GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,211 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Blitz! A World in Conflict» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Report on 2 game session of Blitz rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Walker
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave keeps asking for session reports so here is a summery of my first two full games.

The first game was a 4 player in which I was the western allies. The USSR
went for the Middle east on turn one and conquered it on turn 2. This inspired the axis players to try to keep the US entry low for as long as possible. The German build all his U-boats to try and prevent the AFA from
getting Commonwealth VPs and to Dominate the Med to try and establish Festung Europa. Prior to attacking USSR on turn 3 he had only gained the
Polish and Paris resources in order to limit US and USSR build up. The Japanese concentrated on China and though a combination of Chinese partisans and US stinginess managed to conquer Chine by turn 3 at which point he went after the British and India. This was facilitated by the slow development of US lend lease due to the USSR declaration of war and gain of 2 oil from the Middle east campaign, and the inability of the AFA to spare ships for the Indian ocean. Since the German routinely had Luftlotte 1 and 2 and the Reg. Marina plus the whole Italian navy in the Med., it was futile and costly for the AFA to try to contest it. But when the finally built the Canadian airforce they used it to provide air
cover for their carriers and finally gain control of the Med. By Turn 7
the US would have embargoed Japan so the Japanese attacked to gain the Philippines and by turn 8 the US and AFA were poised to invade Italy and start hammer the Japanese navy and hope to beat the axis to 15 VP. However at the end of turn 8 when we counted up VP we find the USSR with 15! Wait, what? The turn 3 German invasion had turned in to a VP disaster. Since China fell on turn 3 the only way for the US to get VP while at peace was to Lend-Lease at least 1 to USSR and with the Persian Oil, the USSR got the 5 year plan from turn 3. Due to their strong economy and the Germans high priority on air and naval for the war in the west the USSR got the Red Army VP from turn 4 that's 11 by turn 8, the other four came from killing 2 German armor and capturing Finland on turn 7 and Poland on turn 8 thus getting buffer states and a city.

So the lesson learned was that if Russian has 9 resources keep them out of the war as long as possible to so they can't us them all. It was a tense game and fun was had by all. If I was only the US player I would have been bored for nearly the whole game but since I also was the AFA with my hands full it was quite exciting.

We all felt that a rematch was in order. so on to game 2.
This time we only had 3 players due to the USSR player having holiday commitments. So, we switched positions and this time I was the USSR. Since the Middle East gambit worked so well before I did it again but this time on turn 2 and succeeded with a blitz to get it all in 1 turn. I'm already on the road to victory! However, the Axis (now all one player) had a different plan for me and the west.

Japan declared war on AFA and Bel-Neth on turn 1 gaining oil and occupying Burma. Also no more Lend-Lease for China. Germany delayed attacking USSR until turn 5 and used the time to get a big AG North to the Levant and then into Iraq so the USSR only got the 5 year plan on turn 6 when winter helped me recapture the Ukraine and turn 7 when I lost the Ukraine again and regained Iraq. Since the Burma road was cut the US felt compelled to give me Lend-Lease from turn 2 but it went into the trash until turn 5 when the Germans attacked me. Without Lend-Lease and a couple of Chinese partisans the Chinese fell early again and Japan started collecting a point a turn for CBI. Eventually he started raiding Indian and Australian convoys. and even stepped foot in northern Australia. However, all this success and aggression accelerated US entry, allowing the early Lend-Lease and eventually and expected turn 7 US entry, so Japan attack the Philippines on turn 6 to get C0-prosperity sphere points. Germany put an initial strong effort into the Med. to gain the Fortress Europa and the oil in Iraq to get VPs for 3 Oil. But he didn't make a serious effort to raid convoys and as a result the AFA gained many VPs for Commonwealth until Japan started raiding Asian convoys. On turn 5 on the same turn the Germans Captured Iraq with a big AG North, the AFA blitzed the Med. and isolated the Axis armies in North Africa and the Middle East. So he got points from then On for Britannia rules the waves. He picked up several points for conquest without loss and of course he stood alone for 4 turns. On turn 7 he and the US invaded a poorly defended Italy giving the US a point for Second front and the AFA two point for cities and a point for Med. influence. So again just when I was getting my act together to concentrate my USSR army against Poland after capturing Finland, the AFA announce on turn 7 that they have 15 VPs!!! The US had 10 from 6 turns of LL and 2 Bloodless attacks ,a Pacific domination and a second front. I had 7 from 5 year plans, killing German armor and Red army. Germany had 7 (2 cities, 3 oil, 2 Festung) and Japan had 8 (5 CBI, 1 city, 1 co-pros.).

