Popular Tags: [View All]
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought Runebound (2nd ed.) And I´m the kind of player who is just a sucker for expansions and customizability(!) So my question to all you die-hard `Bounders is: What expansions/types of expansions should I get first?

The large expansions, like Island of Dread...
The Item and Ally decks...
New challenges, like Terrors of the Tomb...
Adventure variants, like Crown of the Elder Kings...
Or some of the character decks ?

Thanks in advance for any insights you might have to share...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Garcia
Philippines
Pasig
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes me glad I haven't asked yet laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Real quick:

Item and Challenge expansions spice up the base game a fair bit and are cheap.

Story decks add variety when you get sick of chasing dragon highlords and change a few mechnics.

Class decks are a bit fiddly, and are at their best when you're looking for more player interaction, but you need one per player.

Big box expansions change the game completely. I like Al-Kalim the best of these so far, but Midnight is also interesting.

In terms of buying them, I'd prioritize them in roughly the above order. You don't really need the big box stuff until you're pretty bored with the main game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Start here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/12332

Play the base game into the ground.

When you start to get tired of it, figure out why - that will tell you which expansions to get first. It really depends on why you are playing the game. Someone playing for the story vs. playing for the gadgets/allies vs. playing to roll dice and kill new creatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! (Even you MrSkeletor!!! angry )
What I´m looking for, is for someone to name the expansion(s) they think are the most FUN! Which expansion of each type (Adventures, items, large expansions...) add MOST to the game, tickles YOUR fancy, you know, the personal stuff!
I´ve done my homework, read all the entries on the GEEK, AND read all the stuff on FFG´s page. But I´d still like to hear what YOU think!
Any others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Most of the expansions seem pretty much 'more of the same' with slight changes. Island of Dread is a change of setting, but not that much more.

I don't think I am a Class Deck kind of person, but will try them some day.

If you like PvP, go for the Elder King mini expansion, I think it is.

I have no interest in Midnight.

I don't have it, but based on what I have heard of it, if I could only have one expansion, I would go for Sands of Al-Kalim as it sounds like it fundamentally changes the game system in a good way, while still being able to play the classic game when you want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
STRAP IN » BURN ON » BLACK OUT
badge
HIT 'EM FROM ORBIT
mbmbmbmbmb
The Adventure Decks (the ones that change the overarching quest) are hands-down must-haves and the biggest bang for your buck. For somewhere around seven bucks you get what amounts to a new game. They're all good so far (and cheap enough for you to pick them all up), but my personal faves are:

The Scepter of Kyros

and

Cult of the Rune.

Listen to the above advice, though--play the base adventure until you're tired of it. This actually takes a little while. Then try the Adventure Decks. I've been playing this since 1st Edition & have no need (or desire) to play the big box expansions yet. The base game (with the various Adventure Decks) has that much novelty and longevity.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bob_the_goon wrote:
Real quick:

Item and Challenge expansions spice up the base game a fair bit and are cheap.

Story decks add variety when you get sick of chasing dragon highlords and change a few mechnics.

Class decks are a bit fiddly, and are at their best when you're looking for more player interaction, but you need one per player.

Big box expansions change the game completely. I like Al-Kalim the best of these so far, but Midnight is also interesting.

In terms of buying them, I'd prioritize them in roughly the above order. You don't really need the big box stuff until you're pretty bored with the main game.

I agree with all of this, but I'd add a few comments.

Item/Ally decks are nice, but you will likely find yourself tossing out a few of items in the first two of thse decks so those may be lower priority for you.

Bix boxes do more than change the game comepletely. They give you a new game that's incompatible with all of the expansion decks. That's fine, but know that going in.

Recommendations?

No class decks.

No big boxes.

Of the 4 Item/Ally decks, get the newer ones first.

Of the 4 Challenge decks, I like Terrors of the Tomb best and Dark Forest least. I haven't played with the new two very much so it's hard to rank them.

