GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,203 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Possible to modify old air hockey table to gaming table? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christoph Roesch
United States
Hutto
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello Everyone,

I have been going through posts and websites on cheap gaming tables. I was checking Craigslist for free tables that I could use and found a listing of an old free air hockey table. Although I have no experience in wood working I wonder if it could probably be modified with little experience. Hopefully the picture from the ad uploaded correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some felt or perhaps thin neoprene rubber over the surface and edges and your set.

You'll want stools for sitting though I imagine as the gap under the table looks too low to tuck chairs (and legs) under.

Also depending on the table it may slope slightly from the middle, so won't be level which could affect some games.

We use a pool dining table which is shallow enough to get dining chairs under. My wife crocheted large pool balls to stuff in the pockets so no game pieces/dice get lost in the mechanism. So you'll probably want to make sure tokens can't get lost in the puck slots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just depends on what level of quality your ok with and the table itself.
I also got a hockey table off craigslist, but choose to clean and get it working again.
Mine wouldn't need much to change into a gaming table I would be happy with. So if yours is similar to mine:
Any type of handheld wood cutting tool could be used to cut the sides to bring the bottom up for better leg room.
A simple screwdriver and some yanking would remove any electronics or under-goal apparatus
adding some cloth on the surface I think would make it all very playable

If you go and look at it and the sides are just some basic panels that you think you can cut through I think its a very good possibility it would make for a great cheap build.

Make sure the legs are sturdy enough to keep from rocking back and forth, thats usually how some of theses tables got away with being cheap and there is no cheap and easy way to fix that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
A cushion of air under cards would alleviate that annoying sensation of not being able to lift your cards from the table. It would be great for dealing, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Wuerthele
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Repurposing old tables makes perfect sense, and I never even thought of an old air hockey table! I'm in the middle of converting a thrift store train table to a coffee-table height gaming table with an embedded television for maps and whatnot.

Whatnot being PinMAME.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lina B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of materials you could lay over the top of the playing surface to keep cards and bits from sliding and make them easier to pick up. I've seen folks talk about 1/4 inch sheet foam or grip mats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make one of these in an afternoon.

http://youtu.be/xSO6_UR2S3E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.