GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,300 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Hive» Forums » General

Subject: Why the creme color instead of white? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was just wondering if there was a reason the pieces other than black are creme color instead of white for the color edition of the game? Maybe the creme is easier on the eyes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia Milne
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Players associate the cream colour with ivory. Ivory playing pieces have given pleasure to generations of game players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
mbmbmbmbmb

Classic, nicer, elegant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
This user is a professional crastinator
badge
This user is a professional crastinator
mbmbmbmbmb
Ebony and ivory.

Those two have a long history as base material for robust objects.
E.g. (chess) playing pieces, piano/organ keys, violin fingerboards and tuning pegs,...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bonz wrote:
Ebony and ivory.

Those two have a long history as base material for robust objects.
E.g. (chess) playing pieces, piano/organ keys, violin fingerboards and tuning pegs,...

Yeah you're right. It does make sense when I think of it that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noonan
United States
Clayville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
"The druid said the damned thing was friendly... HOW THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW!!!”
badge
Don't poke the Owlbear...
mbmbmbmbmb
'Cause it looks nicer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miah
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the pieces are made of Bakelite, I have a strong suspicion it's not any of the reasons given here, but rather the fact that Bakelite CANNOT stay white. The material oxidizes and yellows pretty quickly, and there is no way to prevent this. It's one of the easiest ways to identify fake vintage Bakelite - if the item is white, it's not Bakelite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryphon Tracks wrote:
Since the pieces are made of Bakelite, I have a strong suspicion it's not any of the reasons given here, but rather the fact that Bakelite CANNOT stay white. The material oxidizes and yellows pretty quickly, and there is no way to prevent this. It's one of the easiest ways to identify fake vintage Bakelite - if the item is white, it's not Bakelite.

Ok, but how do you explaing that the Color version have creme pieces and the Carbon version white ones? So the Carbon pieces are not made of bakelite? I'm pretty sure that the Carbon ones are less creme (but I could be wrong too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miah
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chango wrote:
Gryphon Tracks wrote:

Ok, but how do you explaing that the Color version have creme pieces and the Carbon version white ones? So the Carbon pieces are not made of bakelite? I'm pretty sure that the Carbon ones are less creme (but I could be wrong too).

That's the real mystery! I noticed after posting that the Carbon white pieces are indeed true white. Not sure why they went that way for Carbon, unless they thought the off-white just didn't look "Carbony" enough.

Could also be the Carbon pieces are not Bakelite after all, but a similar material that is not supposed to patinize like Bakelite does. There are a bunch of companies that make faux-Bakelite jewelry and other items from different plastics.

There's nothing wrong with that per se, except I'm not sure any of these materials share Bakelite's qualities of heat resistance and amazing durability. If those pieces are Bakelite, you could very well pass your Hive set down to your children and grandchildren - the true white pieces will be yellow, but they will still look and feel good. The cream pieces will look even better. No gurantees that any other modern plastic will endure as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryphon Tracks wrote:

I think the Hive pieces are not literally Bakelite. They're just "bakelite" in the generic sense of a material reminiscent of Bakelite (like how people use "xerox" to mean any kind of photocopy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cooper
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They are most likely made from the same urea-formaldehyde resin that modern dominoes are made from. I own three such sets of dominoes: black, (bright) white, and "ivory" (off-white), just like the three colors of Hive pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW the wikipedia article about Hive https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hive_%28game%29 says they are made of phenolic resin, which is used in making Bakelite and many other similar substances. (Bakelite is made from phenolic resin and wood flour.) Apparently phenolic resin is similar to but different from urea-formaldehyde.

But I am not a chemist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miah
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Gryphon Tracks wrote:

I think the Hive pieces are not literally Bakelite. They're just "bakelite" in the generic sense of a material reminiscent of Bakelite (like how people use "xerox" to mean any kind of photocopy).

This could be the case, but Bakelite is still manufactured and used in everything from cookware to auto brakes, aircraft parts and game components like Mah-Jongg tiles, so it's not out of the question. In many cases it's just called phenolic resin, but Bakelite is what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I think the Hive pieces are not literally Bakelite.

How about we call them BakeliKe ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.