United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
First off I want to say I like MMP. I mean I sport their microbadge that I created myself (Note I am one of only two who has bought this new badge so far. Where is the MMP love people?) so as you can see I do like the company. However I have one beef. I hate their boxes. They look nice and are very sturdy but they simply aren't deep enough for wargame boxes.

Case in point. Today I'm punching out my copy of Shifting Sands (I highly recommend this game). I'm putting the cards in sleeves (all my CDGs get sleeves for their cards) and I decide to put in two counter trays. I usually use ziplocks for most games but with lots of different counters types in Shifting Sands I decide to go with counter trays for once. Also since it looks like one counter tray will not be enough to hold the counters I decide on two, which also has the advantage of each player having their own tray with all their chits right there on their side where they can get to them easy. Unfortunately the MMP box is so shallow that it won't hold 2 counter trays. Even with the card decks split into three seperate decks for each side you can only fit one counter tray in the box.

Now I don't want to rant to much on this because as I said I like MMP and I love the game so far. However it might not be such a bad idea for MMP to put out their games in deeper boxes like the size GMT uses which are plenty deep for multiple counter trays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
My main reason for wanting depth is the counter tray issue you mentioned above. With shifting sands, it's hard to cram cards as well a counter tray in that little box. Mercifully, SS doesn't have that many coutners.

A game box like Combat Commander may seem a bit deep at first......But after I sleeved all the cards and plopped in 2 counter trays, it's perfect.

A victory Lost and the ASL SK box sizes are adequate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Wonder Computer of the 1980s
badge
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian,

I agree with you about the depth. The SKs don't bother me too much, because I've combined the counters with my regular ASL ones in a craft box. However, in cases where you want to keep the counters in a tray in the box--more depth is needed.

However, I must say that I have been won over by the use of the Gamers style boxes. I was not a fan initially, but they have proven to be quite strong at the corners, and most importantly shelf-wear resistant. They are still prone to crushing though, so vertical placement is a must... no stacking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
My options now look to be just ziplocks although even then that's going to be crowded in that box. Counter trays will have to be out because I would have to store the counters in two counter trays in a seperate box which is just impractical I think. Makes you appriciate the deep boxes GMT uses and the old bookcase boxes Avalon Hill used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.