GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,201 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

The Greatest Day: Sword, Juno, and Gold Beaches» Forums » General

Subject: Atlantic Wall or TGD? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michal Sebik
Czech Republic
Prague 10
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know this is like a heresy (everybody knows everybody needs both!), but what would you choose and why?

Atlantic Wall... my friend says it is HUGE and perfect.

or

The Greatest Day... well, I know it is more detailed in scope, does not cover so much time as Atlantic Wall...

What do you prefer and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on what you are after. The Greatest Day: Sword, Juno, and Gold Beaches is tactically focused; each turn is only a few hours and the game covers just the first ten days of the situation opposite the British beaches. There's a reason that this is part of the Grand Tactical Series; it's just--well--grandly tactical! Lots of great chaos and tactical narrative. Tons of opportunity for maneuver, making sure your leaders are where you want them, trying to out-OODA Loop your opponent's decision cycle! Quite a number of scenarios, even if you can't get to the campaign games (but you'll dream about it!)

Atlantic Wall: D-Day to Falaise is more of a study as a simulation than a competitive game. The focus truly is on the operational level and the complex system shows it. Remember, this is the Grand Operational Simulation Series -- the name says it all. There's not going to be a lot of excitement; the scenarios are even a grind-fest for the most part. You'll be thinking more of firepower and logistics than maneuver, leadership, and C2 decision cycles! I cannot even imagine playing the campaign games for this one. I just can't. Maybe if I were younger, I could....

Pick your poison!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd ask whether you prefer tactical or operational. I think that a comparison of Atlantic Wall to The Battle for Normandy and maybe the expansion The Battle for Normandy Expansion might be more appropriate.

Typically the GTS games will only cover a week of time or so. I think that Greatest day might be 10 days, but don't quote me. I've found that when playing GTS games they also go slower than real time. You might end up spending several hours playing a turn that represents two hours of time. This is particularly true when you are ramping up and need to do a lot of rules checking.

The other big question is how much table space do you have, and what can you support. Also how long can you leave it up without getting in trouble with other people who share the living space. Not a problem if you're going to be using vassal. I'm playing Where Eagles Dare right now. We've been meeting every 2-3 weeks, and we've been going at it for 5 months. I think that we've had about 7 day long sessions so far and have done about 3-4 days.

My view is skewed because I primarily play the campaign games and am not so interested in shorter scenarios other than as a learning tool.

Another factor to consider is that I'm pretty sure that Omaha and Utah Beaches will be added in future modules so that you can link all 5 beaches together. They only practical way to play that is going to be with teams, an maybe only at conventions due to table space requirements (or via vassal).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.