Subject: Card question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Lin
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Can you use both the card that allows you to forgo spending camels, and the card that allows you to forgo gold, to get a building for free?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I would say yes. If I remember it correctly the rules say that you can play as many cards as you want on your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play as many cards as you want, but each card must be resolved independently. So no, you cannot play two cards and get a building for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
punkzip wrote:
Can you use both the card that allows you to forgo spending camels, and the card that allows you to forgo gold, to get a building for free?

Sure! Use them both, and don't pay a thing!

(you can also see this ruling in the posted French FAQ:

• Est-ce que je peux construire un bâtiment gratuitement si je joue à la fois les cartes "construire sans chameaux" et "construire sans ors"?

Bien sûr! Il n'y a pas de limite quant au nombre de cartes jouées pendant son tour (à l'exception de la défausse lors du choix d'un groupe de dés, où le nombre est limité à 1).)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
punkzip wrote:

Sure! Use them both, and don't pay a thing!

(you can also see this ruling in the posted French FAQ:

• Est-ce que je peux construire un bâtiment gratuitement si je joue à la fois les cartes "construire sans chameaux" et "construire sans ors"?

Bien sûr! Il n'y a pas de limite quant au nombre de cartes jouées pendant son tour (à l'exception de la défausse lors du choix d'un groupe de dés, où le nombre est limité à 1).)

"Internet" translation:

• Can I construct a building free if I play at once the cards "to construct without camels" and "to construct without gold"?

Of course! There is no limit as to the number of played cards during a turn (with the exception of the discards at the time of the choice of a group of dice, where the number is limited to 1).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that an official faq? That's very surprising. The wording of the answer (at least the machine translation) is a bit suspect. The justification in the answer that "there is no limit as to the number of played cards during a turn" is obvious and completely orthogonal to the question of whether cards can be combined. Yes, I realize that the first part of the answer was "of course!", but I find the justification weak.

In any case, I certainly won't play that way. I think that's a bit too rewarding for players who get both cards. Especially if they get them early.

(edited for spelling)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Granger
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to William Attia, designer of Caylus (another Ystari title), you can combine the cards to pay nothing for a building. It's here in this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/133603

Although it's not as authoratative as getting it from the designer himself, Mr. Attia's opinion carries some weight, at least with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taj Mahal, anyone?
Switzerland
Basel
Läckerli State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Semi-official. At least, there's a link to that faq on Ystari's official website in the French forum.

But then, you can always play according to your own official house rules.

[q="curtc"]Is that an official faq?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I think that's a bit too rewarding for players who get both cards.

I have no problem with it. Looking at it this way, perhaps it will seem less powerful - Think of the card as saying "Take 4 gold, usable only towards erecting a building."

Now, there are already 3-gold cards in the deck. The card gives just one more gold, but adds restrictions on how you may use the gold (not to mention the fact that you may not be using it for all 4). Comparitively, it seems like a reasonably equitable trade-off. Personally, this is ok with me, but, to each his own!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LemonyFresh wrote:
Looking at it this way, perhaps it will seem less powerful - Think of the card as saying "Take 4 gold, usable only towards erecting a building."

Now, there are already 3-gold cards in the deck. The card gives just one more gold, but adds restrictions on how you may use the gold (not to mention the fact that you may not be using it for all 4).

You seem to be addressing balance of an individual card. I have no problem with the individual building cards. Not even if a player gets both flavors. Not even if a player uses one card, pays the camels or gold to build, then uses the other card, and pays the camels or gold to build again in the same turn. It's just the combining of them that I have a problem with.

But it's certainly not a huge deal either way. A mild preference at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
LemonyFresh wrote:
Looking at it this way, perhaps it will seem less powerful - Think of the card as saying "Take 4 gold, usable only towards erecting a building."

Now, there are already 3-gold cards in the deck. The card gives just one more gold, but adds restrictions on how you may use the gold (not to mention the fact that you may not be using it for all 4).

You seem to be addressing balance of an individual card. I have no problem with the individual building cards. Not even if a player gets both flavors. Not even if a player uses one card, pays the camels or gold to build, then uses the other card, and pays the camels or gold to build again in the same turn. It's just the combining of them that I have a problem with.

What I'm saying is that it is not very different from being able to play a 3-gold and 3-camel card in the same turn - I don't think you have a problem with that, but it's practically the same thing.

What we do agree on is that it's not a huge deal ; )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
LemonyFresh wrote:

I don't believe that a player can build more than one building in a single turn. The rules specifically say that a player can build "a building."

I also don't think that it is imbalanced to let a plyer use both cards on one building to get one for free, especially early in the game. Remember that the player had to forego another action to get the card at that point and that, at best, each card is worth 4 camels or 4 gold, not an incredibly large amount, compared to what could be gained from choosing that action normally instead of a card. In other words, a player can often spend two actions to accumulate 4 gold and 4 camels and then buy a building with them. Or he can spend two actions to draw two cards and in the unlikely event that he happens to draw both the no camels and no gold, buy a building.

Sure, he could get the cards later as a result of having cubes sent to the caravan, but that's after building another building and the stars would still have to align just right for him to get those two cards from that situation.

Each of those cards are roughly equivalent to what can be gotten in an action anyway so I don't see where it is very imbalancing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Is that an official faq? That's very surprising. The wording of the answer (at least the machine translation) is a bit suspect. The justification in the answer that "there is no limit as to the number of played cards during a turn" is obvious and completely orthogonal to the question of whether cards can be combined. Yes, I realize that the first part of the answer was "of course!", but I find the justification weak.

In any case, I certainly won't play that way. I think that's a bit too rewarding for players who get both cards. Especially if they get them early.

(edited for spelling)

It's not official since I wrote this from questions on the net (and in a rush, sorry for the formulation if it's awkward). It has not been proofread by Ystari but I'm pretty sure of all the answers though since I played a good deal of my games with Cyril (from Ystari) and William.

Maybe I should re-write the FAQ... and translate it in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.