Popular Tags: [View All]
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm red-green colour blind (although I mostly confuse blue and purple), and I'm wondering whether Potion Explosion has enough colour variation to be played easily by people with colour vision issues?

A lot of board games manage to work around "colour" issues by also including a different symbol for each colour (a la Ticket to Ride) but given that this game has coloured marbles, is there some way to ensure that there's no confusion between the colour on the marbles vs the potions players have to make?

I know that for the "computerised" versions of this game (Bejewelled and its clones), I usually have a terrible time because the bright yellows and greens are too close, as are the blues and purples - at least to my vision.

This game looks REALLY intriguing and I'd love to give it a try, but if I can't tell the colours apart easily it'll have to be a pass for me.

[For a poor example: I have trouble with Qwirkle in low light - blue/purple and red/orange are too close, and I usually have to hold my tiles up to the light and do lots of double checking to ensure I'm selecting the right tiles. I really wish they'd print a colour-blind friendly version of Qwirkle]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silva Lorenzo
Italy
Milano
Italy
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, we choosed a set of 4 colors that are suitable for many colorblind people.
We tested with some colorblind guys from our testing groups and we find out that the combination of black, red, yellow and blue is the best. Obviously there are different kinds of colorblindness, so this set of color could still be a problem for someone.
We texturized in different ways the colors on the potions, but was not possible to do anything with the marbles.
Try to give a look at the pics on the web and let me know, all feedbacks are good for improvements. I hope you are able to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know this is an ancient post, but since I am colorblind figured I would make a comment.

The marble colors are pretty well chosen, yellow, blue, black, red.

That said, I have seen pretty BIG differences in the actual marbles provided. Some are very transparent some are pretty much surface painted. So depending on the type you get, I could see some possible problems between red and black.

If it is your copy you could pretty easily put a stripe on all the reds/blacks or any colors that give you trouble. So it is fairly colorblind friendly, and easily fixable if you have an issue.

I mark up a lot of my games for colorblindness. Before Splendor added symbols I marked all the green symbols on cards with little dot. In dimensions we had to write "O" and "G" on all the cards with orange and green on them. So I just play my copies of those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find you have problems with the marbles in your set, you can also replace them with a variety of choices from here where you will find a choice of colour/swirl patterns: http://www.landofmarbles.com/mega-marble-nets.html

I upgraded to fancy ones just because marbles are fun ^,^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.