GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,261 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » General

Subject: Expansions worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nyem 24
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Devastation, War and Fate game sets. Played Devastation a few times, enough to know that I want to have as much Level 99 goodness I can get lol. Anyway, I saw on Coolstuffinc they have the War and Devastation and War extended for $7.99 and $9.99 each and light and shadow for $7.99. Would you say its worth it to pick these up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are all worth indeed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nyem24 wrote:
I have Devastation, War and Fate game sets. Played Devastation a few times, enough to know that I want to have as much Level 99 goodness I can get lol. Anyway, I saw on Coolstuffinc they have the War and Devastation and War extended for $7.99 and $9.99 each and light and shadow for $7.99. Would you say its worth it to pick these up?

I would only be tempted by War, personally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how deep you want to get into the system. For me, getting the extra fighters is awesome. I also grabbed Light & Shadow during the Kickstarter. It's great if you really want alternates and enjoy play EX and Almighty matches. But that's not my favorite way to play. So I didn't enjoy that one as much.

Like any other expansion, though, just think about whether the new content is worth it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally only War and Fate are worth it since they add new characters. The other expansions are nice to have and fluff out your game more. I backed the War Remastered KS and only War and Fate has seen playtime. There is so much content from the base games themselves I don't ever see the need for the over smaller expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marquis DeSade
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all the expansions, but only war and fate have gotten any appreciable use. It's (disappointingly) rare that I can even get the regular game to the table with 1 other player, much less a 2:1, 2:2, or 3:1 match.

What I'd personally love are more 1 player battle quests!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Devastation Extended has Juto and Borneo as playable characters in it. That alone is worth $8 if you're a fan of the lore and/or of penguins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, I would recommend getting the ones that have extra characters and skipping the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Light and Shadow is very skippable. all you get are a bunch of reference cards for EX and Almighty duels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Armory is great if you are super deep into battlecon and want to customize characters.

My favorite expansion, though, is probably strikers. It adds a new way to play while still being relatively simple ruleswise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DeMars
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I've ever used the expansions is when playing BattleQUEST. That said, if you want to play BattleQUEST, Armory is a really good choice (and Light and Shadow is also nice, but more easily proxied if you don't have it).

Of course, that could change I could end up using the expansion more in the future. It's really a question of how much you want to try out the various non-standard variants. It took me long enough getting comfortable with the basic 1v1 game, so I've only recently started dipping my toes in those strange waters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.