Subject: Inferno, with 4 players... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Full Metal Wolf
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
This scenario is okay, but, as you will see, very one-sided. I started with 4 players, me as Invaders, and my 3 best buddies as the Marines. The Marines started off by clearing the starting area of my hellspawn, and proceeded to gather up the weapons. The blue Marine had gotten bot Tough and (ah, forgot the name) the one that gives you 3 extra wounds. He also picked up the armor token in the starting area, and the shotgun, and the extra ammo. This got the othe r2 a bit angry, but they said they could "take me anyway, with or without his help". They opened the room adjacent to the start area, the one with the scientist body encounter. Green got the berserk and killed the Demon(dog) inside with one hit. Red and Green held off the little horde inside the room while Blue fought off the creatures I spawned out of their LOS. Red/Green both died, Blue managed to fight off most of his group of foes, and they opened the next room. Blue rushed at the encounter-room(where Red/Green died earlier) and managed to get trapped in there with no ammo.(A demon(dog) blocked the exit with its body) The blue had only his fists, which did no damage, since he never got a 4 on the die. Red/Green got trapped in the large room they opened, and couldn't close the doors for any of the rooms, since all visible doors had been smashed. A humongous horde, including a mancubus, trapped the two in a tight corridor, Green got seperated from Red, who had a chainsaw, and Green managed to get stuck in a corner, also ammoless and with only his fists, wiith a few trites around him. Some spare trites attacked the Blue guy, who was still trapped. This was how it was, until Red/Green had died enough times to get the Frags to 5/6. Then, the Marines' worst nightmare came true:I drew the hellknight spawn card. I splatted Green against the wall, decided to give them a chance to keep playing by just removing Green permanately and giving both Red/Blue until their next deaths to fight. Next few turns, the hellknight splatted Red into the start area, and my demon(dog) chewed up Blue. Invaders win.
That was the most 1-sided match ever...even more so than Knee-Deep in the Dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy crap, what a slaughter!

Were you guys using the difficulty mods?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You said that the players were out of ammo and had only their fists. Couldn't they use their pistols? The official ruling, unless I am mistaken, is that it doesn't use ammo.

I have to say that inferno was the first scenario I ever played on doom and by getting extremely lucky a couple of times we managed to win (although all three of us were at 1 health - ready to die) It was a very close match, despite our luck. I guess they don't call it inferno for nothing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Full Metal Wolf
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
We were just using the rules and stuff from the main set. We didn't bother to look up the revised stuff.The pistol has a ammo symbol next to it, which means it uses ammo, unless that's part of the revised rules. The only mod we used was giving the pistol infinite range, but that didn't get used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Full_Metal_Wolf wrote:
We were just using the rules and stuff from the main set. We didn't bother to look up the revised stuff.The pistol has a ammo symbol next to it, which means it uses ammo, unless that's part of the revised rules. The only mod we used was giving the pistol infinite range, but that didn't get used.

There are free difficulty mods available on FFG's website. They basically involve giving the marines more ammo/armor/health to help even the odds.

Note too that the "Dud" card has been errata'd, and only works when a shot is fired and no ammo symbols come up. With this change, it is much harder to ammo-starve the marines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Full Metal Wolf
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
The dud card was partly how I got them, but mostly I got some lucky spawns, and the Marines were divided.(Mostly due to Blue's take-all-the-stuff attitude.)That's good about the difficulty levels, since at the end we all felt that the match was a bit too easy for me, and really hard for them. We'll make sure to use an easy difficulty next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Full_Metal_Wolf wrote:
The dud card was partly how I got them, but mostly I got some lucky spawns, and the Marines were divided.(Mostly due to Blue's take-all-the-stuff attitude.)That's good about the difficulty levels, since at the end we all felt that the match was a bit too easy for me, and really hard for them. We'll make sure to use an easy difficulty next time.

A link to the mods:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/doommod1.pdf

They're included in the expansion, but they're free from FFG's website. Most scenarios take some "learning" anyway, so it's best to start folks off on an easier setting.

The Dud thing is HUGE. As printed, you can do ridiculous things, such as steal Ammo before they've even got to use it, or worse, "double" punish them (they roll ammo, you hit them with a dud, boom, they're down 2 ammo!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.