GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,281 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Pocket Odyssey» Forums » General

Subject: Seems overwhelming at first. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I finally finished reading the rule book, and uhm, it does seem a little overwhelming to setup. 10+ items of draw this and that, plus setting up baddies during the game with a description of confusing math. I'm sure it could be explained a little simpler? Could some items be left out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you can leave out anything you want. I'm pretty sure you can remove flaws, hidden powers and any items without problems. Just remember that they add flavor/theme to the game, so adding them will help you with the roleplaying part.

And the confusing math part? 3 x #players is the amount of points/levels you should use for lvl 1 characters. So if you have only one player, you can have:
1 x level 3 baddy
3 x level 1 baddy
1 x level 2 baddY + 1 x level 1 baddy

I hope things will be easier after you play your first game, but just ask if they are not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
A
flag msg tools
I too don't understand the baddy math. I get it for level 1 characters, but it gets confusing as they level up.

Can you provide a chart or something that shows how many levels of baddies would be needed for X number of players as their levels increase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not the best right now, but a start.

I will be updating it when I have access to a full fledged computer instead of a tablet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Qid92REeNgKKYjH1mbxy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you provide a chart?[/q]
This is for 1 player:
lvl_of_player Sum_of_All_Baddy_lvls
1 3
2 5
3 7
4 9
5 11

So, for one level 3 player, you can use 7 lvl's worth of monsters.

For each extra player, just multiply with the total number of players.
Three lvl 4 players = 3 x 7 -> 21 lvl's woth of monsters.

So I guess in a table, it would be:

lvl_player 1 2 3 4 #player
1 3 6 9 12
2 5 10 15 20
3 7 14 21 28
4 9 18 27 36
5 11 22 33 44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Okay, that is the baddies part. Is there a simpler way to do the rest of it? Nobody wants to wait 20 minutes while I review how to setup the game and then have to wait while flipping through the book during a game. Is there a condensed version with less stuff? If not, I don't think this will ever see the table aside from when I unpacked it and went through it by myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For your first session or two I would try and play with one other person who is willing to help you learn the rules. I kind of putzed around on my own acting as both the player and the GM until I had it more or less understood and then introduced it to my kids.

Now as per "the rest of it"... Are you talking everything from character creation to gameplay?

Perhaps Anthony's video might help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHuu7unfNcM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.