GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,717 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really fascinated by X-Wing gaming system and it seems really fun all around. But I have no intentions in going all-in or taking part of tournaments and competitive scene.

So I'm wondering what would be recommended for me to buy in order to have good and quality X-Wing vs Tie Fighter combat between two players (or between two two-player teams).

While I could just get bunch of X-Wings and Tie Fighters, I do want some variety in pilots and whatnot, so that there would be some color and contrast to the game for players to try out.

I am primarily interested in dogfight aspect of the game and less about the more extreme mechanics and gameplay elements.

Also Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader are in some sets? Which sets?

Also the core set comes with one X-Wing and two Tie Fighters? Is this the estimated balance in the game? One X-Wing against two Tie Fighters?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smith
England
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well im just a casual gamer and have just brought all the wave 1 expansions, which include the x-wing, y-wing, tie fighter, and tie advanced.

As far as core set balance goes, ive played a total of 3 games with 2 different opponents and ive been the single x-wing and won every time.

I like you have brought this to play team games of 2v2. We get to play once a month.

Luke comes in the core set (standard, not force awakens) and darth vader comes in the advanced tie pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, 1 X-Wing is a match for two tie fighters. When you are setting up the game you can build your squad by choosing ships and different pilot cards and upgrades for each ship which affects their capabilities and the balance. For example; an X-Wing with Luke and R2-D2 might be too much against 2 Tie Fighters.

Most people play 100 point games which is probably where the game is most balanced. That's what I use for casual play. You can build multiple squads ahead of time using online tools, then folks can choose from those so they don't have to build squads themselves.

I think a nice start would be:
2 Core sets
Tie Fighter
X-Wing
Tie Advanced
Y-Wing

That's enough to build decent 100 point squads with some variety/options in terms of pilots and upgrades.

After that I'd go for these if you want a good deal more variety and options in squads:
Tie Interceptor
B-Wing
A-Wing
Imperial Aces
Rebel Aces
Tie Bomber

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
msg tools
Beginner casual myself. A bit biased to the imperials i admit but i still think i found a good casual two player start:

-1 Original core set
-1 Force Awakens core set
-2 TIE fighter
-1 Imperial aces
-1 x-wing expansion
-1 millennium Falcon

This allows the imperial side to field a two element squad, one 4 ship tie fighter group, and a second 2 ship group consisting of either tie interceptors or tie/fo (the updated version from force awakens).
This is great for practising formation flying!

The rebel side has less options, two regular and one update xwing, but also gets to field a larger more agressive ship in the falcon!

Ive had one solo game and one with a friend, both 100p but without upgrades to learn the game, and i sweat i can hear the TIEs roar when i move the models around the table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a Star Wars fanatic, and am wondering what took me so long to get into this game. I was not really that interested in miniature games. That being said, I just jumped in about 2 weeks ago, and well...

The addiction is real.

I had received a Star Wars movie box set as a gift from work, and Target would not issue a credit, only a "spur of the moment" exchange. I walked through their game section, and "The Force Awakens" core set was on sale for $29. I scored it, played one game that evening, and was hooked.

The next day, I was at my FLGS, and decided to go broke. Well, not really, but my wife saw the kid in me emerging, and decided to splurge on some "pre-Christmas gift giving" on me. Well, over the course of two visits, I ended up with:

Core set (FA) - (1 T-70 X-wing/2 FO Tie Fighters)
1 extra original X-Wing
1 Rebel Aces pack (1 A-Wing/1 B-Wing)
1 K-Wing
1 Y-Wing
1 Millennium Falcon
1 Imperial Aces pack (1 Royal Guard Tie Interceptor/1 181st Imperial Interceptor)
1 Tie Advanced
1 Tie Bomber
1 Tie Punisher
1 Tie Defender

Now, you don't even have to dive this far off the cliff to have a great time mixing it up. If I were to point you in a relatively cost-effective suggestion based on the games I have played so far, I would suggest the following ships (after the Core set purchase):

Rebels - Rebel Aces pack, Y-Wing

Imperials - Imperial Aces pack and either the Tie Defender or Punisher

That would give you a fairly broad mix of ships, add some alternative defense/attack flair, and really allow you fly a broad range of craft (some very fast, but low defense, some all-around middle-of-the-roaders, and some tanks).

Keep in-mind that I am quite early into my X-Wing foray, so others may have some better suggestions. That being said, I really like the cards, ships, and missions that come with the Aces packs.

