GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,221 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Scorpion0x17's Legendary Christmas Solo Challenge! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See if you can find some time over this season of harmony and good will to all men to take on Zombie Green Goblin and stop his plans to Build An Army Of Annihilation!

Use:
- Advanced Solo rules.
- All Special Bystanders.
- Sidekicks.
- Sentinel as Annihilation Wave henchmen.
- Final Blow Challenge Mode.

Notes:
- There is A LOT to keep track of in this set up.
- Make sure you read both the Mastermind and Scheme carefully.
- Be sure to keep your victory pile in the correct order.

Score goal:
- Just win!
- Report score in comments if you do win.

I think it IS possible to win this one, with intelligent use of the heroes available, but it is incredibly tough.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried this twice and both times lost to the Evil Wins condition on the Scheme, but also felt like I was really close to winning.

Jean/Natasha/Reed allow you to generate massive amounts of attack very quickly, but Sentinel as the Annihilation Wave group is pretty brutal.

Can you do better than me and win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ling
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
okay, so I just gave it a go. and It's a lot of fun! however unlike those who found it hard, I found it to be quite easy. then again black window and Mr. fantastic are one half of my favorite team, and jean goes well with them. so there is some nice synergy there.

In the end I stood triumphant with only 4 scheme twists played, and 68 points to my name. If anyone would like to get some tips I'll tell you how I did it.

Both black widow and Jean can combo up with rescuing bystanders. abuse the crap out of this. Jean has a card where she will draw you cards whenever you rescues a bystander. and black widow will draw you a card then rescues a bystander.

SO play jean, then black widow. I rescue a bystander, then draw a card. the bystander also draws me a card. oh and also be sure to grab Jeans bonus recruit per bystander rescued

On top of that Mr fantastic can give you a nice focus ability, ficus 2 to add an extra card to your hand at the end of the turn. so you can start your next turn with seven, or eight, or nine cards... Grab some twisting equations It's a nice investment. Especially with the jean+black widow combo that will generate some nice recruit with all the bystanders(recruit) you will be grabbing up Pretty soon you will be starting your turn with your whole deck in hand!

make sure to buy at least one copy of one gigantic fist. you're gonna have a lot of cards in hand might as well turn it into a lot of attack power, but the real kicker is black widow (again) +1 attack for each pystander in your victory pile? on an UNCOMMON? Drop one of these and you can easily get 20+ attack per card! and it only goes up over time.

Lastly back to Mr. fantastic for a minute. for 5 recruit you can get a card that draws you 2 cards. like a sidekick that doesn't return to any stack. worth getting some.

Once you have all the nessessary pieces, It's just a matter of playing them in the right order. "Hmm... gotta put down the cards that give me bonuses for bystanders first." Start off by playing everything that draws cards, but nothing else. need to know what your options are in a given turn.

then drop the cards that will give you goodies for rescuing bystanders. need to make sure you rack up your benefits.

Then drop your Bystander rescues. One at a time. If you can go back a step and start playing more card draw do that. pretty soon? you'll be playing your whole hand!

As soon as you can trigger one gigantic hand after you've done your card draw then do it. Get that hand as big as possible and BAM! a good 15 attack from that.

At the end of the game I was doing 51 attack however. and even then I had some cards in hand I wasn't using because they would draw me cards, and I had nothing in my deck left to draw!

So that's how I did it. Sorry for the text wall. and merry Christmas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

I picked the selection of heroes precisely because of the synergies you mention.

And, I got so very close to doing the same on my first attempt, then the 5th Scheme Twist hit before I had chance to hit ZGG enough times.

Second attempt the combos just didn't come out quickly enough.

Did you put much effort in to managing the Sentinel stack or did you mostly ignore it in the hope of not hitting a fatal Twist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ling
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I hit the sentinel stack the first two times the schemes came along. for two reasons. to clear out some of my starter cards, and to cover over some zombies. once you start generating a lot of attack, you can use the relyable stack of cannon fodder to smack a zombie then one of tem for some (at least temporary) rise blockage.

after that I really didn't need to touch it again. I got to a point where I had planned to clear it, however I had enough attack to simply finish the game. a lucky master strike for ZGG had KO'd Ultimatle nullifier first turn, so he had 12 attack. however I had 51 He only had 2 tactics left. That meant I only had to hit him 3 times.

I actually have my full cards list of what I had left.

Mr. fantastic
Unstable molecules X3
Twisting Equations X2
One Gigantic Fist X1

Jean Grey
Read Your thoughts X3
Mind Over matter X3
Psychic Search X2

Black widow
Dangerous Rescue X1
Mission Accomplished X2
Covert Operation X1

I also had 3 agents and 2 troopers remaining.

If you can manage to build something similar. hopefully you can have similar results. however depending on the order of cards in the hero/villain decks YMMV obviously. Perhaps you can use this as a guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall my exact deck builds in each game, but they were similar.

In short, I know how to beat it (I designed the challenge to be tough, but beatable), I just haven't had the luck of the draw go my way.

In my first game I only had to hit ZGG once more to win (which reminds me, I forgot to include in my OP that it should played using Final Blow (I shall add that now)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3rd attempt: WIN!

Final score: (76-((5x3)+(2x1)))=59

In my final turn I drew my entire deck of 27 cards (including those I bought that turn), rescued 9 Bystanders, and generated 61 attack.

Really fun game. At no point until that final turn did I feel like I definitely had it won. Almost every turn you have to decide between hitting the Villains in the city, the Sentinel Annihilation Wave, or Zombie Green Goblin. As well as what to recruit, and what order to play, buy, and attack, cards in.

EDIT: And, at the end of the game, my deck consisted of:

Black Widow:
Mission Accomplished x5
Covert Operation x1

Jean Grey:
Mind Over Matter x2
Psychic Search x4
Read Your Thoughts x1

Mr. Fantastic:
Unstable Molecules x4
One Gigantic Hand x3

Wound x1

S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent x2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ling
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I always do final blow, so no worries there. and good job on the win! I just ran this set up again, and got 73 points on my second go around. I managed to get 2 of the covert operation card. so that really helped out.

However I had to pay more attention to the sentinel stack, which led me to KOing the entire starting deck, and then some. Yeah unfortunately some of the awesome cards I had been buying had to go.

Did you get to use Mr. fantastic's focus often? I find that's where he is strongest. ensuring you have a LARGE handsize on your next turn cane give you a nice power bonus.

EDIT: My favorite 4 character all hero team Is black widow, wolverine (X-men) Mr. fantastic and Spiderman. these four do some silly damage with their cards draw-bystander rescue. I call this team the 'shenanigans' laugh I usually add a different fifth member every time. Jean is definitely going to be my fifth next time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
link11020 wrote:

Did you get to use Mr. fantastic's focus often? I find that's where he is strongest. ensuring you have a LARGE handsize on your next turn cane give you a nice power bonus.

1st attempt: Yes, a little. I picked it up early, and was able to draw my entire deck a few times. However, I wasn't able to get enough recruit most turns to really make use of it.

2nd attempt: No, not really. Don't really recall why though.

3rd attempt: No, it didn't come out till too late to be of much use. I got Jean's Recruit card early, and then once I had the Jean/Widow Bystander card draw engine going the heroes that kept coming out were mostly other card draw and more attack generation, so, by the time it appeared in the HQ, I just didn't need it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornelius Minor
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.