GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,823 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Go» Forums » News

Subject: Google claims to have "quite a big surprise" related to computer Go in store rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting increasingly excited about the progress that we're seeing in the field of artificial intelligence lately: self-driving cars, human-level image recognition, software that composes music...

Now Google and Facebook have begun research on deep learning techniques applied to Go. I read in a Wired article:

Quote:
After Facebook revealed its Go work, Google soon unloaded a response. A top Google AI researcher, Demis Hassabis, said that, in a few months, the company would reveal “quite a big surprise” related to the game of Go. Google declined to say more for this story, and it’s unclear what the company has in store. Coulom, for one, says it’s unlikely Google could so quickly produce something that can beat the top Go players, but he believes the company will take a significant step down that road.

It sounds like the end of human supremacy in Go could be near...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exciting times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Google's AlphaGo is beating 2 dan level players. A match with Lee Sedol is scheduled for March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-dKXOlsf98
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Wired is reporting that Google's program beat the European champion 5-0 in a match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the official press release from Google about their program:

https://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/alphago-machine-le...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
New Scientist is saying the same thing. Note: no handicaps. However, if you note the staggering amount of computational resources (1202 CPUs + 178 GPUs) needed to beat the European champion... that's not something you put together on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

It's an impressive achievement in its own right which happened much more quickly than I thought it would... but at the same time I cannot help but wonder what on earth goes on in human minds that they can stay ahead of that much computational effort. The power expenditure of the brain is between 25 and 40 W, and you cannot run 1400-ish processors on that paltry amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
New Scientist is saying the same thing. Note: no handicaps. However, if you note the staggering amount of computational resources (1202 CPUs + 178 GPUs) needed to beat the European champion... that's not something you put together on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

It's an impressive achievement in its own right which happened much more quickly than I thought it would... but at the same time I cannot help but wonder what on earth goes on in human minds that they can stay ahead of that much computational effort. The power expenditure of the brain is between 25 and 40 W, and you cannot run 1400-ish processors on that paltry amount.

Well, a large part of the power used to run all that hardware just ends up heating up whatever room it´s in anyways Which makes the human brain even more efficient. Basically, a computer cpu is very good at making ONE calculation really really quick(and then the next, and so on), much quicker than humans can. But the brain can make a crapton of those at the same time, which gives it its edge in things like pattern recognition (i.e. faces or Go positions).

I for my part welcome our new (old) Google Overlords!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The five games are here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DeepMind just revealed the dates for the five games against Lee Sedol:

Quote:
The 5-game challenge match will be held in Seoul, South Korea 9th-15th March. Match days: 9th, 10th, 12th, 13th, 15th March.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.