Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a missile rolls equal to or greater than the target ship's speed, it 'hits' according to the rules. But according to hit allocation, it can miss the silhouette and be placed on the chasing missile spot (or whatever it's called). Am i correct then that a missile can 'hit' but then 'miss?'

Thanks,
Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you are correct. Page 49 "Missing with Missles" of the core rule book addresses this.

In a nut shell, the missle gets a fresh attempt to try hitting the ship again. However since it's now "chasing" the ship, the attack would be counted from the rear (instead of whatever other direction the missle would have hit from.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The Siadek brothers (the designers and publishers of "Battlestations!") have made clear on the Yahoo groups discussion that a missile that misses the target goes into the "chasing" box. A missle that "hits" but then misses the target profile inflicts its damage to the hull of the ship, but does not damage/slag any of the ship's modules (it's assumed to have impacted some non-vital area of the ship).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Thanks for the responses.

A quick follow-up: if a missile that hits then goes on to 'miss' and only impacts the hull, how much damage does it do to the hull?

Thanks again,
Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Siadek
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
A missile that misses the silhouette goes into the chasing box exactly as if it had missed due to rolling lower than the speed or a successful dodge by the target ship's pilot.

The full text of the rule on page 49 seems unambiguous to me:

Missing With Missiles
If the missile misses (or if the missile hit allocation roll doesn't strike a module), it will stay with the target moving into its hex with a fresh attempt each phase and continue attacking from the rear until it strikes, is tractored or is destroyed. Place the missile on the 'Chasing Missiles' box on the target ship's control card.

I try to stay active on the Yahoo group and apologize if I've somehow given rise to a differing interpretation of the rule. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify the point.

The confusion might be because a cannon shot that misses the ship's silhouette still inflicts a minimal amount of hull damage. A missile, however, either finds a module to hit or becomes a chaser.

Jeff Siadek
Game Designer
Battlestations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help, Jeff. For me the ambiguous part is the paragraph right before that, where it states that "if the missile attack roll is at least as high as the ship's speed, the missile has hit its target. Roll hit allocation (page 36) to see where the missile strikes for warhead missiles."

Maybe in a future reprinting it would be clearer to say, "...the missile MAY have hit its target. Roll hit allocation (page 36) to see IF the missile strikes ..."

Anyway, the main point is that I've got it now . Thanks again!

Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad. Misunderstood that there was a fundamental difference between cannons and missles that "hit" the target but still "missed" the profile -- thought they were treated the same. Damn, now we've gotta go back and replay two missions in our campaign...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It's time to go Full Chort.
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
mbmbmbmbmb
This was probably the single most difficult thing to get my head around the first time I played the game, so don't feel bad. It is a strange sort of thing, and I think I agree that the wording makes it feel, if not ambiguous, than at least -weird-. "Wait a minute... It made the roll to hit... but then it missed? Huh?" But once you get used to it and internalize it, well, it's actually a rule that I love (as a player, anyway) because it means that missiles will always (once they finally hit) hit something relevant. Nothing is more frustrating that hitting a ship with a nice high power cannon blast only to then do one point of hull damage per level because you missed the silhouette. of course, that's the reason my marine has the Sharpshooter ability... but i digress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Brian. We're about to get together again for our next session (hopefully this week), and the responses here and elsewhere from you and others have been of tremendous help. We had a blast first time and i suspect this time will be even better with all the clarifications.

Thanks again,
Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Peters
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
It's time to go Full Chort.
badge
‎"NO FATE BUT THE NARRATIVES WE IMPOSE ON LIFE'S RANDOM CHAOS TO DISTRACT OURSELVES FROM OUR EXISTENTIAL PLIGHT"
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, if you are playing this game regularly, I highly recommend joining the Battlestations Yahoo group/forum. There is much more active discussion there than there is here on BGG. Though if you primarily want real Official Answers to questions, the Rulings-From-On-High, well the Siadeks seem to keep an eagle eye on the forums here as well, so...
but anyway, if you didn't know, the Yahoo group is at
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/battlestations/
check it out. useful stuff in the files there, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I joined a few days ago, Brian. Good discussions going on over there. Thanks.

Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.