GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,493 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » General

Subject: First Play - Fun Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott YahNotHappening
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
Got Forbidden Stars as a Christmas Present, and waited exactly 1 day to get it to the table. Ended up gaming with friends that I've been playing with for 20 years. These guys are gamers, and we had been playing too many co-ops and not enough pvp games. Needless to say, we were all excited to get to blow each other up.

I'll just say, we messed up several rules. 1st, we misread the Dominate ability and thought we got the material as well as the assets, and screwed that up for 2 rounds. We also screwed up getting Material in the cleanup phase, so they sort of offset.

Secondly, we screwed up Reinforcements, allowing the player to roll the extra dice for the units they brought in. That went into the 3rd round before someone found the rule that stated otherwise.

Those were the 2 biggies, but we pushed through and finished an 8 round game that came down to a 3-2-2-2 finish in 7 hours. I think our next play will be closer to 4 hours, as we spent a ton of time looking up rules, debating what was allowed, etc.

Even with the screw ups, the game was an absolute blast and if it hadn't of been 3am when we finished we would have immediately played another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Family! It really is a game chock full of blowy-uppy goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's brilliant, and lots of opportunities to screw each other over.

Gets much faster as you become familiar. Our last two 3-player sessions both finished in Round 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott YahNotHappening
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
wow, 2 rounds seems really short. No chance to build up or anything. Not sure I'd enjoy a game of FS that only lasted 2 rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of My games end between 4-6 rounds in. The SUPER short games are when there's a few too many weakly defended objectives and a player is able to blitz them. Or if playing a game where you grab 1-2 in the first round that are weakly defended, you go last, and use all your actions to gear up to storm the last 1-2 you need and your opponents are not positioned to stop you. Set up is VERY important. You need to set up your war engine while still being mindful of defending objectives just enough to make it hard for your opponent to take them.

EDIT: I just want to also point out that Chaos and Orks are likely the only ones with the early game firepower to objective blitz and end the game before turn 5. WATCH THOSE LITTLE BASARDS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vreeland
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos especially, they get cultists the strangest places. Orks can get momentum really quickly with their spores and rokks or with an early pull of 'Ow'd we get 'ere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.