Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... My friends and I all went out and picked up copies of the Complete D&D Cartoon series and now we are in a nostalgic bliss, we even broke out Hero Quest and started a weekly session for it... But I never really got into the true 'd&d' stuff, but other rpgs and boardgames akin to it. So now I'm curious, and really want to read a D&D novel. I've heard a lot are good, and Ive even heard that some of the stories are actually based on the authors' own roleplaying sessions.
Is there a particular D&D novel that someone could suggest to me that is not only really good, but also very much like a rpg session with several major heroes of different classes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Icewind Dale Trilogy by Salvatore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dragonlance chronicles are probably what you are looking for: the characters are classic stereotyles: from the brooding, mysterious wizard to the dim human fighter and the grumpy dwarf.

The story is so close to a D&D campaign it's embarrassing.

Now, if you want a good story and quality writing, you are probably not going to find it there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Now, if you want a good story and quality writing, you are probably not going to find it there.

You will not find that in any D&D novels. That's not what they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
The Dragonlance chronicles are probably what you are looking for: the characters are classic stereotyles: from the brooding, mysterious wizard to the dim human fighter and the grumpy dwarf.

The story is so close to a D&D campaign it's embarrassing.

Quite right...but holy crap did I love those Dragonlance books when I was an impressionable young reader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read them, but I've heard that Ed Greenwood's Elminster novels are pretty good. They're set in the Forgotten Realms D&D setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
At no point I claimed that the books were a threat to nature and the American way or something like that... it's just that, when someone I don't know much about asks for a book recommendation, I think it's my civic duty to tell them about the bad parts of the book.

There are some D&D books that are much better(or at least less bad), prose and character wise, than the Chronicles. The Legends, for example, or Salvatore's Dark Elf Trilogy, seem to me like better reads as far as D&D fantasy goes. Unfortunately they don't have the same role-playing session vibe that he seemed to be asking for, and that the Chronicles have down to a peg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragonlance is fun, and very much a record of an RPG session. There's better-written fantasy out there - hell, there's better-written by the same authors fantasy out there - but they're an enjoyable read if you don't come expecting anything other than pulp.

In the same vein, I'd recommend Ed Greenwood's Spellfire and Kate Novak / Jeff Grub's Azure Bonds. Both run through some intriguing D&D-style scenarios, and again, while the writing won't set the world on fire and there is more than a faint aroma of cheese about it, they're quite readable.

You've reminded me that I keep meaning to go back and tidy up some of my own 'sessions as fiction' - I have a couple of hundred thousand words of PBEM campaign from a few years back that I was actually relatively pleased with in parts.. Not a whelk's chance in a supernova of being published for real, but it might be fun to re-read and polish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Acosta
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I picked up the first three dragonlance chronicles books for a dollar each used. They sounded closest to what I was looking for. I've heard the Dark Elf Trilogy was pretty good, but thats probably least like an rpg session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.