Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
PitchCar

Game Overview

PitchCar is a racing game where players pitch or flick their race car around a wooden track attempting to out pitch their opponents. The game could be described as Crockinole with a twist.

Each player selects a racing pawn and completes one lap of the track counting the number of pitches it takes. The player with the least amount has pole position (goes first) for the head to head race.

If a car leaves the track, it is placed where it was pitched from and the next player goes.

If your car makes another car leave the track, both cars are placed in the position they were before the collision and the next player goes.

Cars that jump sections of track may only do so over one or two sections and are placed at the pitching point.

Three laps are completed to determine the winner and placings to receive points.

Variants

Two players or two teams begin with car pawns eight sections of track apart. The player or team that catches the other first wins. The variant is called pursuit.

Standard race variations can include knocking other player’s cars off the track and placing the car where the player pitched theirs from. When pitching a car and it flips over, rather than returning the car pawn to the pitching site, it remains where it stops and the player misses a turn.

Game Components

The track sections and car pawns are wooden and appear to be quite durable and well crafted. The pieces interlock like a puzzle and numerous track designs can be built. The track rails are flexible plastic. The box is adequate and has pictures and details of the game. Keep the foam inserts or pieces will rattle around and may be damaged or cause damage to the box. The game is quite heavy for its appearance.

The Rules

The rules were very simple, we raced within minutes of setting up our first track. The rules are printed in 4 languages and consist of one small page each.

Game Play

Game duration is listed as 30 minutes but a race can easily be finished in as little as 10 minutes plus a few minutes for set up. The age is three and up. The game includes 8 race car pawns.

My Rating

Pitch car is a fun, social, laughter inspiring and some times frustrating game to lighten a gaming evening. It is driven by coordination, geometry and sometimes a little luck. I really enjoy the game but after a few rounds at one sitting, it quickly loses its flash.

Where PitchCar shines is as a family game for younger children. My friend's son yelled and cheered and could hardly contain himself as we played.

It also has potential as a competition/ grudge game with friends and family. That said, I will stand by my belief that it gets boring after alot of play in one sitting.

As a family and childrens game I rate it a 9 out of 10. As a gamers game, I rate it a 5.7 out of 10. Overall, I will rate it 6.5 out of 10.

The Good the Bad the Price

Pitch Car is a fun, very social game with good components. The majority of this review has outlined that.

The bad is the price. For $50- $60 (most online retailers I searched), you get 16 small track sections and 8 round wooden disks. Do I like the game? Yes. But what exactly is the mark up on this 1 000 000%. I don't believe that this game was that difficult to produce in concept, creativity or construction. If you are thinking of purchasing pitch car, borrow it first. If you are handy with woodworking, make your own version, it may become a family heirloom.

I really enjoy the game and feel bad for saying so but it is just not worth the price. Game publishers really need to pop a reality pill when 'pitching' a product such as this. We are talking some wooden puzzle pieces, round disks and plastic strips. Specifically, family and childrens games should be affordable. In a world of television, movies and video games, more support and exposure to boardgames needs to be spread. There is so much value to boardgames including, education, skill building, self confidence and family values. High priced games such as PitchCar suffer at the cost.

Thanks for reading my review and enjoy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
basically, anything with wood in it is expensive. Not just games. Make a non wood version (i.e. plastic) and the price will come down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coelestia Canimus
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
Taunton Marathon 2009
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
quentin1 wrote:

I really enjoy the game and feel bad for saying so but it is just not worth the price. Game publishers really need to pop a reality pill when 'pitching' a product such as this. We are talking some wooden puzzle pieces, round disks and plastic strips. Specifically, family and childrens games should be affordable. In a world of television, movies and video games, more support and exposure to boardgames needs to be spread. There is so much value to boardgames including, education, skill building, self confidence and family values. High priced games such as PitchCar suffer at the cost.

I'm sure your final comment is valid, but it's a pity that this is such a widespread perception. The cost of almost any boardgame, which is replayable and has a long useful life (in addition to the attributes that you have identified: education etc etc), compares very favourably in my opinion to the cost of taking a family group to the latest movie (transient two hour visit) or of buying the latest computer game (which unless it's a real classic like Sim City simply gets walked through once and then discarded).

Having said this, my introduction to Carabande was through a set that I made myself. I cut out a single piece board from a large sheet of a composite material (OK it didn't give a variable course, but that didn't matter for the first few hundred laps) and made cars out of beer bottle tops with coins glued in to them to give the necessary weight. This is one example of a game that needn't cost a lot!

Details here: http://tinyurl.com/ypsplc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos to those with the skill, time, patience and tools to do this. I just purchased Pitchcar (it came to $50, no shipping charges). The amount of time, energy and anguish it would cost me to make something like this makes $50 a bargain.

But again - I give mad props to those who enjoy such projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I honestly have no problem with the price I paid. I don't think I could ever tire of this game as it is not something that comes out all the time. I'm not to worried about it losing it's appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skrebs
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quentin1 wrote:
As a gamers game, I rate it a 5.7 out of 10.

How do you guys come up with ratings like this? I have a hard enough time with the scale as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I've spent a little over $120 on my PitchCar stuff so far and have found it worth every penny. So value is certainly relative. (I have the base set and both expansions.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skrebs wrote:
quentin1 wrote:
As a gamers game, I rate it a 5.7 out of 10.

How do you guys come up with ratings like this? I have a hard enough time with the scale as it is.

Just what I was thinking ... and then a 6.5 overall. Apparently the 9 for the family rating doesn't hold much weight.

I wish games that appealed to nearly everyone, like this one, were a lot closer to the top ten games on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.