GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,439 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

A Study in Emerald (second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Restorationist Player Assassination Victory Points rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mol Eliza
msg tools
In the rulebook under ending the game it states:

A Loyalist player retains all Loyalist and neutral victory points. They lose any Restorationist victory points.

A Loyalist player will retain victory points on any cards used for assassinating other agents IF the Agent piece on the card in question belongs to a Restorationist player. Otherwise these points are lost.

A Restorationist player retains all Restorationist and neutral victory points. They lose any Loyalist victory points.

It does not mention what happens to restoration players assassination victory points. Is it the same but reversed, i.e. A Restorationist player will retain victory points on any cards used for assassinating other agents IF the Agent piece on the card in question belongs to a Loyalist player. Otherwise these points are lost. Or do they keep all assassination victory points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MolEliza wrote:
In the rulebook under ending the game it states:

A Loyalist player retains all Loyalist and neutral victory points. They lose any Restorationist victory points.

A Loyalist player will retain victory points on any cards used for assassinating other agents IF the Agent piece on the card in question belongs to a Restorationist player. Otherwise these points are lost.

A Restorationist player retains all Restorationist and neutral victory points. They lose any Loyalist victory points.

It does not mention what happens to restoration players assassination victory points. Is it the same but reversed, i.e. A Restorationist player will retain victory points on any cards used for assassinating other agents IF the Agent piece on the card in question belongs to a Loyalist player. Otherwise these points are lost. Or do they keep all assassination victory points?

The rules you quote, and the cards, are all you need. Your suggestion is just inventing something that there's no hint of in the rules. Look at an assassin card. It shows green for assassinating a red agent. Does it show red for assassinating a green agent? It does not. So there are no such points. (The rulebook also expand on this.) Thus there are only green points available for assassinating agents, and a red (restorationist) player loses the points. (But keeps those for assassinating royalty, as on the royalty card.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mol Eliza
msg tools
Thank you for the clarification on my point of confusion. I;m new to gaming and its great that there are so many helpful people out there to help clarify things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
Love the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same confusion, because I didn't know the full content of the card set when reading the rules. It's a defect in the rules, not in accuracy but in terms of making the game harder to learn just from reading the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian X
msg tools
Hobbes wrote:
I had the same confusion, because I didn't know the full content of the card set when reading the rules. It's a defect in the rules, not in accuracy but in terms of making the game harder to learn just from reading the rulebook.

I agree. Just a simple sentence like "only loyalist players can retain points for assassinating agents, and only if they assassinate agents that are controlled by a restorationist player" would have been a lot clearer. In general I feel that this rule book, like most of Martin Wallace's Rule books, contains only minute particulars, and eschews clear general statements that would help the average person get a grasp on the concepts of the game. I find that deeply frustrating.

I really wish Martin Wallace would put clear General statements in his rules, but he never does. I wish he would write a section called "obvious stuff that shouldn't even have to be said out loud". It would be my favorite section. 

Still I think it's a very interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.