David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
The description of the game has it as solo playable. Has anyone tried this yet, and if so, how does it play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
The description of the game has it as solo playable. Has anyone tried this yet, and if so, how does it play?

I soloed quite a bit during the game's development. It plays very well solo. All three crusades have randomly drawn activations, which means you never know who's up next (an excellent system for solitaire), and there's plenty of randomization throughout the system to make all the sub-systems work in solo mode. Even combat works well here (especially since there's a formation dieroll followed by the combat diceroll).

I recommend using a semi-random system for decisions of withdrawal before combat, except when it's obvious that a force would want to do that (withdrawal does not itself depend on a dieroll in this game). In the First Crusade, you should treat most or all hold-in-hand cards and play-immediately cards; that will also help.

In fact, now that I think about it, I should have put a section in the playbook about playing solitaire, because the game can certainly support it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Zadiraka
United States
Holland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like playing it solo. And it goes quite quick too.

But I think that what you'll find is that despite how much fun you may have playing it solo, you'll come to crave playing it with others once you can imagine how great that must be! Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nrandall wrote:
I soloed quite a bit during the game's development. It plays very well solo. All three crusades have randomly drawn activations, which means you never know who's up next (an excellent system for solitaire), and there's plenty of randomization throughout the system to make all the sub-systems work in solo mode. Even combat works well here (especially since there's a formation dieroll followed by the combat diceroll)

Hmmm. Seems to me that the solo variant is a Crusades-themed Yahtzee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jedit wrote:

You still have to decide where to move, when to besiege, how to commit your forces. The activation is random solo or no, the combat is random solo or no, so all the important decisions are still being made by yourself. Specifically, what to focus on, how hard you'll put your focus there, what risks you'll take with the moving and attrition, how to besiege a city with the forces you have, what kind of guard to set up once you go to conquer another city. These are all the "core" of the game, while activation and combat are the peripherals that drive the action. This game is no more random played solo than many others. In fact, the random activation really does facilitate the solo play, since you don't have to pretend to "forget" that you're going to react to the move you just played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Quote:

Not even remotely. I don't even understand how you got that out of what I wrote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:

From the guy who rates Go a '1'.

I'll take a salt lick with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
From the guy who rates Go a '1'.

Yes, you will keep banging on about that, won't you? Even after I've explained why - specifically, that I find the game tedious and that far too many of the players are complete dicks with the social skills of a decomposing badger carcass. People like you, in other words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Setting aside your most colourful response, you still have not answered how you feel that "the solo variant is a Crusades-themed Yahtzee." David, do you have better ideas for solo play? goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bentlarsen wrote:
David, do you have better ideas for solo play? goo

No, but then not every game can be played solo with any degree of success. Which I believe was my original question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that most games can be played solitaire, with the exception of games with simultanous , preplotted movement, hidden movement (especially carrier games) and games with auctions. Even many card games can be (and I include Up Front, CC:E and all CDGs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.