Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
"Where are you from?" "Long story. The Pacific Ocean, I guess."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell which of the two games is better, and I'd need to know since I'm looking for a good game to play with friends.

In terms of the gameplay I like best, I like complex gameplay (but not TOO much) with the addition of *some* mindless fun on occasion (whether it be racing to get to a place, or random dice rolls, etc). My friends probably want a game that's easy to learn and get into, and difficult to master or get bored of easily.

And which one is more economically the better choice, do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rogers
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
I'd cast a big vote for Blue Moon City.

Keep in mind that BMC will only play up to 4 where as Citadels will play double that (I think).

BMC gives you a lot of game in a short amount of time. Its relatively easy to teach but difficult to master. There is a lot of flexibility in the cards to pretty much do whatever you want.

I'm a big fan.

As far as Citadels goes, I was a bit underwhelmed. I liked the idea but didn't enjoy the reality of it. Often very frustrated by how limited I was to do anything.

Those are my thoughts for what its worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
The people who like Citadels really like it, and the people who don't like it really don't like it. Blue Moon City seems to have less strong feelings on either end.

Citadels is a game in which you select roles secretly. Much of the game revolves around out-guessing your opponents: "The obvious role for me to take is the Merchant, since it will give me a lot of income for my green buildings." "But everyone knows I'm the Merchant, which means if I take the Merchant, I might be assassinated." "On the other hand, they know I know that; maybe they'll think I couldn't possibly be as naive as to take the Merchant and suffer likely assassination. So maybe I can take the Merchant anyway to cross them up!" It's like that scene from The Princess Bride.

If that sort of game appeals to you (and it can be hilarious, at least if you're not on the losing end,) you should get Citadels. If not, avoid it.

Blue Moon City is much more a game about calculation, resources and efficiency. It's mostly an engineering game in which you try to squeeze out a little more from each turn than your opponents do. I dislike the fact that the first player seems to have a big advantage (I think every game I've played has been won by the first player, because the first player has a head start in the race for VPs.) Other than that, it works well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, so I guess Blue Moon City is better. I guess Citadels is really just about the role selection and little else? :S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythdracon wrote:
Cool, so I guess Blue Moon City is better. I guess Citadels is really just about the role selection and little else? :S

More or less. Select a character role, then decide on how to use their special power(s), what actions to take, what to build, and in what order.

Did you ever decide? If you still wanna try out Citadels, BSW has online play, altho it requires 4-7p to work. Best time to find other players is early noon to before evening, as that seems to work out best for all time zones considered. Keep in mind this game is based off the older, German edition of the game.

www.citadelles.net also has online play. This is more in tune with the English version that most people here seem to be familiar with. It has online multiplayer which I never tried, but the online single player vs the AI is quick and fun. There are even the expansion purple district cards, altho none of the expansion characters.

I'd say try the latter first. It's a web app with an interface that's very straightforward, and if u can't find anyone else, you can alwasy just play a game vs the comps. Either way, do check up on the rules first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys! I got Citadels due to pricing and availability in the end, and my board game group just loves it. The cards are wearing down already, just one month after I got it.

I'll look into getting Citadels, but if it's more a calculation game I'm not so sure. Is it a game like Puerto Rico or Caylus where certain actions are known and recommended by expert players (with strong opposition and debate)? Is it a game that calculated, or a game that allows some calculation but freedom based on circumstances like player psychology (as in Citadels)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythdracon wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys! I got Citadels due to pricing and availability in the end, and my board game group just loves it. The cards are wearing down already, just one month after I got it.

I'll look into getting Citadels, but if it's more a calculation game I'm not so sure. Is it a game like Puerto Rico or Caylus where certain actions are known and recommended by expert players (with strong opposition and debate)? Is it a game that calculated, or a game that allows some calculation but freedom based on circumstances like player psychology (as in Citadels)?
Did you mean Blue Moon City? You mention you got Citadels, then mention you'll look into getting Citadels? If so, haven't played BMC yet.

edit: Fixing late night post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Citadels, looking to buy Blue Moon. Not so sure though. How does the card game stack up against the board game version of Blue Moon (city)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.