Popular Tags: [View All]
Fraser Anderson
Germany
Ammerbuch-Entringen
Baden-Wurttemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So... what else can be said about Monopoly, I am not going to go over a review of that game since, but what is different in this special edition.

It seems that the Monopoly franchise found a brilliant way to extend the life of an old, floundering product. They release many many "flavoured" editions from the Simpsons to NHL teams, to your local town. I think that even Stuttgart (where I live) has it's own monopoly at this point.

The changes to the game are almost always purely cosmetic, and the Star Wars edition is no different.

The Board:

The central graphic of the board has been replaced with a large montage of images from the Star Wars film. The Emperor, the Millennium Falcon, Luke and Vader are all there, with a lovely big Monopoly Logo splayed across the middle of the board. No original art here, but it is quite a nice collage. This sort of edition is all about the appearance, so they have tried their best to make a pleasing Star Wars centre. I would say it succeeded.

The properties are grouped by planets. I would guess that the Star Wars films did not ever name enough different planets to have all properties different, so each colour group is a planet, and the properties within that group relate to locations on that planet. For example, the blue group (boardwalk and park place) from the original game are now both Coruscant, Imperial Palace room and Imperial Square. The planets represented are (clockwise from GO!) Dagobah, Hoth, Tatooine, Yavin 4, Cloud City, Death Star, Endor, and Coruscant. The railroads have been replaced with Tie Figher, Millennium Falcon, X-wing Figher, and Star Destroyer. Jail and Free parking remain unchanged, but I think they missed the boat here, Jail clearly should have been the detention cell from the first film.

The Pieces:

The standard Monopoly pieces are replaces with high quality sculpts of Han Solo, Chewbacca, R2D2, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Boba Fett, Darth Vader, and a Stormtrooper (no C3p0 or Obi Wan love?)

They look as good as you would expect, but I think everyone will just fight over Boba Fett. Seriously, who is going to choose R2D2 out of that mix?

Cash:

The money, which I suppose is now "credits" is the same denominations and colours as the original, but now feature a picture of a Star Destroyer and what I believe is the Imperial Palace. My edition also came with a number of golden coins for the 1000 value.

The houses/hotels:

The houses are now represented by small molded plastic bunkers, and the hotels by Millennium Falcons for the light side, and Star Destroyers for the dark side.

Both houses and hotels are coloured blue/red depending on the light/dark version, which I think was an odd choice. It would have made more sense to me to have the colours based on functional house/hotel split rather than the purely cosmetic light/dark split.

The deeds:

Nothing interesting here, the usual cardstock with rent rates and house costs. The starship cards also have an image of the ship.

The Cards:

Same quality as standard Monopoly, which is fine. 2 decks, one Rebel and one Imperial. I guess this is to try and keep a little theme, so Luke does not get rewards from the Emperor. I would have loved if the Imperial deck still contained the 'second prize in a beauty contest' card though. Vader could never win 1st place, but he could always force choke the winner and nab the crown.

Overall impression

If you like Monopoly and Star Wars, you will probably want to pick this up just for the aesthetics. It does not really seem like something you would actually bother playing with, but leave squirreled away in shrink wrap in the hopes it will one day become valuable enough to sell.

I generally don't think much of these special edition version, I think they just distract from the core game and put a little window dressing on.

So, if you must have all things Star Wars, knock yourself out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
The only version of Star Wars Monopoly I would recommend (and I have several) is the Episode 1 version. It features a raised plastic board, with spaces to house the title cards, which are made of plastic. When you buy a property you take the titles from the board and place them in front of you. There is never any doubt about which properties are taken. Also, you build skyscrapers rather than houses and hotels. They build upwards by placing one on top of the other.

Jugg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Anderson
Germany
Ammerbuch-Entringen
Baden-Wurttemburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a pretty interesting feature...

If only it was not episode one. jar jar is all I have to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Schlumpf
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was interested in the playing pieces. Can anyone tell me how big they are? Do they match a standard wargaming or model railroad scale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Schlumpfsa wrote:
I was interested in the playing pieces. Can anyone tell me how big they are? Do they match a standard wargaming or model railroad scale?

The Millennium Falcon and the Star Destroyers are not in scale to each other. They are both rather tiny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sandberg
United States
kentwood
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pieces are approximately 1'' tall. The bases are maybe a half inch long

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.