GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,494 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Playable Pinion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Gillen
msg tools
The Matriarch takes over for Nightmist in the Dark Watch and calls herself Pinion. Here is a playable version that I made up the other day when I was bored. Its completely untested and is meant to be played with newer versions of the cards ie the fowl do not say to play the top card of the villain deck on them.

PS I took a users icon to use to make her icon, I don't remember who it was, but thank you, I hope you don't mind!

Here is the text:
Front side:
25 Hp
Bird Call
POWER: Until the start of your next turn,
whenever a fowl is destroyed you may
deal 1 target 2 psychic damage.
You may play a fowl or return up to
2 fowl from your trash to your hand.

Back side:
Setup
From the matriarch deck take all fowl cards, the Mask of the Matriarch and Muninn. from nightmist’s deck add all
copies of Scouring Mist, Heedless Lash,
Mistbound, Planar Banishment, Astral
Premonition, one copy of each relic and
the two highest value versions of Call Forth, Enlightenment, and Oblivion.

Game Play
Whenever a card refers to the Matriarch
or Nightmist replace that reference with Pinion.

whenever A card in your deck uses the word hero, read it as Villain. Whenever a card in your deck uses the word villain read it as hero.

any card from your deck that would act at the start of
the villain turn instead acts at the start of your turn.

Whenever a card in your deck refers to
the magic number of another card which
is a from the matriach deck, instead
refer to that card’s own magic number.

Incapacitated
Destroy one ongoing card.

Deal 1 target 2 psychic damage.

One hero may put the top card of
their deck into play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dark Current
msg tools
mbmb
I'd have to test this out to comment any further, but this is a really neat idea. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to test this out soon. I don't think I've seen anyone else put together something like this. I've seen posts about playing as villains, but nobody has done it quite like this. If this works out, I can see 'reforming' other villains in this manner.

Are you planning further hero-villain hybridizations? If so, you might want to present the bigger picture in a single thread and then link out to your individual deck ideas.

Great work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gillen
msg tools
I wasn't planning on doing this with other villains. I just got the idea from looking at the artwork and story for one of the sentinels tactics expansions where the Matriarch joins the Dark Watch. I would be interested to see who else might be a good candidate though.

Baron Blade could follow a trend in comics of greatest foes becoming greatest allies. Maybe mix him with Legacy.

Infinitor combined with Captain cosmic could make sense.

An Expat that is leader of the Citizens of the Sun now turned good might be interesting.

Oh and of course an Omnitron crossed with Omnitron although I'm not sure that you gain much their since they already tried to essentially mimic the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
If you used the HP of the targets as the # for her spells it would work well, but I would ditch the Mask, those effects don't work great in a hero deck, as it could force play spells you'd rather not play. I'd replace it with a second copy of Enlightenment.

At that point you have Munin who would be a possible 7 for spell cards, which could be awesome or really hurt, and 15 cars that count as a 1 for spell cards. I think that would be cooler than using their own number.

A good promo card for her (using the above rules) could have the following power:

Power: Until the end of your next turn when a revealed fowl card would be discarded you may put it in play instead. Reveal the top 2 cards of your deck, play one and discard the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gillen
msg tools
Yeah using the HP was my first idea, however everything is either 1 hp (all the fowl) or 8 and 9 hp for the cohort and mask. What I do like about my method is that there are times you know exactly what you will get. I play say headless lash and can see a Matriarch card on the top of the deck, I know that that damage will be.

I also had the same thought about the mask, but Nightmist has always been somewhat random and it actually balances out some of the randomness loss I just described above. Also, I don't think there are any cards in her deck that cause you do do things you wouldn't want except for damaging herself so its just a wasted play at most. Her cards have a lot of "up to" which means you can choose 0. For example if it plays planar banishment you can choose to get rid of 0 ongoings if there are no good cards to get rid of. Also the mask heals her a 2 hp a round so it helps with any extra damage that comes her way.

Plus you really need the mask for theme right? Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both ideas sound good. There's your promo card! Just include the alternate set-up instructions that Skip suggests on the alternate character card and this deck satisfies all tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Von Chicken Pants
msg tools
If you ever activate her power twice in the same Round it'd be easy to go infinite with her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh, that's a good point, Greg.

Sefirit, when I had a similar situation with the alternate Eirelle character, I changed the power to read: "Until you use a power, ..." Since it is completely reactive, it doesn't really hurt anything. You can even spend a turn just drawing and not interrupt the power. In this case, though, you can also play more Fowl. Now, that changes little (except that you can virtually ignore any "cannot use power effects), but it does remain in effect through your next turn, meaning that you can destroy your own Fowl during your subsequent turn to kick in the power's reaction.

Basically, it prevents the power from accumulating with itself. No infinite loop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gillen
msg tools
Papathunder wrote:
If you ever activate her power twice in the same Round it'd be easy to go infinite with her.

I'm not sure I see this, can you explain it to me. At worst wouldn't a second use just mean that you get 4 damage out of each fowl? Even if you had all 15 fowl out at that point (Which I think would be very hard) you would need an effect that killed them all (not hard at all depending on your villain, heroes, and eviron) you would still top out at 60 damage from a double power use.

Essentially I only see a finite number of fowl in play so a finite damage possibility. Of course you get to play a fowl each power use but given you are only talking two power uses it is still a finite number of fowl.

I could very well be wrong though so could someone please show me what I'm missing?

If there is an infinite loop I will just change it to be until your next power use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gillen
msg tools
I'm wondering if the infinite loop is because the return from trash and play are being attached to the fowl being destroyed. This is not the intent, it should be that you can play or return fowl when you use the power and only damage happens when a fowl is destroyed. Perhaps I can change the order of those lines on the power to read as:

Bird Call
POWER: You may play a fowl or return up to
Until the start of your next turn,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Von Chicken Pants
msg tools
Sefirit wrote:
I'm wondering if the infinite loop is because the return from trash and play are being attached to the fowl being destroyed. This is not the intent, it should be that you can play or return fowl when you use the power and only damage happens when a fowl is destroyed. Perhaps I can change the order of those lines on the power to read as:

Bird Call
POWER: You may play a fowl or return up to
Until the start of your next turn,

That would be better. I think she'll be absurd with some hero set ups, and just a Hot Topic poser in others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The re-ordering of the lines in the innate power would be prudent. As it stands, it definitely looks like you can play or retrieve a trashed Fowl whenever a Fowl is destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.