GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,977 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Champions of Midgard» Forums » General

Subject: My take on the rulebook rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read some griping about the rulebook in these forums, and some apprehension about getting the game due to poor rulebook feedback.
I don't know if that's coming from a vocal minority, or is typical, or actually reflects a substandard manual. However, I was very happy with the rulebook. I think it's pretty comprehensive, with just a few minor glitches.
The most important thing to realize in reading a manual like this is to read everything. Don't skip parts just because they look like they're just recapping other sections. In particular, read the Appendix and the clarifications at the end. Some rulebooks repeat points multiple times to make sure you get them. This one doesn't do that very much. It is very succinct and precise. So, read it carefully and thoroughly. I see complaints about confusing directions, but it's almost always because an important phrase was missed by the reader.
Definitely don't miss out on this fantastic game due to worries about a poor rulebook. And if your group has a disagreement about a rule interpretation, check the book more carefully, or use the forum here. The designer and publisher have been great about answering questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Strubczewski
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well said. I too was pleased with the rule book and did not find any glaring omissions. It's an excellent game and I hope it gets more support. I played it again on Xmas with my brother in-law and his g/f. They are very casual gamers (Ticket to Ride, King of Tokyo, etc) and they loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Bateman
United States
Auburn
Washington
flag msg tools
Countdown to GenCon is in effect...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a case where the rules are all there - but the book is terse and short and there are not enough visual aids for those of us that learn better with pictures than words. Not a slam on the game - but one of those cases where I have had to read the same page 3 times to get the precise meaning of a rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bresnan
United States
Decatur
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh from Grey Fox Games has done a very good job in answering questions here for those items that people have struggled with.

It's a great worker placement game and I'd hate to see people avoid it just because the rulebook might be a little confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Sada
Mexico
Monterrey
Nuevo León
flag msg tools
Hey! Had to hover didnt you?
badge
mbmbmbmb
My biggest struggle was regarding the Runes and Blame Token interactions, other than that the rulebook is solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Woodley
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I Plan. Dice laugh
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook is serviceable but by no means good. It relies too heavily on the assumption that the reader has played worker placement games before and thus already has a grasp of the conventions of this type of game.

Wording is often loose and there are glaring omissions i.e: why do we have two discs? How are the rune cards set up at the beginning of the game?

Proofreading could also be improved such as in the appendix where spaces on the game board are named differently to those in the appendix.

I give the rulebook a C and the game a B+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My biggest problem is that some of the iconography on the cards is not explained in the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
Quality games cleverly crafted.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to come in and thank y'all for permission to take off my horse hair shirt, but Bryn came in to make me put it back on.

Thanks for the support everyone. We'll continue to improve with every game. Hopefully get a chance to revise things (like the rulebook) - which admittedly could be clearer in parts - with future editions.

-Josh
Grey Fox Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryn Ballard
United Kingdom
Woodley
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I Plan. Dice laugh
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't want you to get cold

Karmic_devil wrote:
I was going to come in and thank y'all for permission to take off my horse hair shirt, but Bryn came in to make me put it back on.

Thanks for the support everyone. We'll continue to improve with every game. Hopefully get a chance to revise things (like the rulebook) - which admittedly could be clearer in parts - with future editions.

-Josh
Grey Fox Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.