Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Sanheim
Canada
Coppersands
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of discussion. - Plato.
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is this, can a player who is not the active player, trade 3:1 with the bank?
The rules state,
All trades must include the currently active player.
As such, I think the answer to my question is no.
This would be similar to 5-6 settler games where you can build but not use ports or banks to trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
Canada
Nobleton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we played it, we interpreted the term "active player" as the player who is currently trading/building, not the player who's turn it is. As such, that player was allowed to perform trades with any other player (not just the current-turn player) and make use of 3-1 trades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sanheim
Canada
Coppersands
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of discussion. - Plato.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, never thought of that, but that does make a great deal of sense to me. Thanks for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paull
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
James, Michael has it correct.

Also... to be clear, each player may exchange 3 gold (during their phase) as a 'joker'. In other words, if you're lacking a horse, you simply pay 3 gold to the bank in its place. You do not trade 3 gold for a chance to draw from the 'beast' resource pile.

--JP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Paull wrote:
each player may exchange 3 gold (during their phase) as a 'joker'. In other words, if you're lacking a horse, you simply pay 3 gold to the bank in its place. You do not trade 3 gold for a chance to draw from the 'beast' resource pile.

But only once each turn. And I'm not sure you can exchange it for a horse if that's what you need. If you review the Professor Easy tutorial at the Catan web site (profeasy.com), the three gold only allow you to draw blindly from the pasture deck for a chance to get a horse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
Jeff Paull wrote:
each player may exchange 3 gold (during their phase) as a 'joker'. In other words, if you're lacking a horse, you simply pay 3 gold to the bank in its place. You do not trade 3 gold for a chance to draw from the 'beast' resource pile.

But only once each turn. And I'm not sure you can exchange it for a horse if that's what you need. If you review the Professor Easy tutorial at the Catan web site (profeasy.com), the three gold only allow you to draw blindly from the pasture deck for a chance to get a horse.

Look at it again the profeasy.com is clear that the 3-1 trade of resources is for a chance to draw, but the 3 gold is for the horse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmartinc wrote:
Look at it again the profeasy.com is clear that the 3-1 trade of resources is for a chance to draw, but the 3 gold is for the horse

The rulebook says the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.