GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,855 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
48 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Five Tribes» Forums » General

Subject: Official solo variant co-designed by Bruno Cathala released. Yes! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go. Thanks to Bruno and Days of Wonder for supporting solo gamers. Can't wait to give this a shot. Love that there is a win/loss condition and a score matrix. Double bonus!

http://blog.daysofwonder.com/2015/12/28/enjoy-the-holiday-se...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inky Bloc
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tried it; it was pretty tough! I eked out a victory (only 128 points), and I think the biggest part of that was that Kandicha was one of the first Djinns and I bought it immediately. Using Kandicha I was able to clear the board of assassins while building my own collection of viziers, but even then I only had one more than the dummy.

The biggest issue I faced was preventing the dummy from buying Djinns. There are just too many elders on the board and fakirs in the deck. The dummy had five Djinns at game end (1 away from winning), and it was only because I got lucky on the last dice roll that I was able to survive until end of game.

Maybe it would help increasing the number of Djinns needed to win, or only allowing him to buy Djinns when he picks Meeples off a Djinn tile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
inkybloc wrote:
I just tried it; it was pretty tough! I eked out a victory (only 128 points), and I think the biggest part of that was that Kandicha was one of the first Djinns and I bought it immediately. Using Kandicha I was able to clear the board of assassins while building my own collection of viziers, but even then I only had one more than the dummy.

The biggest issue I faced was preventing the dummy from buying Djinns. There are just too many elders on the board and fakirs in the deck. The dummy had five Djinns at game end (1 away from winning), and it was only because I got lucky on the last dice roll that I was able to survive until end of game.

Maybe it would help increasing the number of Djinns needed to win, or only allowing him to buy Djinns when he picks Meeples off a Djinn tile?

I just tried this variant as well.... 130 points. Dummy had 4 Djinns but I paid out a few times to re-roll to avoid him getting Elders. This did force me to sell some goods mid-game. Looking forward to trying it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow this variant is the real deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
One rule I couldn't figure out: Can you use your Assassins to kill Yazid's dudes (including Assassins)?

I've only tried once, and unfortunately lost due to 7 mb.

Of course I could change up my strategy, or get lucky with different board arrangements/djinns, but I wondered if this were a legal option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I missing something? When I click on "Download Five Tribes Solo" it just takes me to the game page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That link does not seem to work in Chrome - tried in Internet Explorer and then I was able to see and print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
One rule I couldn't figure out: Can you use your Assassins to kill Yazid's dudes (including Assassins)?

Of course I could change up my strategy, or get lucky with different board arrangements/djinns, but I wondered if this were a legal option.

I hope so as I took out some of his Viziers that way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried it in IE, might be because it's an old version and on my work network. I'll try it on other systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inky Bloc
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
daggz wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:

I hope so as I took out some of his Viziers that way?

I played it this way too; used it to steal his Elders a couple times to prevent Djinn-purchasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Winnowski
United States
Upper St Clair
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was excited for a minute while reading the rules cause it looked like there was a win condition. Disappointed at the end it was a point scale. Not a big fan of the point scale solo games.

Win condition > point scale

But it's always nice to see designers looking out for the solo gamers. As a working family man it's tough to get a group together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dannyduck wrote:
I was excited for a minute while reading the rules cause it looked like there was a win condition. Disappointed at the end it was a point scale. Not a big fan of the point scale solo games.

But it's always nice to see designers looking out for the solo gamers. As a working family man it's tough to get a group together.

It seems to me there is a win condition, which is surviving and having more viziers. Only then do you worry about the point scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 35 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
dannyduck wrote:

The number of points you score determine the "Victory Level" but I guess you could see the "You need to control more Viziers than Yazid at the end of the game" as the win condition? Not sure what else you could expect from a point salad game in the first place, it's not like they could have designed some kind of scenarios where you need to move one meeple of every color to the palace as part of a pilgrimage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Winnowski
United States
Upper St Clair
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MentalGuy wrote:
dannyduck wrote:

It seems to me there is a win condition, which is surviving and having more viziers. Only then do you worry about the point scale.

I'll give it a try and see. Just thinking the bar may be set too low in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Woodland
msg tools
dannyduck wrote:
MentalGuy wrote:
dannyduck wrote:

I'll give it a try and see. Just thinking the bar may be set too low in that case.

I haven't played the game but it caught my attention now that it has a solo variant. I am not a fan of point system at all as well.