We still had fun and are looking forward to another game in which the Axis player discovers how to keep the allies from winning long enough to win themselves. Has anyone got a story of axis victory? We are getting concerned that not only are the axis doomed but that which allied player wins my be determined more by axis play than by allied play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our last playtest game had an Axis victory, coming in turn 13 or 14. The Germans had found it necessary to pursue a southern strategy and were wildly successful, managing to activate many minors, overrun Africa, and their little allies in South America nearly took Venezuela. In the end, Germany got dismantled, but not nearly in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave LeLacheur
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks for typing up the reports Doug! Love to read them.

One quick rules note. You wrote in game 2 "Since the Middle East gambit worked so well before I did it again but this time on turn 2 and succeeded with a blitz to get it all in 1 turn."

Germany is the only major power that begins the game with a saved Oil. Therefore on Turn 1, only Germany can perform a Blitz phase. The others can do a Free Blitz of course, but no attacks are allowed in a Free Blitz.

Keeping track of opponent VPs is a critical part of the game. Once any enemy has achieved 1 VP / Turn (after, say, Turn 5), then I am worried and will begin to focus on that enemy if possible.

The more you play, I think the more you'll find yourself becoming aware of this, and learning how to fight it. The little things can matter a lot in the end, but as you learn to pay attention to those details, you can have a big impact. Denying an enemy a VP is just as important (and sometimes easier) than getting one yourself!

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Dave L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Walker
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I saved an oil on turn 1 so that I could make the blitz on turn 2.
It might have been cheaper to do the attack over 2 turns like my predecessor but I didn't want the German getting oil from Iraq via Turkey while took my time. Plus I new from experience that declaring war and taking a resource on turn 1 would really hamper the US. Maybe slowing the US would have been a good thing for USSR as it turned out.

When I play Germany I am going to try to pay much more attention to denying allied VPs for sure.

Thanks,
Doug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Richter
Germany
Schifferstadt
flag msg tools
Doug, could you please tell us how long it took you to play these two games?

Regards,

Benny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Harvey
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I was one of the players in the first two games (Germany first game, AFA/US second game). We played again with the original 4 players this week. This game was a lot more competitive and the first game we actually played to the end (the other two were abandoned when it was clear that someone would win the game in 2 turns regardless of what anyone did). One player had played Japan all 3 times (along with Germany in the second, 3-player game). I was playing Russia this time, and Doug was playing Germany. Here's my rough summary (obviously I remember my game better than the others, and my picture of the Pacific War is very broad since it didn't really concern me).

Turn 1: Germany takes Poland, Japan takes Burma and aligns SE Asia.

Turn 2: Russia whiffs on taking Persia (poor rolls). Germany takes Paris. Japan declares war on the US and captures Midway (not reinforced by the US in turn 1). Germany challenging for sea control of the Mediterranean. US gets Lend-Lease going. Germany gets a free point for Autarky because Iraq/Persia aligned Germany.

Turn 3: Russia takes Persia but not Iraq. AFA unable to drive Germany out of Mediterranean due to poor carriers vs. German naval aircraft. Japan takes Hawaii. Germany lands troops in Libya, declares war on all the French neutral to prevent easy No Casualties targets, takes the resource in the Morocco area. Also declares war on Balkans and takes resource there. I think at this point Japan is scoring Co-Prosperity Sphere and Paralyze US Fleet, Germany may have been scoring Fortress Europa, though I don't think that came until 4. Germany may also have taken a "hail mary" shot at Gibraltar on this turn (unsuccesful).

Turn 4: Russia takes Iraq, starts scoring 5-year plan. Mediterranean still inconclusive, convoys taking some damage preventing AFA points. Germany secures Levant/Egypt if they didn't have it earlier. Germany finishes up Balkans, possibly attacks Turkey (but might have been a turn later). US shows up in the non-mountains French NAfrica and starts putting pressure on German position. I think the Pacific battle was inconclusive this turn, with US attacking the Japanese fleet and getting repelled.

Turn 5: Russia has too many resources, still not at war, starts burning through tech. AFA now winning in the Mediterranean but German aircraft prevent landing of troops. Italian subs park in Arabian sea, repeatedly wrecking the AFA convoy (usually on the AFA's own turn, ironically). Morocco resource taken by US. US also invades Mindinao, the island to the east in the same sea zone, and drops an armored unit on Formosa (which is immediately cut off supply by the Japanese, but remains to the end of the game). Japan invades Mexico.

