Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M V
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our recent play, someone bought this item from the Vault tableau, and later when it was their turn again, we realized none of us could actually figure out what the effect of this card is or when it can be used, because the phrasing is so confusing ("Reaction: Reduce any Gold cost (not a swap) you would pay to zero").
On first reading, it seems to say you can use it to gain one free buy when you do a buy action... is that it? If yes, does that mean you use this item in the 3rd (Resolution) phase when the purchase is actually made? But then why is it a Reaction? Aren't Reactions only activated in Phase 2 by something another player does?

I must be the only one stupid enough to not get this card, as I haven't seen any questions about it on any forums, but it's really confusing to me.
Would be grateful for some clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kispetya wrote:
In our recent play, someone bought this item from the Vault tableau, and later when it was their turn again, we realized none of us could actually figure out what the effect of this card is or when it can be used, because the phrasing is so confusing ("Reaction: Reduce any Gold cost (not a swap) you would pay to zero").
On first reading, it seems to say you can use it to gain one free buy when you do a buy action... is that it? If yes, does that mean you use this item in the 3rd (Resolution) phase when the purchase is actually made? But then why is it a Reaction? Aren't Reactions only activated in Phase 2 by something another player does?

I must be the only one stupid enough to not get this card, as I haven't seen any questions about it on any forums, but it's really confusing to me.
Would be grateful for some clarification!

I think you more or less have the gist. It reduces any cost to 0.

It doesn't have to be a Buy, but it can't be used on a card that turns Gold into something else (a swap).

So, for instance, you could use it to move the Astronomy marker as far as you want, or purchase an item with a Buy for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
kispetya wrote:
If yes, does that mean you use this item in the 3rd (Resolution) phase when the purchase is actually made? But then why is it a Reaction? Aren't Reactions only activated in Phase 2 by something another player does?

I don't think reactions are limited to actions by other players; reactions can be triggered whenever the reaction's specified trigger occurs (with the rulebook defining some order-of-resolution for multiple reactions to the same trigger, like Grey Mage A-side placing after all reactions to a spell cast)....though I can't guarantee I'm not just inferring that from every other game that has reactions... Buys can occur during resolution or during the placement phase (with the treasure that gives you a buy as an action, for example).

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other reactions that would trigger during the resolution phase, but I don't have the set of cards in front of me.

Now I'm trying to think of all sorts of theoretical cards/rooms that would trigger themselves or other reactions during resolution and not be unclear in function. "Reaction: When you would Draw a card from a deck, you may draw two and pick one"? A room (the archery club?) with "Wound a placed mage" that lets you snipe people later in the resolution order? A fairly expensive mirror-self type spell with "Reaction: When you resolve a slot with an empty shadow slot, you may resolve the slot a second time"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Related question: If I use the Auric Catalyst in the room action that gives me 2 buys, do I have to pay for one of the two buys, or does the Catalyst set the entire action‘s cost to 0?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarod wrote:
Related question: If I use the Auric Catalyst in the room action that gives me 2 buys, do I have to pay for one of the two buys, or does the Catalyst set the entire action‘s cost to 0?

It covers the entire cost of one of the buys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.