GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,946 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

New York 1901» Forums » General

Subject: Cut throat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damien
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've only played a single game so far, but the area control in this game seems totally cut throat even at low player counts. "Oh look, you almost finished off that 3x3 area. Not anymore!" I didn't get this impression from the reviews I read. Am I missing something that mitigates the incentive to block your opponent from acquiring large areas of land?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
That totally depends on who you play it with is my experience. The incentive to not block is that you might not be able to claim something good for yourself before someone else blocks you. Personally, I like it as cutthroat as possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the worker used to block the opponent is not used to further your own building plans. In a game with more than two players, the "blocker" is mostly helping the other players (that is: not himself or the one he blocks). It can be a "cut your nose to spite your face" move, and rarely a winning strategy. If they do that a lot, they will eventually run out of workers and start spending their turns bringing them back and returning the building plot cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
Personally, I like it as cutthroat as possible

+1

I agree with the two above posts. To me it's like Ticket to Ride. You can waste your move and trains blocking someone but most of the time, unless it just happens to be in a convenient location, is not worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Should have clarified that my concern is mostly about 2p. I like cutthroat games at higher player count and it tends to self balance with the freeriding incentive as Tor points out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game 3 times all 2 player and I can only remember a couple of times where I was tempted to take my opponent's spot, but I didn't because I had my own agenda to take care of and I didn't want to waste a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.