Subject: Admit it - sometimes you just want to play Scrabble .. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: word [+] [View All]
john davidson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
..or some other really non BGG friendly game.

It's not so bad since I introduced Carcassonne(Hunters and Gatherers) to my
daughters but for a while all my 7 year old wanted to play was Monopoly (Star Wars edition).
Scrabble is better than that.

A firm favourite among the wider population (ie including wives) of my friends is Upwords and actually it too is a great deal of fun in the right context.

I'm sure this has been done before but go on..share your secret love for the kind of game BGG doesn't rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been a couple of geeklists on this topic - somone will link to it shortly.

We're big Scrabble fans. Never tried Upwords, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrabble is a brilliant game. I also shamefully enjoy the odd game of Scattergories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh sure. Scrabble is a fun game. We have upwords, but don't much care for it.

And for the right age group, Sorry is pretty good too. It even teaches young kids a lesson: How to handle it when your uncle plays "Sorry!" and suddenly knocks you from first place to last. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a problem playing Clue; I actually enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Admit it - sometimes you just want to play Scrabble ..

It:':sblanktrue:!:blankEverythingblankyoublanksaid:!:blankOh:,:blankit:':sblankallblanktrue:!: crycrycry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yep I love plaugint scarblble but no obnen ever wants to pkay weith ne, U reakky cabn;t work outr why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Xmas, I got my wife the deluxe Scrabble with the turntable and we've been playing it a lot! I enjoy the game quite a bit!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play all the time. I will not hesitate to say that she's better at me in the game, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poochie D
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
I'm surprised Scrabble isn't more popular with the Eurogamers, since it has many of the ingredients Eurogamers seem to like:

* Victory points
* No player elimination
* No perfect information
* Some luck
* Wooden pieces
* <= 90 min playing time

On the other hand, its

* American
* Popular
* More than 15 years old
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gantry Rogue
Canada
Abbotsford
BC
flag msg tools
Ogma wrote:
For Xmas, I got my wife the deluxe Scrabble with the turntable and we've been playing it a lot! I enjoy the game quite a bit!

We've had that version for about a year, very nice edition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redd
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
hacksword wrote:
I'm surprised Scrabble isn't more popular with the Eurogamers, since it has many of the ingredients Eurogamers seem to like:

* Victory points
* No player elimination
* No perfect information
* Some luck
* Wooden pieces
* <= 90 min playing time

On the other hand, its

* American
* Popular
* More than 15 years old

Ah, but it has one thing eurogamers hate: knowledge outside the game greatly affects ones ability to play it. In the case of Scrabble, the broader a vocabulary you have, the better.

Of course, I'm an Alea-worshiping, Knizia-obsessed eurogamer through and through and I love Scrabble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone hates Scrabble, it simply reflects on their vocabulary and spelling skills I think.
It's as much a skill game as Puerto Rico or Caylus and definitely takes thought and knowledge.

At my games day, a guy brought it once and couldn't get anyone to play. Finally 2 of us agreed to play with him. I asked him why he wanted to play so badly and he said, "It's the one game here I know I can win."
He came in third and about crapped when I used all my tiles on the first play of the game.
I kinda felt sorry for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
And once you admit that, you can fall into Super Scrabble on occasion: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/92882

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrabble is an excellent game. I am always up for a game (although I think it is vastly improved by a timer and works best with only two players). I have rated it a 9 but it might really deserve to be a 10

It suffers on this site because it involves information outside the context of the game itself (i.e. one's vocabularly can be an advantage and studying 2/3 letter lists is a BIG help) and it is the sort of game that lends itself to study and single-minded focus on improvement (see comments bashing chess, bridge etc.). Scrabble is a lifestyle game for many and most BGG users play many games and are somewhat biased against other people's lifestyle games (although I'm not really sure why).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
At my games day, a guy brought it once and couldn't get anyone to play. Finally 2 of us agreed to play with him. I asked him why he wanted to play so badly and he said, "It's the one game here I know I can win."
He came in third and about crapped when I used all my tiles on the first play of the game.
I kinda felt sorry for him.

Great story!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a better game than many of the highly rated here on BGG, a lot more fun to play than Puerto Rico, Ra, Settlers, etc... and one thing that people seem to value a lot on BGG (myself included) is "replay value". I don't think I've played two games of Scrabble that were near alike, and I've played many.

http://www.vidlit.com/craziest/craziest.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I always want to play Scrabble- it's a solid ten for me, and always has been.

Some folks don't like that a) the person who knows more words, or (more pointedly) who has studied more words, has a decided advantage; b) there can be a fair amount of downtime depending on who you play with; or c) just feel like mounting a general backlash against all of the old traditional games.

All these objections are silly at best. If downtime's a problem, get a timer. And of course outside studying is going to help- despite the large amount of luck (which gives Scrabble essentially infinite replayability), it's ultimately a game with an immense skill factor, and every such well-established game (such as Bridge, Go, Chess, etc.) requires the same kind of long, steep expertise curve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I can't admit that sometimes I just want to play Scrabble. In fact I never want to play Scrabble, despite that, or perhaps because, I have played it many times. The reason I rate Scrabble so low is simply because I really dislike playing (duh). Why? First because the downtime is torture. Trying to rush the game with a timer is also torture. Second because to play well requires memorizing hundreds of obscure little words that are only worth memorizing to do well at Scrabble. Third because it is incredibly susceptible to turn order binding, and since the skill of players varies much more than typical Euros, the problem is much more pronounced. Fourth, the challenge system is a kludge, and unnecessarily magnifies the skill difference between players.

But who cares if everyone doesn't share the same opinion on what games they enjoy playing? Go have a blast with Scrabble. More power to you. I certainly don't expect everyone to enjoy my favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
No, never, not ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil AnnergÄrd
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Scrabble, I don't like the local translation as much. It don't have the bag, and the bag is important. Haven't you seen the BBC tv-series version of "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outside information?
Okay, I'll challenge this idea of outside information.

Yes, you need a vocabulary, and if you're going to play Scrabble competitively, some memorization of two, three and four letter words is in order. But the key skill in Scrabble is the abliity to ANAGRAM. I don't care how big your vocabulary is, if you can't do Jumbles, your not going to win at Scrabble!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what you're saying is, not only do you need to be able to see anagrams, but you also need to memorize a bunch of words. How exactly is that a challenge to the idea of outside information? We're all saying the same thing. Many people apparently enjoy that aspect. Many people apparently don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
hacksword wrote:

I'm a Eurogamer, and I love scrabble, and rate it quite high. Scrabble is a great game that has way more strategy to it than knowing how to spell well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
So what you're saying is, not only do you need to be able to see anagrams, but you also need to memorize a bunch of words. How exactly is that a challenge to the idea of outside information? We're all saying the same thing. Many people apparently enjoy that aspect. Many people apparently don't.

Actually, what I'm saying is that anagramming is more important than vocabulary. In a casual game of Scrabble, it's not the bigger vocabulary that wins, it's the better anagrammer.

Last week my 12 year old daughter beat my wife and I at Scrabble. Our vocabulary far exceeds hers. But she has an incredible knack for anagramming.

You only have to memorize word lists if you're going to play competitively, like joining a league. But even then, that's not the predominant factor in winning.

People who complain that they lose at Scrabble because their opponent knew some obscure words have not identified the real reason they lost - they lost because their brain was not as flexible as their opponent.

Oh, yeah..and they drew crappy tiles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.