Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zoe
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember the saying "Beginner's Luck"? Well, this certinly rings true for me! Since I was a child people would look down at me with a dejected face and spew out those two words in disgust as I humbly smile.
I chalked up another one today as my man and I played Puerto Rico (for the first time of course).

After hearing the rules I quickly desided to focus on the Doubloons and purchasing high victory point buildings, and not so much on production. This worked to my advantage for he sided heavly on production and settled for 1-2 VP buildings. I did manage to snag the high producing coffee and tobacco and traded them often. I made sure I had a quarry and gained 2 large buildings, the Residence and the Guild Hall. In the end I believe they put me over the edge. The final VP collected during the game gave him 26 and me 25. With VP scored from the buildings,the score came to me leading 51 to 44. Last we tallied the VP from the Large buildings to end the game with him 50 and me winning with 66.

So needless to say I liked the game, but unfortunetly for me more often than not my wins over him remain a "first time only" kinda thing.
The only answer to this is to keep him buying more games so I can keep on tasting sweet victory!

~ZOE~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time I played in a five player game, this too is how I achieved victory.
A large market, office and coffee with many trips to the trader and I was able to purchase two of the large buildings, the Fortress and Guild Hall.

If you realize early on that the competition is going to out produce you and you do not feel you can catch up quick enough. Going the economic path as I like to call it is a viable strategy and wins more often than loses.

Dubloons are the focus early, VP's late... somewhere in the middle you should gradually shift focus from Dubloons to VP's. Early to mid is where you decide whether or not you can catch the other people production wise.

It sounds to me like you grasp the game well, and "beginners luck" had nothing to do with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.