Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Medici, so does my wife. It's one of our favorite games, but it can be difficult to get to the table sometimes; so when I heard the 2-player version was coming, I was excited, because this meant we could play Medici to our hearts content. Not anymore. Not after this...

The first game we played over the holidays was a disaster. Wifey expects, unreasonably, to be able to win every game she plays, even the first "learning" games. So when we started playing she had no idea what the tiles were worth. Her final strategy in the last round was to let me win all the tile sets, hoping I was over-pricing. I won by a large margin.

Tonight we broke out the game once again. Hoping things would be different. She's Medici so she plays first.

She pulls Red 3 and Brown 4. 15 she says, and I buy them. They go on the 5-boat.
I pull Brown 1 & 3 and Red 4. Nearly the same set. I say 25. She let's me have them.
I pull a brown 3 and a blue 1. 10. She let's me have them. On the 4-boat
I pull a gold and blue 4. 15 - SHE buys them! They go on 4-boat, opposite my 4-boat.
She pulls green 3, and red 0 & 1. 25. I buy them and put them on the middle harbor with the 3-boat. I have 2 slots left.
I pull blue 3 and brown 4. 50!

At this point she starts getting upset because she's going to get locked out of the round. She's cursing the game saying how bad it sucks and she's never playing again!

She let's me buy them, and sure enough, we end the roudn with me ahead in money 310 - 285 and all the monopoly tokens on my side.

End of the game. Oh well. soblue

Any geeks have ideas on how to:

1. Help her understand this game better?
2. Ever get this game back to the table?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you ask her what strategy she's using? Is she willing to try something different? Is it clear that she doesn't need to earn money, just end up with more money (or less debt) than you?

Also, getting behind is a certain loss in this game, in my experience. So she needs to come out aggressive if that's what it takes to stay ahead or at least close to even.

I wouldn't actually try any of this because I've never won a game against my wife. I keep trying though.

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, what really happened was me pursuing this line of reasoning: "If you didn't like the position where I could offer 2 goods for 50, then what could you have done differently the moves prior to that?" Her answer was to get up and leave. :-(

And yea, clearly you don't want to get behind. In the second round, she'd have had to bid against me to get an equivalent amount of stuff, but wouldn't gain anything for her trouble, the monopoly markers being back at zero. So I would end up going into the 3rd round with a healthy lead in cash and the monopoly markers even up, or thereabouts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, don't forget that stopping you getting 10, 20 or 30 via Monopolies is the same as getting the points herself.

If you have a marker on your side for 10 and she can swing it back her way for 10, it's a swing of 20 points.

If you're filling your boats up quickly then she should jump in and buy anything just to control the auction. She could ensure that she puts more goods up for auction than you can place. This way, she can price them reasonably for herself but still more expensive than it's worth for out to dump them.

I love this game.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:
Also, don't forget that stopping you getting 10, 20 or 30 via Monopolies is the same as getting the points herself.

It seems to me like it's not quite the same; however, you have no choice but to stop it.

If your opponent is sitting on, or near, a bonus, you may find yourself forced to overpay for something; whereas, to your opponent, the same price may not be considered an overpayment, since they have considerably more potential gain.

I'm really saying that, if your opponent has bonuses, and you don't, you're behind, and you're going to lose. That's my very limited experience. What do you think?

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In that case, it's probably better to fight for the other commodities. Let them overpay and you take some other commodities at lower prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.