have a wide assortment of gear cards you can play including "golf steroids" which can improve your game but you run the risk of losing all your current holes if you are caught, or the stealth cart which lets you play last. Stress cards let you throw tantrums so people (or even nature itself) will let you have your way.

A few of the cards caused us some trouble, such as one that states the last person to knock on the table after this card is played forfeits the hole. The person playing the card invariable got hit with it since they had to at least read the title of the card as they played it. We stopped playing these cards after awhile (you are allowed to discard one card per hole). And whether or not "no-no" cards could be played to cancel other "no-no" cards. We finally decided that there was nothing explicitly in the rules against it and hoped it would speed up the game.

Which gets me to my only real gripe with the game. It is advertised as a quick "20-25 minute game", but our game took almost two hours to complete and only ended after people started actually helping others to win holes just to end the game. We appeared to be playing the game properly (according to the rules). I don't see how the game would be winnable at all with more than four players. There are only a few cards that can make you lose holes but they seemed to come up far too frequently. The game itself could use a little more balancing, a few more "Stress" cards, get rid of the "last one to knock on the table" cards. But, all in all it was a very fun game.

PROS: Fun game, funny cards and unique concept.
CONS: The game plays very long, probably not "winable" with more than four cut-throat players.

Bottom Line: Defintely worth playing and playing again. Beware the long play time though and the possibility the game may not be winnable with large groups of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FatherNature wrote:
... Which gets me to my only real gripe with the game. It is advertised as a quick "20-25 minute game", but our game took almost two hours to complete and only ended after people started actually helping others to win holes just to end the game.

I got this for my brother (who is not a gamer but is a golfer) for Christmas. I told them that it would only be about 1/2 hour figuring new players and all. There were 6 of us and our game lasted just over 2 hours.

We did have fun and there was a lot of laughing but it did start running long and my brother started playing "No-No" cards to help his wife win. We did have fun but it is not a 15-25 minute game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inntrepid wrote:
FatherNature wrote:
... Which gets me to my only real gripe with the game. It is advertised as a quick "20-25 minute game", but our game took almost two hours to complete and only ended after people started actually helping others to win holes just to end the game.

I got this for my brother (who is not a gamer but is a golfer) for Christmas. I told them that it would only be about 1/2 hour figuring new players and all. There were 6 of us and our game lasted just over 2 hours.

We did have fun and there was a lot of laughing but it did start running long and my brother started playing "No-No" cards to help his wife win. We did have fun but it is not a 15-25 minute game.

My buddy and I played 4 games last night in a total of 1 hour. Apparently larger groups make the game drag out to abhorent levels. I think I will stick to just one opponent - I don't think that I could handle this game lasting THAT long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.