GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,441 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Mysterium» Forums » Rules

Subject: Restrictions on vision card orientations? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I was taught the game, the ghost can give vision cards in various rotational orientations, can use cards to cover up portions of other cards, etc. (as long as the cards are all "face-up," that is, the image is facing off of the table and not the card back).

However, given some of the discussions on this forum, now I'm not sure. And a close re-reading of the rules indicates nothing one way or the other (other than the aforementioned "face up" restriction, which, as I said, I'm assuming is referring only to not showing the back of the card). I couldn't find anything from the designers one way or another on the Rules forum (and if I missed it, I apologize).

Could I please get a clarification on whether rotation and overlap of the cards is legal, or whether they must be played "top of the image away from the medium, left to right, no overlap?" (Yes, I understand "it's a cooperative game, play whatever way your play group prefers," but as I'm the one usually teaching the games, I'd like to teach people the "proper" rules, or at the very least, inform them that "we're playing a house ruled variation.")

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mills
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I play, and the way I think is implied by the rules, is that the ghost simply passes the cards. No rotation, no covering up parts, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
Weston
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
KeyForge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is also telling that the rulebook provides example and they only refer to clues within the art without any highlight of the card's rotation, direction or other external factor. It is just not part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
millsyboy wrote:
The way I play, and the way I think is implied by the rules, is that the ghost simply passes the cards. No rotation, no covering up parts, etc.

Entertainingly, while I agree that this is probably the best way of doing things (take the cards that make up the vision, shuffle them, and hand them to the psychic, who then lays them out however they choose), the rulebook is explicit that the ghost places the cards in front of the psychic.

Personally, I house-rule this game quite a lot already, so I don't bat an eyelid at ignoring the little the rulebook says about how to deliver visions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.