Turn 6: Russia still idle, amuses self by doing combat calculations for other nations. German forces in N. Africa falling back, but still hold Levant, Turkey, Suez, and Greece. Japan takes back Mininao and the island in the same sea zone (the latter left bare by the US so they could take that unit to Formosa). US cleans up Mexican invasion, but really struggling to bring air power to bear on Pacific with loss of Midway - forced to slowly shuttle airplanes through the southern Pacific and they still aren't terribly useful.

Turn 7: Russia still idle, prepares for Turn 8 war with Germany, gets Atomic Bomb from force pool onto track but no successful test. AFA takes Libya and Suez. US shifting troops and fighting inconclusive battles in Pacific - may have taken a "hail mary" shot at landing on an island and been repulsed. US/AFA land in France and recapture, but Germany takes back on the Blitz phase. Germany might have built their first superweapons this turn.

Turn 8: Germany declares war on Russia first, takes Leningrad. Germany aided by Snow turn - can vacate France for this turn. Japan continues tenacious defense of Pacific. Russia takes Levant and attacks Turkey, Poland, and Central Europe for attrition (Russia has a massive resource advantage with 10 oil saved up). US trying to land but failing to chase off Japanese seapanes. Russia successfully tests Atomic Bomb and scores Red Army in addition to 5-Year plan.

Session Break. Current VPs - AFA 9, Russia 9, Japan 8, US 7, Germany 7 (but too many of Germany's points based off of captured factories).

Turn 9: Germany begins to hold on for dear life as they are defending Turkey, Greece, Central Europe, Poland, France, Belgium and Rome. Japan scatters the US fleet. Russia retakes Leningrad, pushes into Finland, takes the non-Istanbul region of Turkey, and drops Atomic Bomb on Berlin. AFA invades Belgium, attempts but fails Rome. Germany fails to retake Belgium on Blitz phase. US out of position in European theater, so can't score Second Front. US/AFA land in SE Asia from circling around the Australia area to the west side of SE Asia. Russia scores Buffer Zone and 5-Year plan. Japan scores Paralyze US Fleet and Tenno-Zan. Russia at 11, Japan at 10

Turn 10: Germany tries to dislodge AFA in Belgium but fails again. Russia takes Poland, killing a German tank. US fails to take Rome, finally lands in Belgium. The (mostly irrelvant up to this point) army stranded on Formosa suddenly because hugely important because the US can now invade China due to having both Formosa and SE Asia. They take the land adjacent to SE Asia. Russia scores the killed German tank and Buffer sonze. Japan scores Tenno-Zan but lost the China factory - Russia at 13, Japan at 10.

Turn 11: Japan bunkers up. Russia takes Berlin, German counterattack comes to nothing. US take France, rest of China. Japan scores Long War and Tenno-Zan, ending at 12. Russia scores Buffer Zone, ending at 16. US test their Atomic Bomb, ending at 14, Britan ends at 12, and Germany was around 10. Game ends. Obviously, if war had gone another turn, Japan would have hit 15.

Thoughts: This ended up feeling very close for most of the game. The Japan player feels he left some points on the board and could have won (the US player left the West Coast far too lightly defended too often). The US never managed to score Pacific Domination and never did take back Manila, which could have led to a US victory. Germany couldn't score very many points early and had no real chance against a Russia that nobody touched until Turn 8 - they felt like the only side that was clearly not in the running by Turn 7 or so. The Cold War role reversal (Russia developing the bomb and dropping it on Germany) was amusing.

After playing 3 times, I feel like there's definite windows for the Axis to do certain things and victory depends on doing well within those windows. I also feel like learning the combat results table makes a big difference - by the end of the second game and the entirety of my military involvement in the third game I was composing attacks for particular table values, emphasizing a certain number of casualties or chance at a S/L/B result depending on the tactical situation (and then taking the rest and throwing them at the mountain in Central Europe just to cause attrition - at one point I casually took a 3B result because I inflcted a 1L, and I was producing 4-5 more resources and had a saved stock of 10 oil). I'd be interested in playing again. It also might be nice to try the Blitzing the Road to War variant, to alter the start conditions a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent write up , your seriously tempting me to dip into my already game depleted bank account

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Russia is neutral, their production is equal to the turn number--they won't start scoring 5 Year Plan VPs until they can reach 9 BP, which is very hard when not at war with the Axis. And you won't have problems with building too much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Kapogeorgos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7.7 Major Power Production Limits

If your major power's ability to enter the war is limited by rule 7.2 (note: this includes the USSR while the USSR is not able to declare war on Germany, even if the USSR is not neutral), you can only use a number of Oil and Resources this turn equal to the box number on the Victory Track where your “It’s War!” marker is located.

Not the turn marker, Mike!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.