Let us know what you decide!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
n weinberg
msg tools
mbmbmb
My gaming group is mostly into board games (Eclipse, Agricola), plus some card games (a lot of Dominion, some others), and never done miniatures but I've been obsessed with getting a Star Wars miniatures game for months. Given that we have no experience, no interest in tournaments, but want a fun, competitive game to play ourselves, I did a ton of research, and besides deciding X-Wing was the right choice (lower barrier to entry, more available expansions), the ships I picked up to maximize interest and lower the learning curve were:

2 core sets (1 original, 1 Force Awakens)
Millenium Falcon
Rebel Aces
Tie Advanced
Imperial Decimator

That leaves you with 11 ships (2 X-Wings, an A Wing, a B Wing, Millenium Falcon, 4 Tie Fighters, 1 Tie Advanced, 1 Decimator), a ton of game components like extra dice and maneuver templates (1 reason you buy two core sets), and a ton of movie characters (Luke, Biggs & R2 in the main core, a big reason for buying it, and Poe & BB8 in the Force Awakens one, Han, Chewie, Lando, C3PO in the Falcon, Vader in the Tie Advanced [and, for some people, Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors in Rebel Aces]). You can swap the Decimator for Slave 1 and get Boba Fett, which will add a tiny amount to the learning curve, but could be worth it for you.

All told, I paid $116 shipped. Not bad for 6 boxes and 11 ships. I'm still figuring out how much I'm willing to pay for storage, and card sleeves added another $15 (and are not at all required for this sort of game), but that's a low cost to entry, with future expansions adding anywhere from $8-$15 for most little ships.

One note: every bit of advice I checked said that the Tie Advanced is a bad ship, unless you have the Imperial Raider, which adds two cards that fix the game balance for it. That ship is AWESOME, but is $65 and cannot be bought this early (it's an Epic ship, and you won't be able to play with it). However, for casual play, just print out the two missing cards and you'll be fine. I plan on doing that. You can print out Wedge Antilles and avoid buying a third X-Wing just for a card, too. Proxying cards is fine for any casual crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for great suggestions! I now have a much better idea about what to get!

My only question is about TIE Bomber, is there a good reason to get a 'bomber' so to speak, if I'm primarily looking for dogfighting ships?

Is Phantom an interesting choice for dogfighting? No one has mentioned it.

And in terms of getting two core sets, would it be useful to just get one main core set and another one as Force Awakens? I assume the sets are compatible with one another?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smith
England
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sets are compatible and I was toying with the idea of getting 2 core sets. I was deffo leaning towards one of each, that way you dont have duplicates of main pilots that would be useless to you. This way you could have Luke and Poe fighting side by side
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The advice above is great. The only real variance is preference between who is on the money.

You defiantly want two core sets. The cheaper ships and the extra dice and other pieces are pretty much essential.

The argument for 1 original Core and 1 Force awakens core is variance, but it means you are taking a leap timeline wise with your tie and x-wing match ups. (Variance vs authenticity and cohesion). The answer just depends on your preference. Yes they are fully compatible.

I don't mind the tie bomber even against the more basic x-wing and y-wing squadrons as it really gives you those early one shot's to get past the pesky shields the rebel ships have. They can be loaded up with some powerful missiles, but lose effectiveness once they have used their hard hitting ammo. It definitely wouldn't be a waste in owning one.

Yer the phantom is good, I don't use it much though, not because I don't enjoy the cloaking mechanic, but because I normally just play casual games with my friends and it takes a bit more work for what it's worth. Don't let that put you off though, as it certainly adds a very cool unique mechanic to the game (Again I'm assuming you want variance).

Personally I normally start new players out in this game with 100point squads consisting mainly of wave 1 and 2 ships. I like to get the Millennium Falcon and Slave One into the games as well because they look so sweet (And add new mechanics if only playing early waves and are great ships), but being able to build a Tie Swarm is also important as it's really a fundamental and thematic Empire Tactic. IIRC Howler is in the Tie Expansion is essential to a Tie Swarm so I'd add that to your must get list, which with the 4 ties you get from the core sets would give you a 5 tie 100pt squad build (You can get 6 ties into a 100pt build, but for casual play don't worry about that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Smith
England
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats exactly why i have brought 2 core sets... Yet.

I dont want 2 of the original core sets because there will be wasted cards that you cant use, and i dont really like the idea of 1 of each set because the jump in the timeline just doesnt feel right.