Of the 4 Adventure Variants : Scepter of Kyros, Cult of the Rune, Avatar, then Elder Kings. You really don't need to rush out and get these until you start getting a little bored though. I'll never buy Elder Kings because I don't like its endgame. I'll probably drag my feet with Avatar since it's so similar to the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanks again!
This is what I´m looking for !
PERSONAL oppinions on what to get as the first expansions for Runebound!
!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And as for YOU! MrSKELETOR!... I´ve been hanging out here at the GEEK, for just about as long as you, so don´t you go dissing me with your "SIGH! Newbie! Comments!....!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And as for anyone else, getting a little bit tired of this thread, I´m getting a little bit tipsy writing this, so, let´s live and let Runebound live/die on this, shall we...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Touche!
Allright, I´m a newbie here at Runebound...
But as COOL as I might be at games in general, I still need advice and general advice about Runebound, so if I´m still a newbie(!) at this section of the GEEK, please give me as much advice as you can...
And as for you MrSkeletor!, please forgive me if my inquiries about insights into this game don´t live up to your standards!!!! angry

Not to start any personal war, or anythingh, but I DO think you were coming on to me a little bit strong!!!!!
(Not to start any FLAME wars... Or anything... I have been checking out your queries/answers here at the GEEK; and we seem to aggreee on a lot of points!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Not to get in the middle of this lovefest, but there is also a Runebound group on YahooGroups, so you might want to join that group and ask there as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Grandslam... Lovefest or not, your suggestion is much appreciated...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry everybody... Got drunk and stupid yesterday... Guess you shouldn´t be "Geeking" when you´re drinking!

Now onto something completely different!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just add my personal thoughts on the expansions, in case it helps...

I agree with those who say get the "Adventure Variant" decks... they are very good and superb value, changing the game immensely. (excellent if you get 'bored' of the basic scenario)

I also thought Isle of Dread was great too... it changes the feel of the game a lot and adds new features like sea movement etc.

I didn't like Midnight and 'tried to sell' my copy on ebay. I also don't think I'm a class deck person, though these might appeal to the "M:TG deck-building" type player.

I don't know much about Sands of Al-Kalim, and I currently have no plans to buy more Runebound expansions at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
jtspecial wrote:
Not to start any personal war, or anythingh, but I DO think you were coming on to me a little bit strong!!!!!

Umm, being a bit sensitive aren't we?

That's what happens when you bait somebody with dismissive, and frankly condescending, comments.

After you've made that Geek List then you'd have placed yourself in a position to be dismissive, but as we speak it doesn't exist.

Is this a question that has come up often? Well yes, yes it is.

Is that due to any failing of the original poster? Well, searching might have helped a bit but ultimately it has more to do with the large quantity of options and FFG's inability to clearly distinguish their lines. When I first came here, not long ago, I was equally unable to distinguish the purpose of an expansion from its name or look. Even if I had been graced with the abilities to differentiate the two, I wouldn't have known whether they were worth the money without asking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank's point was simply that this question has:

a) been asked many times before;
b) been asked within the last few days prior to this posting;
c) seems to be asked by people who have a real problem in making their own decisions. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but if thread after thread comes up with people asking: "Which expansion is the best?", "Are any of the expansions really worth the money?", "How is Runebound compared to, say, Arkham Horror?", etc., it can get annoying.

The details for the various expansions for Runebound are described adequately by their producer (FFG; keep in mind that extensive detail on every card in every set is counter-intuitive for FFG, since they're producing quite a bit of artwork for only $8US) and have spawned multiple reviews and opinion threads both on FFG's boards and here. It's not necessary to start multiple new threads when the information is already out there, IMO.

That being said, it's a free website, so do as you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:

How about practicing what you preach and answering the man's inquiry?

If I had posted when you initially did then I would have felt a greater compulsion to. However, since many more knowledgeable members have beaten me to the punch, that compulsion ceased to exist. Regardless, how does this absolve you of being abrasively rude? Kinda passing the buck to avoid commentary on one's own actions, eh?

Jackwraith wrote:
Frank's point was simply that this question has...

His point was fairly obvious to anybody familiar with internet forum etiquette (or lack there of). It was his way of accomplishing those goals, not the goals themselves, that lacked a certain refinement or decorum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.