Subject: Is Puerto Rico Better than San Juan and other Questions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played San Juan. I like that game very much. I saw that it was based upon Puerto Rico, but wondered if it was a fun as San Juan. Is it worth it to get the game Puerto Rico if I like San Juan?

Also, how long does a game last?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pihl
United States
St Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate Puerto Rico a 10 and San Juan a 7. It would be worth it to get the "real" thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike N.
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkpihl wrote:
I rate Puerto Rico a 10 and San Juan a 7. It would be worth it to get the "real" thing.

I agree with the Pihls. San Juan feels like filler to me. PR is much deeper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. I think San Juan is more fun. I'd recommend having both tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gilesclone wrote:
I disagree. I think San Juan is more fun. I'd recommend having both tho.

Why do you say this? It seems most folks like both, but many think PR is better with more depth, etc. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not everyone likes depth. Puerto Rico is without doubt deeper. It takes longer though and I could see someone liking San Juan more because they find PR a little boring.

I sure don't. I love Puerto Rico and have little interest in ever playing San Juan again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
Not everyone likes depth. Puerto Rico is without doubt deeper. It takes longer though and I could see someone liking San Juan more because they find PR a little boring.

I sure don't. I love Puerto Rico and have little interest in ever playing San Juan again.

How long does it take to play PR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heng
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
I like both because PR allows in-depth strategic thinking while SJ is easy to set up and keep while retaining some strategic playing value as PR. I play SJ almost as much as PR. PR takes about 45 min or less while SJ about 15 min or less. On days when there's little free time to spare, I'd go for SJ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Another issue is the set up time. San Juan takes about 2 minutes where PR takes a bit longer. Also, PR is much more compact with way less pieces making it an awesome travel game. It makes a great filler, and because of its quick play time, ends up gatting played more. It also plays well with 2, unlike PR. Having said that, I think PR is a deeper more enjoyable game......Get them both!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Between setup and playing, PR usually takes us 90-150 minutes, depending upon who is playing. Some people are so SLOW. I liked San Juan for awhile, but I think PR is so much better. I finally got rid of San Juan, but I'll never get rid of PR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Lewy
United States
Dorchester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I wrote a review over in the San Juan game entry which specifically addressed this question since I played my first game of PR and my first game of SJ within about a week of each other.

I had one set of friends who really liked PR and then met another gamer who preferred San Juan. So it is going to depend on your preferred gaming style and the game length you like.

My full comparison can be found here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1319726#1319726

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kidd
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My wife who is not a serious gamer much prefers San Juan. Most of my gamer friends prefer Puerto Rico.

I'm happy to play either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
They are entirely different.

They share the role-picking mechanism, but so what? so does Age of Steam.

Other than that, one is a card game and one is a board game. They have a similar theme, and overlapping terminology (on purpose, since SJ was published with the intent of capitalizing on the success of PR), but they really have very little in common otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico is a four-star steak dinner and San Juan is a big juicy hamburger cooked just the way you like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.