So for now I've just got the original core set and the 4 expansions from wave 1. I'm not sure if i'll ever get a second core set to be fair. Think i'll just slowly work my way through the expansions in order of waves. I'd like to have at least 1 of each ship eventually. I'm not fussed about the Scum yet either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely get that logic.

It was a much easier decision before the new core was released, because you always want the extra x-wing and 2 ties and the extra dice, rulers and other components that make the game play much smoother to play.

A core set is actually still the cheapest way to buy the x-wing and 2 ties. I've always thought being able to run a Tie Swarm of at least 5 Ties is sort of base squad building, it also economically made the extra core a no-brainer because it supplied ships you would be using at least some of the time or most for great fun and effect if you didn't have a lot of other ships.

If not playing competitively once you can build a few different 100pt squads from your ship collection there will be enough variance to keep you engaged for ages. It's really just a matter then of buying the ships you really like.

I started buying at least two of every ship (Apart from large+epic ships which were 1 of each) up until wave 4, but have so many ships and combo's I can now use, some ships might not ever get used. You certainly don't need that many to enjoy this game at it's fullest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think X-wing is great for casual play. You don't need to go super competitive to have fun with it.

With only a few ship choices, you might find the game get a little stale after a while. I would recommend looking at the various missions you can play. Each product comes with a couple of missions to try out. It's the same game....but played differently. You might find yourself making up your own missions and rules.

I'd also recommend just printing out or proxying any of the upgrade cards you might want. There are a lot of upgrades you can get and if you just want to play casual games, who cares if something is printed at home on cardstock? That will also help improve your enjoyment of the game and keep it from getting stale.

Personally, I love the Tie Bomber. I play 4 of them in a competitive list and do very well. Even with just one in a list, it's fun. It's also one of those ships that does well in missions, too. Nothing like an alpha strike for the Imperials that have lots of 2 red dice Tie Fighters. Bombs are also fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Proxying cards is excellent for casual play.

It's much harder to proxy different ships as they have different maneuver dials.

From a casual perspective, I'd probably try to get 2 of each of the small iconic ships, and double that for the squishy Tie Fighters :-)

I'd probably only get one of each of the larger ships, and I may pass on the less iconic ones.

I'd avoid the scum faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My friend and I play casual. He collects Rebellion and I collect Empire. He bought a starter set, an a-wing expansion, and the rebel Aces expansion. I bought a starter set, an advanced tie expansion (which I've been kind of disappointed with), and the Imperial Aces pack.

I have to say, Tie Intercepters are REALLY fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

My friend and I play casual. He collects Rebellion and I collect Empire. He bought a starter set, an a-wing expansion, and the rebel Aces expansion. I bought a starter set, an advanced tie expansion (which I've been kind of disappointed with), and the Imperial Aces pack.

I have to say, Tie Intercepters are REALLY fun!

Interceptors are awesome.
If you haven't tried the new cards from the Imperial Raider expansion on your Tie Advanced yet, you should. You might find Vader is the force to be reckoned with that you originally hoped for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
Also Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader are in some sets? Which sets?

They are, but really you need to get to know Howlrunner. She wasn't seen much in the movies, for some reason, because she was probably on some kind of epic campaign defending Imperial loyalists from ruthless Rebel aggression.

Howlrunner's cool like that. She's a rock star. She's like the Han Solo of Tie Fighter pilots, except she'd never be caught dead trying to dogfight in a fifty year-old re-build freighter. She may not be the greatest pilot in the galaxy, but she's a master tactician and she's the backup you can always count on. She watches her wingman's back, and she considered every fighter with her to be her own wingmen. Yeah, it's a little annoying that she tries to get involved in every cool maneuver you do, but its really amazing how she's always helping out, no matter what happens. She's good to keep close to in a fight.

So she's a little obnoxious in the starports. She's good and she knows it. She drinks a little too much. She sings off-key - frequently. She's been known to shoot first with her blaster every now and then. She's always breaking up and getting back together with Grey-3. And her best friend is a Twi'lek with a force-fetish. But you gotta look past all that and see the wolf within. Because if some upstart farmboy's going to call himself a pilot, you can bet he's gonna have to face the Howlrunner eventually...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I am having a great time flying the Tie Defender. It is a beast that is mildly costly, but packs quite a punch and is very maneuverable.

Kind of like a souped-up Interceptor with shields.

Also have the Tie Punisher, but have only flown it once. Looks great (and intimidating) on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.