At the end of the rules it says that if you want a bigger challenge start with 20 gc. I am wondering if you can start with even less money so simply the win condition is even harder to achieve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Pilot
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if that will help (or just show how bad a player I am!), but I lost my first two games and didn't even get to the scoring phase because Yazid got 6 djinns before the end of the game.

I find the different 'losing' conditions interesting as you have to make sure the opponent doesn't get too many of a single type of meeple. As such, you cannot focus your strategy too much on a single type of meeple yourself. But again, my track record demonstrates that you shouldn't follow my strategic adices blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won my first time...albeit with a score of 136 that is well below the 190 needed to move up the rating scale. I find it a fun challenge and different from many rating type solitaire games in that there are certain thresholds/requirements that must be met in order to even qualify for a rating...so in some sense you are just trying to win, but then seeing how well you won

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy cap Bruno is really milking this game for all it's worth! The amazing thing is that he's not doing bad work... each addition to Five Tribes has been phenomenal! I paid MSRP at gencon for this game and Five Tribes has been worth every dollar and more. I can't say that for most other games but Five Tribes is definitely my best purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:

Hello

Like in the basic game, You can use Assassin's ability to kill Yazid's Elders or Vizirs (this can be really helpful to prevent loosing against Djins and Vizirs majority)

But killing Yazids assassins is not allowed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense, since Assassins usually go in the bag, there's no rule that would allow picking them off.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
indy lim

Minneapolis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Bruno des Montagnes wrote:
jozxyqk wrote:

Hello

Like in the basic game, You can use Assassin's ability to kill Yazid's Elders or Vizirs (this can be really helpful to prevent loosing against Djins and Vizirs majority)

But killing Yazids assassins is not allowed

Thematically I think it makes perfect sense for your assassins to take out Yazid's assassins, you are hiring them to protect you from his goons. Even with that I barely eeked out a "win" with 91 points. Yazid was at 6 assassins and 5 Djinns. I would have been bankrupted in the final turn but Yazid rolled "1" and "1" and I was able to pay him off with my last 2 gold. A very tense and exciting solo match! I can't see how anyone can get >190, I was on the defensive nearly the whole time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morris Ho
Canada
Richmond
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whooooaaa, I just tried playing this solo variant and it was tough stuff. Lost the first time because I was still playing like I was against a human opponent, but the second time around I ended up with 81 points from tile control and felt pretty confident that my final score should be at least "Junior Jafaar" level ... but nope! Wound up with 177. How anyone could get 251 VPs or more is beyond me.

This variant definitely forces you to unlearn some of your usual Five Tribes strategies. Normally I would target Merchants first, but here I actually put them on low priority and went for Viziers and Builders instead, and I spread out meeples across previously emptied tiles just so Yazid would have a higher chance of taking only 1 meeple a turn. Plus, for the first time ever I actually bought Assassin-driven Djinns like Nekir and Kandicha.

So much fun. Thanks, Bruno Cathala and Thierry Jolit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal
Switzerland
Lausanne
flag msg tools
badge
Lightning Plasma !
mbmbmbmbmb
i was happy with my 8 ressources collected and was confident on the final result... but i ended at something like 136.
It looks like the challenge it to get the right meeple you want while collecting the tiles with camel at the same time. I collected only 3 tile...clearly not enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Went through 2 plays last night and lost both.

First one started pretty well. I kept ahead in Viziers, knocked off a couple of his Elders and picked up the Djinn that let me drop a camel on a meepled tile for an elder+elder/Fakir. Unfortunately on Yazid's final camel drop he picked up just enough Vizier's to have just as many as me.

Second game I got a couple good marketplace drops and was doing well, until I rolled 6 on the black die, which, via 3 blue meeples on the top and bottom tiles, would have taken all my coins, so I paid the 8 to outbid yazid. Sadly, with 3 coins left he rolled the EXACT same roll and took the rest. (which sucks because if I had lived the turn I would have traded in for 13 coins in Merch)

The game is FAST. An average 11 turn clock seemed like it might last a bit, but I was struggling to juggle all the loss conditions while still building up my points. Very challenging, looking forward to a couple more tries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melvin Yong
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My strategy is to grab the red assassins first. It helped me win my second game although my points were pretty bad. They help in two ways, by stopping Yazid's 7 assassins victory condition and you can kill off his Elders and Viziers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.