Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Niquilibrium wrote:
Is it acceptable to fake my death to keep from playing Phase 10 with the family?

You would have to leave your family and disappear forever. But I guess that's just a minor thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Niquilibrium wrote:
Is it acceptable to fake my death to keep from playing Phase 10 with the family?

Wear a mask so you can cry beneath it. crygoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Niquilibrium wrote:
Propose a house rule that you can complete the phases in any order. Not only does that create the interesting decision as to which phase you will go for, but it creates a nice catch-up mechanism in that the leaders have fewer options.

Pete (never plays Phase 10 with sequential phases any more)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's easy to volunteer to do some task -such a cooking, washing up....raking the lawn, filing an old neighbour's bunions.
I'm struggling to think of some task that's less preferable than playing Phase 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hide the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Crawford
United States
Aubrey
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play for money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Phase 10, is it like Monopoly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Maybe try introducing them to a more interesting Rummy variant? TTR, Mystery Rummy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

Earlybath wrote:

Isn't it what comes after Phase 9?
Do you never complete your games--or are you one those out-of-phase types like Pete (who seems to prefer chaos to the natural order of things)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tanik wrote:

Earlybath wrote:

Isn't it what comes after Phase 9?
Do you never complete your games--or are you one those out-of-phase types like Pete (who seems to prefer chaos to the natural order of things)?

Some people just want to watch the world burn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Niquilibrium wrote:
Propose a house rule that you can complete the phases in any order. Not only does that create the interesting decision as to which phase you will go for, but it creates a nice catch-up mechanism in that the leaders have fewer options.

Pete (never plays Phase 10 with sequential phases any more)

And the first to complete 5 phases wins. My single play of it led me to believe game length was it's biggest crime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually like phase 10 as an app. Never played it irl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Niquilibrium wrote:

No need to, just tell them with a dead pan face that you are suffering with violent diarrhea and couldn't sit through the experience.

In most cases you will get a couple of subdued apologies for your condition but no argument or resentment for not playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Booze. Lots of it. You won't give a flip.

Or you could just be appreciative that you are spending time with your family, doing something that is slightly related to your hobby.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Niquilibrium wrote:
I'd rather dive naked into a swimming pool filled with double edged razor blades than finish this game.

Well, there is your solution. Now to find that swimming pool.
I would suggest: let them dive in first. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
TrojH wrote:
Hide the cards.

(picture of expert level card hiding)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes.

Phase 10 is a pretty bad game, I agree, and I'm willing to play almost anything. But would want to pass. Just bring another game you like and say "this is just like Phase 10."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh, I don't mind Phase 10. There are worse games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Khonnor wrote:

Think of a filler game that lasts at least 3 times what it should, and it gets to the uncomfortably awkward point. Phase 6-7 might be fine, but by the time 8+ hits, you are really looking elsewhere for a different game. Phase 5 would easily be a 6 rated game on the geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Khonnor wrote:

I used to work for the company that makes the app version of Phase 10. Being QA, that means I played the shit out of it, whether I liked it or not.

I also have a physical deck, because that's what happens when you work for a company that's porting a (cheap) card game into an app.

I don't mind Phase 10 as a game. Played once in a while, I don't find it any more objectionable than standard Rummy. If anything, it's more interesting because you have new goals every round (almost every round.)

Like any "old fashioned" card game, though, it does get boring if played too often. It sounds like that's what's happening to the OP. A family who insists on playing it all the time.

My recommendation would be to suggest a few new card games for game night. Coloretto, Guillotine, etc. Mix it up a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That depends. Are you going to jump out of the coffin and yell 'gotcha!'? Because that's perfectly acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you need to look at it as the experience of spending time with your family (an example of the whole point of games as a social enterprise in the first place), and not be obsessed with the nature of the game itself. This sentiment seems to be completely lost by a larger and larger portion of the BGG population every year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain! My wife likes it, but I try to avoid at as much as I can (played once this year). Very afraid of my kids discovering it sometime soon... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Phase 10 is okay if you are a card game player in the more traditional style.

I like it but I actually prefer Sets & Sequences that you play with regular cards better.

My family loves this game as well and it is still fun to enjoy....

We play it or Sets & Sequences when camping with the family

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I usually play rummy games with family and friends is fairly straightforward. We typically do not keep score and play until we (meaning anyone playing) have had enough. Phase 10 is particularly pernicious because it sets a specific end goal that is usually way beyond that 'someone has had enough' point, but many people feel obligated to try for that goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.