GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,928 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Power Grid: The Stock Companies» Forums » Variants

Subject: Alternate turn order for Share Round rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel D'Cotta
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Problem: In a recent game, there was one player who always had the least personal money and quit first. This gave a huge advantage to the next player (who could always go second regardless of her actions).

Solution: Turn order for Share Rounds be based on the order of quitting. To keep track, just write 1 to 6 on different small pieces of paper and use them to track order.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Same problem as in Agricola, where player on the left of the one that took First Player action wins a lot as well without any sacrifice.

The quitting order is interesting approach.

Yet there is another approach also. You might want to try that as well. It seems to be used by at least some games in 18xx family. (While yours - interestingly - doesn't seem to be used there, or at least far less.)

You could assign player order not based on quitting order, but based on cash left. Whoever got most cash left after the Stock Round ends is the first player and so on. Ties are broken by maintaining relative order.

This way player can sacrifice net worth gains (by not investing) to gain order in the next round.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
adambadura wrote:
This way player can sacrifice net worth gains (by not investing) to gain order in the next round.


It also has the side effect of making everyone's private cash public knowledge at the start of every Stock Round.

You could also go by number of shares held; buying fewer shares means gaining order in the next round.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xenongames wrote:
adambadura wrote:
This way player can sacrifice net worth gains (by not investing) to gain order in the next round.


It also has the side effect of making everyone's private cash public knowledge at the start of every Stock Round.


Good point! I didn't notice that. Mostly because in 18xx it is normal for the player's cash to be open. And I also like to play Power Grid that way.

However the cash would be revealed at the end of the Stock Round because then player order for next Stock Round is established. So that incomes from Business Round that follows are not included.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens V
Germany
Ibbenbüren
flag msg tools
Too hot to hoot
badge
Was it a car or a cat I saw?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add that another alternative would be the way it is done in 1830: get rid of the "quitting" action, players can only pass. The SR ends once all players have passed without one of them buying a share. The person sitting to the left of the last player who bought a share gets the Priority Deal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vertaler wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add that another alternative would be the way it is done in 1830: get rid of the "quitting" action, players can only pass. The SR ends once all players have passed without one of them buying a share. The person sitting to the left of the last player who bought a share gets the Priority Deal.

No, in 1830 the person sitting to the left of the last player who performed an action (buying and/or selling) gets the Priority Deal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens V
Germany
Ibbenbüren
flag msg tools
Too hot to hoot
badge
Was it a car or a cat I saw?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. In almost all games of 1830 that I've played that action was purchasing a share, but more correctly formulated, the player sitting to the left of the player who passed last gets the PD.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.