Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it out? It sounds amazing on paper, but the lack of activity here makes me wonder whether it has even been released. Has it been released? The only other thread in this section claimed it was coming out at Gencon 2006.

Anybody have experience with this or know when it'll be distributed widely in the states?

Just curious, it sounds neat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
From the ratings, there's one shill 10 and everyone else rates it 3 or below with a complaint of terrible rules and a long boring game. I wonder if they dropped the ball on the English rules that were supposed to come out in 2006. From the photos it looks like there was at least a production version but maybe it only came out in France.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Humm.. Ok, I had my suspicions that it probably hadn't been released yet. Odd that the scores would be so low without somebody taking the limited effort of writing an impression.

Oh well.. guess the french don't like to type in english.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a French copy (the English version doesn't seem to have been released) and have had help from a French-speaking friend to prepare a translation. I am also working on paste-ups for the cards.

Not played yet due to the amount of text on the cards and therefore feeling the need to have them pasted up before trying it but it doesn't look too bad; the only thing that bugs me is rolling dice to move spaces on the board but I can see our group just agreeing to everyone moving 4 spaces to save messing around.

When I have the translation finished (with images from the original cut and paste into it) I'll be posting it on this site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Sancy
Belgium
Zaventem
B
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The material is wonderful, absolutely wonderful. The game is painful, absolutely painful. If you like to roll dices to move a pawn for hours, try Monopoly. It's faster. If you're looking for a deduction game, try Clue. It's smarter. This game stuff is a kind of running joke in my group of buddies. We call it London 0000. Sorry to be so negative, but I have to warn you that the wonderful packaging hides a poor content. At least, give it a try before buying it. If you don't fall asleep, then buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the game, but I think it's the french version. Anyways, I don't think the text is that much important, many of the text is only there for the mood of the game.

If have not played anough to give you a good critic of the game. You see in our game we were playing late so we were not expecting to end the game, but it happened that we ended the game. You see in the first turn, the first player to play made his first investigation ( the 2 police in the police station) and he found jack the ripper. So half of the game, interrogation phase, was simply skipped. So now we had to kill jack, and we succeed. It was a hell of a chase.

One of the problems I could see in this game is that each game will look similar since it need to somewhat follow history. There might be scripted actions that will be done all the time. OF course the game seems long because in our game, hunting jack took an hour. But it was cool.

So I compare this game to Arkham Horror, it's a strong theme game where the goal is to create an ambiance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Reading on trictrac.net http://www.trictrac.net/jeux/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48213, apparently there was a fairly recent reprint of the French edition with some rules clarifications and cleanups, and a board modification of some kind. My ability to read French is not what it once was, so it's hard to tell whether this game just needs a bit of tweaking to make it go (including some add-on house rules and equipment) or whether it's just not worth it, but some people seem to like it a fair bit.

Still no signs of an English-language version, though (hello? Asmodee?) It's all such a pity, because damn it looks beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Paradis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
After quickly surfing the link to that french forum, it seems that the first draft of the rules had a lot of holes. Lots of grey zone that are being corrected in the new version of the rules.

The overall rating of the game seems to depend a lot from player to player. What this game does perfectly is create a mood and a great atmosphere to the game. On the other hand, if you are not particularly interested in the fluff of the game everything might seems like running around trying to aquire object and overall beat the thicking clock created by the draw of card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Where does one obtain a copy in the US? I take it that there is a Canadian supplier? How hard is the French-language game to play for non-Francophones (assuming someone can teach the game)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Borg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a new edition in English up on kickstarter now. Haven't played it and don't know much about it, but it can be interesting.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/344757045/london-1888-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.