Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone explain how Google Images works--like how they accumulate all those images under a category? Are there staffers who link to any and all content they encounter, tagging it as they go, or what? One reason that I'm curious is that I'm thinking of using their Picasa service, but I don't necessarily want my images coming up in someones search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nairb Attobas
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't really help you in the slightest, but because of your question, I found out that if you type your BGG username into Google Image Search, it'll spit out pretty much all the pictures associated with items you've added to GeekLists.

So, yeah, that helps nobody but I found it interesting.

Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are using Picasa to organize your images on your local hard drive, google cannot access any of your information or pictures. Basically, google sends out "robots" to content available on the Web. When it encounters a .jpg, there are algorithms that take into account things like its filename, surrounding content, other pages that link to the picture, number of users that click on the picture when it comes up in a search, etc. to make a guess as to what it is a picture of.

If your pictures are uploaded to a Web server, there is a chance they can be indexed by google. If they are just on your computer, which is not a Web server, you are fine even if using picasa. Picasa is a nice tool actually.

By the way, for folks who do have a web server and don't want google accessing their pictures, they can put this into their robots.txt file:

User-agent: Googlebot
Disallow: /*.gif$
Disallow: /*.jpg$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Thanks, Rick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.