GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,823 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: TGIF Poll #350 - Presents! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Syvanis is a family man, it's a good bet that he is enjoying the holiday with his loved ones right now and doesn't have time to spare for the TGIF poll. So I'm hijacking it again to do a poll that is half follow-up and half original questions.

In a poll from the Geek Weekly with over 400 respondants, we see that 76% of us give at least one board game as a gift this holiday season. To check that against TGIF respondants, our poll's first question contains is worded exactly the same way:

Poll
Are you giving a board game as a gift this holiday season?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes
66.4% 164
No
33.6% 83
Voters 247
If you ARE giving a board game as a gift, who is receiving it?
Someone who is already a gamer
60.8% 104
A non-gamer
16.4% 28
I'm giving board games to both gamers and non-gamers
22.8% 39
Voters 171
Did you yourself end up receiving a game (non video-) this holiday season?
I did receive at least one game
69.0% 171
I did not receive any games
31.0% 77
Voters 248
Did you give a humorously misleading present to anyone this holiday season? (Defined here as a gift whose true identity is disguised as something else, like a brick inside a trading card box or a Dreamcast inside Xbox One packaging)
Yes, I gave at least one person a misleadingly wrapped/packaged gift
12.1% 30
No, I did not do this.
73.7% 182
No, I did not do this, but I did not give any gifts this season anyway.
6.9% 17
No, I did not do this, but I wanted/want to.
7.3% 18
Voters 247
Did you RECEIVE a humorously misleading present from anyone this holiday season?
Yes, I did
9.3% 23
No, I did not
90.7% 224
Voters 247
When you receive a game as a gift for the holidays, how soon do you get around to playing it?
I play it as soon as I open it!
1.3% 3
I play it the same day.
10.2% 23
I play it within a week.
39.1% 88
I play it within a month.
28.0% 63
I'm lucky to play it within 6 months.
19.6% 44
It takes 6+ months for me to get it to the table.
1.8% 4
Voters 225
Did you end up playing at least one game today?
Yes!
59.9% 148
No!
40.1% 99
Voters 247
This poll is now closed.   250 answers
Poll created by kataclysm
Closes: Fri Jan 1, 2016 6:00 am

If you're a fan of polls, you can subscribe to the TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife attempted humourous misleading. She wrapped my stapler in a box to give it heft and 'thunk'. I noticed my stapler missing a week or so before, and asked he if she brought it to work. She said no... I asked her if she wrapped it to make a present heavier. She said 'you don't know me'.

My family gave me board gaming gift cards, it was awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Percival
Australia
Bendigo
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I work for the Catholic Church, so Christmas is a busy time of year for me. I have (and did) get games as presents, but am usually too tired to play them on the day (after two Christmas Eve Vigil and Midnight Masses, the Christmas Day Dawn and late-morning Masses).

Never given a game as a Christmas present, but I have for birthdays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes

2. both

3. I did

4. I didn't this year but I wanted to. In the past I have done several things, including a series of notes directing the recipient to various places around the house (dryer, freezer, toilet tank, etc.). This works really well if you have gifted them a pair of something like socks or gloves. Put one in the box for them to open, and hide the other one at the end of your trail.

5. Yes

6. Within a month

7. No (so far, but its only 7 p.m.)

A tip for anyone who wants to disguise a present of clothing humorously: get an empty cd case and put a penny or other small coin in it and wrap it in the same package as your gift, then shake it in front of the recipient. They will wonder what is making so much noise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, I gave games to several people.
2. In the past, I have tried to be the gaming evangelist by gifting games to non-gamers, with mixed results. This year, all of my gaming gifts went to people who already enjoy games.
3. I was lucky to get a gift certificate to Funagain and a couple of games.
4-5. Yes, our family tends to disguise at least a few gifts each years. I gave and received presents that were disguised this year.
6-7. Like Elric of Grans, I work for the Catholic Church. I'm clergy, so I tend to be pretty busy at this time of year. No gaming for me today - no energy! While I have a gaming event scheduled for next week, the odds of me digesting rules in time for the event are slim, indeed. Also, the folks I will be gaming with for the event are not fans of co-ops and party games (which is what I got this year), so they will probably get to wait for a different group. I think January is a much safer bet. Either that or July...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking over Kat!

I was busy all day. Now everyone is in bed after a day of playing around and I can relax a bit.

I made out like a bandit with 6 new games! I am most excited about Roll for the Galaxy.

I gave each of my boys a bunch of games today.

I didn't give or receive any funny gifts, but I have done that a number of times in the past.

I have played a bunch of games today. My son's two new haha games, we played my older son's Lantern's and before bed my wife and I played Valley of the Kings which I struggled to figure out a strategy for, but enjoyed a first play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trainer BoBondi
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
3261 3237 0158
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I accidentally gave my daughter a misleading present. We got her a set of walkie-talkies, but to make it easier to wrap, I first placed them in an unused expansion box (Village Port, to be exact). The look on her face was priceless, but as I didn't realise beforehand that she'd get mislead, I wasn't ready with the camera. She gave me the evilest eye (she had told me she didn't want any games, whatsoever) and slid the box behind her back, without opening it.

I laughed so hard that it took me a few moments to tell her to look inside the box.

She loves the Walkie-talkies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
I regularly give and receive games as gifts.

Because of all the multiple relationships in my family, our Christmas gift exchanging is spread out over several days. I've received four games so far and expect at least one more.

My wife and I exchanged a few gifts with our younger son Christmas eve, and we played the game, Legendary: Secret Wars – Volume 2, right afterwards.

Many years ago, I gave a Bible to a former girlfriend. I wrapped it, put in a box that I wrapped, put that in another box that I wrapped, and put that in a big box. Above that in the big box, which was wrapped I placed two more nested boxes, each wrapped. In the inner box of that set was a message reading "The truth is worth looking for." Before she got to the Bible she was almost convinced that I simply gave her wrapped, nested boxes.

Today I opened a package wrapped like an irregularly shaped cloth item. Inside was a card with a check.

On Christmas, I had my first play of The Gallerist which I Kickstarted. Today I played Legendary: Secret Wars – Volume 2 with my younger son again.

Hopefully I'll get my new games to the table by the end of January.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only do a couple of gifts at Christmas if any. The SO knows I don't need more games and I probably already bought what I really wanted, and the SO has enough games via my games so... no games. I've been warned that I have a game gift budget of giving a few games ever and I'd better save them for something really special.

I like the misleading wrapping idea but these days Christmas or birthday gifts don't usually get wrapped or even given on the day of. Half the time they aren't even theoretically wrappable.

Edit: I will give small games to non-gamers, things like No Thanks! or Star Realms, especially for something like a housewarming. And I'm looking forward to some babies I know getting a little older so I can give them games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
So far 57 people did not receive a game for Christmas. This is sad.

Let's bow our heads in sympathy for our bereft brothers and sisters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
So far 57 people did not receive a game for Christmas. This is sad. Let's bow our heads in sympathy for our bereft brothers and sisters.

I am one of those people, but I need no sympathetic bowing. There are so many games on my shelves that I know how blessed I am, and I take greater happiness in getting to play games I already have than in receiving new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.