GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,232 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Catacombs» Forums » General

Subject: Need some suggestions please. Alternate obstacles. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made 2 types of alternate obstacles so far: columns and piles of gemstones. (See below)

Any thoughts on alternate rules?

Ex: Hit a gemstone obstacle and earn a gold from a broken loose gemstone? (One or two hits?). (Maybe makes heroes slow down in a room to concentrate on more money?)

Ideas welcome. More ideas for alternate obstacles to make?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I built my home made boards for the second edition, I used rubber circles made for putting under furniture. They come in all different sizes, I believe I wound up using 2" diameter, though it's been a long time so I'm not positive of that.

The rubber makes bank shots more possible and predictable, which we thought added to the game.

You can see a photo from an early version at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/912038/catacombs

The only difference between the picture and the final version was that the rubber bumpers in the picture have a slight slope, which turned out to not be very good when disks were flicked hard, as it tended to angle them off the board. The ones I finally wound up with had no slope along the edge, and it worked really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, do you allow players to remove the columns when making a shot? It seems like they would get in the way a lot.

If you do, then the columns seem pretty convenient in that respect, insomuch as they look easy to grab and remove. Removing the ones that come with the game would be slightly more of a hassle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played yet but i will allow removal of the obstacles if needed. They are attached to the bases by magnets so easy to remove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Fire boards, pools of lava should be doable and look good, assuming you aren't averse to a little painting.

For the Ice boards, if you wanted to be whimsical, snow men seems like it would be fun. Or igloos. Or a combination of both.

You could consider making some that are thematically tied to particular monsters or catacomb lords. For example, if the room card reveals a lot of rats and beetles and so on, you could have piles of refuse, manhole covers, etc. Or if the catacomb lord is an Undead, you could have casks, tombstones, and statuary (like gargoyles).

Magic circles seem obvious, and it should be super easy to find graphics for them on the internet so you could just print them out on a color printer and affix them to a disk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas Andrew! Thanks! Any thoughts on new rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I could make some web type obstacles that would trap a token that hit it. This would make players be more cautious.

Other thoughts would be fire or ice columns that could harm or stun heroes but some monsters would be immune?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kiyoshi
United States
California
flag msg tools
For web or other obstacles that a hero would get stuck in, maybe one of those gel bags so when something hits it it just stops instead of ricocheting. Even beanbags could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't find any small beanbags. Don't know what small gel bags are? Link?

Maybe i could make some lava pools out of kinetic sand and shape them to the size of the obstacle discs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benwax123 wrote:
Great ideas Andrew! Thanks! Any thoughts on new rules?

It might be fun to add either items or spells that affect the columns. For example, a Wizard's spell that turns a column into a Firewall that only harms monsters. Or an Ice Princess spell that freezes a column, so an enemy that hits it gets a frozen disk put on top of it. Depending on how powerful these turn out to be, they could apply to more than one, or even all, columns in a room.

I wonder how removing a column and calling it a pit trap would work? If a piece lands inside the cut-out, it's stunned, and when it becomes unstunned, the opponent places it on the board touching the pit trap in his choice of location.

Maybe columns that are ends of a secret tunnel? So if you are executing a rush, if you hit Column A, you are placed on the teleport card, and come into play the next turn within one inch of Column B (instead of along the edge).

A column that represents an objective instead of just an obstacle could be interesting. For example, a treasure chest protected by a magic circle. If the heroes do X points of damage to it, they get a random item card. If 'X' was set correctly, this would lead to some hard trade-offs for the Heroes, in terms of taking extra damage by not killing monsters as fast in exchange for getting a magic item. I'm not sure if it would work better to have the magic item revealed at the beginning, or stay hidden until it's acquired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love these ideas!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~Ryan McSwain
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't see this one yet, which was suggested in an older thread.

Make columns of stacked disks. If they tipple over when hit, they're one more obstacle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea! Like The theme of a weak support column that if hit triggers a cave in. Maybe if the discs that fall hit any enemy or hero disc it does a damage or stun effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lit columns for flicking with ambiance! 3 colors: top activated light blue, bottom activated light yellow, and both lights activated mix!

(Made with 2 different colored tealights glued light to light and surrounded by clear plastic gemstones (thanks thrift store)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.