GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,890 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

T.I.M.E Stories: A Prophecy of Dragons» Forums » Rules

Subject: Beacons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the thread "Legacy" Components? on the game's main site, it is being claimed that a rules clarification in The Prophecy of Dragons states that beacons must be physically broken (that is, the game component destroyed).

Is this correct? I can imagine circumstances where this might be true but I don't need any spoilers, yes or no will suffice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's weird, what if there's no beacons (of a specific color) left in the box? Will we get new ones? Or will the scenarios stop handing over beacons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooperman wrote:
On the thread "Legacy" Components? on the game's main site, it is being claimed that a rules clarification in The Prophecy of Dragons states that beacons must be physically broken (that is, the game component destroyed).

Is this correct? I can imagine circumstances where this might be true but I don't need any spoilers, yes or no will suffice.

The clarification isn't in this one. It's in the description of the Beacons in the next one, "Under the Mask"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamethyme wrote:
Scooperman wrote:

The clarification isn't in this one. It's in the description of the Beacons in the next one, "Under the Mask"
OK, sorry I misunderstood.

With any luck though we may still get a response from Mr Poulpe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Timefortravel wrote:
That's weird, what if there's no beacons (of a specific color) left in the box? Will we get new ones? Or will the scenarios stop handing over beacons?
That's why I find the claim difficult to accept, that and the fact that the card stock for the beacons is not insubstantial; ripping a card in either of the two current legacy titles (Risk and Pandemic) is easy, I think the beacons would be less so.

I won't rule it out though until there's an official response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nathan
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooperman wrote:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20870427#20870427
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
xitoliv wrote:
Scooperman wrote:

I wish I'd seen that yesterday. Or the day before, even. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xitoliv wrote:
Scooperman wrote:

Thanks for that, it confirms that the game component does not have to be destroyed. Yet neither can they be re-acquired, which seems odd to me and entirely arbitrary; the game can't stop players looking at any cards they choose, why try to enforce a limit on beacons?

It penalises under performing teams by taking away their crutch after three scenarios while more successful teams continue to be rewarded, and jars thematically: "OK team, we're spending vast sums on sending you back in time, so much so that we could only afford three of these drug capsules."

I can imagine there may be a change in how scenarios play and reward, but then why the emphasis on limited, non re-usable items when the scenario would handle it?

I'm still hoping to engage with Mr Poulpe on this query.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Poulpe
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
The way we play it, we crack the beacons open... because we're huge fans of the Legacy games (my own - yep, I won - Risk Legacy proudly stands on my desk) and we wanted to include such a mechanism in T.I.M.E Stories (hiding stuff in games is really fun, you know).

A Prophecy of Dragons insists on that point because beacons are really usable only once (for balance issues, mostly).

As I said before, if you don't want to destroy anything in your game, you can put a used beacon aside, in a special place, in order to make sure you never use it again... or earn it as a reward in a future scenario.

Thematically, well... successful agents always get better treatment and training and material. It's not fair, but it's true

As we see it, beacons are actually little quirks the time machine can use to ease the life of agents. As always, there is a cost and besides, the agency doesn't want her operatives to use them freely or to rely on them too much. Hence the "once and only" principle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Poulpe wrote:
The way we play it, we crack the beacons open... because we're huge fans of the Legacy games (my own - yep, I won - Risk Legacy proudly stands on my desk) and we wanted to include such a mechanism in T.I.M.E Stories (hiding stuff in games is really fun, you know).

A Prophecy of Dragons insists on that point because beacons are really usable only once (for balance issues, mostly).

As I said before, if you don't want to destroy anything in your game, you can put a used beacon aside, in a special place, in order to make sure you never use it again... or earn it as a reward in a future scenario.

Thematically, well... successful agents always get better treatment and training and material. It's not fair, but it's true

As we see it, beacons are actually little quirks the time machine can use to ease the life of agents. As always, there is a cost and besides, the agency doesn't want her operatives to use them freely or to rely on them too much. Hence the "once and only" principle.
Thanks for the response, to recap:

●The beacon game component does not have to be physically destroyed,
●Once used it is discarded (as described on the Beacons card),
●It cannot be re-acquired as a future reward.

If the Beacons card is ever reprinted, I think it could do with a rewrite to be more clear about how Space Cowboys want this particular component to work. For example, "discarding" something doesn't by default mean you never get to use it again - if you never got the player cards back after discarding them in Pandemic Legacy, the game would be unplayable after one session.

The component does look like a pill capsule, but I like the idea that it is a link to the agency that pulls down a special effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Poulpe
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Scooperman wrote:

That's right.
However, if you want to play the game as we do, crack these beacons open! It adds meaning to the action, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Poulpe wrote:

Even with your excellent response I'm still scared that, say, scenario 8 will still give us beacons, but they're all cracked open and put aside. Can you confirm there will be a solution in the scenario as soon as this situation arises?

Or is it more like, you still earn them, but you can't take them anymore, do it with the ones you took and may or may not be used?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Poulpe wrote:
Scooperman wrote:

That's right.
However, if you want to play the game as we do, crack these beacons open! It adds meaning to the action, IMHO.
I'll leave mine intact, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I think it's really cool, i'll just keep the used ones separate. I'd like to be able to sell this after we get done playing all the expansions. Keep them coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Poulpe
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mb
Timefortravel wrote:

Even with your excellent response I'm still scared that, say, scenario 8 will still give us beacons, but they're all cracked open and put aside. Can you confirm there will be a solution in the scenario as soon as this situation arises?

Or is it more like, you still earn them, but you can't take them anymore, do it with the ones you took and may or may not be used?

Well, these scenario boxes are a little big for a reason...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Zork
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since we play the game with multiple teams, I cannot crack them, but the information of a true single usage is good to know.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Crosby
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a description of what each beacon does? I'm a bit confused by the purple and pink ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crashcrosby wrote:
Is there a description of what each beacon does? I'm a bit confused by the purple and pink ones.

We were confused as well. Most of the iconography was in the rulebook, but there were at least two beacons that were not clearly written down anywhere. I assumed they would be something in the expansion, but I haven't played it yet. Maybe they are revealed on the cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold Jakubowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crashcrosby wrote:

The pink one is explained in the rulebook (Iconography, pg. 17): Immediately eliminate an opponent.
After seeing the iconography used on cards in Prophecy of Dragons it figures that the purple on gives you additional die in a test. But do you have to use it before making test (that's probably it) or could you help yourself after the roll - I do not know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
donmakaron wrote:
crashcrosby wrote:

The pink one is explained in the rulebook (Iconography, pg. 17): Immediately eliminate an opponent.
After seeing the iconography used on cards in Prophecy of Dragons it figures that the purple on gives you additional die in a test. But do you have to use it before making test (that's probably it) or could you help yourself after the roll - I do not know.

An extra die in a test? Well... So much for being the most hard beacon to get (finish in one run)... That can't be it, because the cheaper beacons actually let you win tests instantly. Much better than having an extra die.

Also, when you break beacons like Mr Poulpe says, you'll probably be out of one or two beacon colors/types by the end of this scenario. So that must mean Under the Mask gives you new beacons, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.