Subject: Immelmann turns. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geert Alexander Heijnen
Norway
Halden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, love the game! Really nice to play and like that it has some historic accurancy with the different maneuver decks and damage decks..

Only got Famous Aces tho and always considered the Immelmann turn performed to be the real Immelmann turn. However by reading the rulebook for Burning Drachens. Which sadly isnt out in my country (the Netherlands) (yet) or at least i hope so. It came to my attention that you use the Immelmann turn as a half loop with the split S being its opposite. Not that the card needs to change cos the card still displays the correct maneuver but it doesnt change altitude in the end.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immelmann_turn for more info. At least the last part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You would gain for the Immelman and lose altitude for the Split-S. The difference is that in WoW:FA there were no altitude rules yet, and in WoW:BD there are. I asked Andrea the question as I don't have the rules handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok found it pg.13~14 of the WoW:BD rules

Split-S : -1 Altitude and gets (climb rate -1) climb counters.

Immelman : Does not gain in Altitude but you get one climb counter. In the link you sent the WWI example shows the plane is almost at the same level as when it stared. You can also do a house rule that you get +1 Altitude as long as everyone agrees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Yes, the basic game is flat so the Immelman can be seen both as the modern or the WWI version in the drawings at the link.

With altitude the one we included is like the modern version show: you get a climb counter while with a Split S you can loose a climb counter (usually with a dive you lose a level and all climb counters, but in this way you can do a complete loop and we wanted to allow for loops too).

If you want to simulate exactly an Immelman as the one in the second drawing you could ask for a straight, Immelmann, dive, with the Immelman gaining a level that you lose with the straight just after. Our is quite a compromise, I admit (but since you often don't change altitude with just 1 counter, the effect is almost the same).

About symbols, we preferred not to modify the basic cards in the basic sets when we added altitude. And since the Immelman is also a Split S both a climb and a dive symbols would be needed - quite puzzling. So we left as it is (it's a special maneuvre, you will have the special rule anyway).

Burning Drachens is not available in Dutch but if you want to read the rules they are there:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/wingsofwarsupport.html

Thanks a lot for the intriguing question and happy flights!

Andrea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steamrunner wrote:
Ok found it pg.13~14 of the WoW:BD rules

Split-S : -1 Altitude and gets (climb rate -1) climb counters.

Well, not always:

When a Split S is executed, the plane loses a climb counter.
If it has none, it loses 1 altitude level and it takes a number of
climb counters equal to the climb rate of the plane minus one.

Thanks anyway for the answers!

Andrea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.