Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: dice [+] [View All]
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the process of building a dice tower out of 1/2 and 1/4 hardwood but I'm at a loss as to how to affix the ramps on the interior of the box. The ramp material is 1/4" hardwood and its too thin to nail and probably problematic to glue without making a big mess.

What methods are used to affix the ramps on the inside of the dice tower?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have thought about this but not attempted to build one yet. I think the best way may be to put tabs on each ramp and cut slots into the side of the tower. I believe I have seen some made that way. Though that may not be the look you are hoping for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Use a router to cut slots into the side.

Or, drill holes on the insides of the sides of the tower about half-way through the thickness of the board. Insert pegs (with wood glue). Four pegs will support a ramp. Mark spots above the ramp. Drill more holes. Insert pegs above the ramp. If desired, adhere felt or foam rubber to the ramp where it touches the pegs.

Or you could just buy one. Or build one out of Legos.

http://www.dicetower.20m.com/ $30 bucks. You'll put more time and effort into it than that.

There's also a new portable, disassembleable, lucite tower available for about $15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
another tower related question. What is a standard size? a web site i found selling premade wooden towers has 4" wide by 10" tall towers.

How many ramps are advised and what angle should the ramps be mounted at? (45 degrees?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Dye
United States
Abingdon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i used the tab method myself.
[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Pictures\Dicetower 004.jpg[/IMG]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Dye
United States
Abingdon
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry, for the big picture but it was my first time doing a picture on here. And as you can tell from the poor quality it was my first dice tower. it is butt ugly yet it was functional,blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use my tablesaw to cut slots in the tower sides for the ramps. I've made four towers that way. If you just glue them to the sides without cutting slots, they'll eventually break off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having built over 100 towers and initially gluing, I have found that you must make slots in the wood to fit the ramps into. I use a Dremel with a router attachment. Also, 4 ramps and then the final one coming out seems to be the best if you ask me. It totally randomizes the roll and keeps it in a little longer.

Thanks!

rob
www.geocities.com/crosstowngames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob,

I downloaded your plans a few weeks back and I've been thinking about them since. Thanks so much for posting them.

Right now, I've bought the wood. I may take the next daring step of drawing lines where the grooves should be routed. Next I will have to buy a table saw and router. I figure this dice tower will cost me hundreds of dollars but at least I'll get some cool tools and learn how to use them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than use ramps, I use pins to "randomize" the dice as they fall through the tower. For the pins, I use bamboo skewers (got them at the grocery store) that are passed through holes drilled in the front of the tower. They are glued into holes drilled in the back of the tower (half the depth of the wood). I then cut the skewers flush at the front and sanded them flush. It is a neat effect when stained and the dice make a satisfying sound as they tumble through.

Peace,
Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
MENTE, MANU ET INSTRUMENTUM
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason,

Very interesting. Thanks for the tip.

My son cobbled a dice tower together for me out of the sides of a wooden fruit box and duct tape. I have all cards in all games in card sleeves, so at first glance, to my eyes, the duct taped tower was an abomination. He wants to make another proper one. But, it works perfectly and we have come to use it regularly. So, it has become a sort of quasi- family heirloom as it is so quaint, personal, and unique. I'm debating whether I even want another wooden one, because then it will be just another dice tower; whereas this one has a specialness to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Daniel. Have fun with making your tower. I stopped selling towers a while back and kind of miss it. I might start selling only giant towers soon just to bring some of the enjoyment of building them back. Once you have the tools you will probably end up making other things out of wood also. I actually just finished building my own fireplace mantle.

Jason, I thought about that method with the skewers (dowel rods) early on. I'm glad to hear about a tower made that way and working well. The possibilities are endless when it comes to randomizing rolls...

rob
www.geocities.com/crosstowngames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting to hear from Jason on the subject of pins/rods. I thought that the idea was completely original and all mine when I made such a tower last year.

I tried rods running back-to-front AND side-to-side, but found that it offered no advamtage (and several disadvantages) over just having them side-to-side.

I've put a bit more about the design on my blog:
http://richarddblog.blogspot.com/

I have photos and text covering the entire design and building process that I promise I will post to the blog later

Edit - done the text; I'll add pics tonight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fade
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
RDewsbery wrote:
Interesting to hear from Jason on the subject of pins/rods. I thought that the idea was completely original and all mine when I made such a tower last year.

I tried rods running back-to-front AND side-to-side, but found that it offered no advamtage (and several disadvantages) over just having them side-to-side.

I have photos and text covering the entire design and building process that I promise I will post to the blog later

Edit - done the text; I'll add pics tonight

Man, those are SWEET!! Are you planning to start selling these? I'm afraid to ask what it would cost to get one shipped across the atlantic to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Thomas
United Kingdom
Tonbridge
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard those dice towers look amazing, but it's difficult to get any idea of size from the photo, how big are they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:

They look very cool indeed, but shouldn't the ramps go in different directions?

ooh wait, those aren't ramps, they are pegs like in that Asian gambling game. very cool. Have you had any dice get stuck in there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.